Ocean view 2 berth cheaper than inside twin??

bazzaw

One of the online TA's has pricing for the Pacific Dawn later this year - showing prices for an "ocean view 2 berth" being (much) less than an "inside twin".

Obviously it has to do with the actual cabins (perhaps the ocean view 2 berth is a couple of hammocks in the bow somewhere (anchor locker) ? :o) I am not familiar with the layout of the ship - would anyone care to comment please

Thanks

Barry

Hi Barry,

We have booked one of these cabins for our cruise in October. It is T grade and is midships on Fiesta deck, (deck 4) across from the medical centre. It has bunks and a porthole.

Our 9 day cruise was $995.00 each. I am keen to find out what these cabins are like and will post photos when we get back, provided we haven't been upgraded. If we are upgraded, I plan to go down and see if I can have a look at one of them.

After this cruise, it is back up to our balcony cabin for our cruise next March. A step up of 6 decks. :D

Hi Barry & Jen,

I had a close look at a T grade cabin on the Pacific Sun when friends of mine found that the cabin allocated to them had crew living in it. They were given a T grade cabin. On the Pac Sun, it is rather like Barry suggested - 2 hammocks in the front of the ship. Well, not quite. The cabin is about two-thirds the size (maybe three-quarters) of a normal cabin and it has two bunks, one above the other. Bathroom is as normal. From what I have heard, the cabins on the Pac Dawn are similar, although they are not in the bow. For someone wanting an economical trip, I think it might be the way to go. At least you are on the ship.:):)

Hi Barry & Jen,

I had a close look at a T grade cabin on the Pacific Sun when friends of mine found that the cabin allocated to them had crew living in it. They were given a T grade cabin. On the Pac Sun, it is rather like Barry suggested - 2 hammocks in the front of the ship. Well, not quite. The cabin is about two-thirds the size (maybe three-quarters) of a normal cabin and it has two bunks, one above the other. Bathroom is as normal. From what I have heard, the cabins on the Pac Dawn are similar, although they are not in the bow. For someone wanting an economical trip, I think it might be the way to go. At least you are on the ship.:):)

These T grade cabins on Pacific Sun are also known on CC as the 'Haunted' (thanks to Chez's Andy) or 'Rooten' (courtesy of Jenny/Icemaiden I think) cabins.

These T grade cabins on Pacific Sun are also known on CC as the 'Haunted' (thanks to Chez's Andy) or 'Rooten' (courtesy of Jenny/Icemaiden I think) cabins.

haha, "Rooten" cabin! The mind of an Aussie wonders at this one and wonders if gymnastics are involved with two bunks and a small cabin!:D

I am sorry but i just could not resist!

Rooten

Not Icemaiden, but from a review by Anissa72 on Pacific Star. The cabin on Pacific Star was M cat near the anchor (berthing ropes and chains on the deck above). The rooten term was originally a mis-spelling of rotten, but has since been applied to any less than romantic cabins with anchoring noise (T-grade on Pacific Sun)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/report.php?p=11981423

Hang on a minute, does this mean that our T grade on the Dawn might be a rooten cabin? :eek: :D :D :D ;)

Hang on a minute, does this mean that our T grade on the Dawn might be a rooten cabin? :eek: :D :D :D ;)

Jen,

Ummmmm I thought ALL cabins had the possibility of being "rooten" cabins, so I think you will still be in luck!!lol :D

Trish

Jen,

Ummmmm I thought ALL cabins had the possibility of being "rooten" cabins, so I think you will still be in luck!!lol :D

Trish

Degree of difficulty is much higher in bunks, but where there's a will.... :D

I will have to mention this to my husband as we were originally going to go for a t grade, but now have a regular cabin. He will be ever so disapointed he missed out on a 'rooten' cabin.;)

But as Trish has mentioned they all probably potentially are!:D

Keep in mind that the higher deck cabins, with balcony etc. experience a greater amount of movement in rough seas. Lower decks closer to the centre of the ship in each of the three directions, move about less.

Also, on the PS at least, some of the balcony cabins are adjacent to a public access deck which means anyone on that deck can get a pretty good view inside the cabin, unless the curtains are drawn.

On advantage (?) of inside cabins without a window is that you don't know whether it is daylight or night outside. So for people who like to party into the early hours, you can sleep in as long as you like without being bothered by sunlight. You just flick on the TV to the shipcam channel to see what sort of day it is outside and whether it is worth getting up or not?!

By the sound of them, rooten cabins would have the same greater amount of motion in ruff or calm seas no matter what part of the ship they put them!:D

Now to see if parents can mind the kids for the next two years so i can book a rooten cabin ever week!:D

The mind boggles for a married man!lol

Lol, dont need to as my wifes a perfect ten to me!

I am going to run and show her this post{hopefully i get to point my toes and dont get the usual slap over the back of the head, just kidding of course :D}.

Hows the head this morning?????:D :D

Archived