Salmon Bake worth it?

sshipo

Trying to decide if we should add the Salmon Bake to our Juneau plans. My DM said it should not be missed, but DW wonders why we are paying for dinner. Any thoughts on the salmon bake excursion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

A few years ago we did a couple of shore excursions that included Salmon Bakes. They were excellent -- unlimited grilled smoked salmon.

But what I have read from some people here -- it is no longer unlimiyed salmon.

This could be the reason why HAL offers a really terrific salmon bake on their ships by the Lido Pool.

Trying to decide if we should add the Salmon Bake to our Juneau plans. My DM said it should not be missed, but DW wonders why we are paying for dinner. Any thoughts on the salmon bake excursion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It's been a good number of years since I took part in this. It was for lunch, not dinner. Since that time, I have been trying to re-create the taste of the salmon that I experienced on the tour. If you like salmon, this should be a great experience.

A salmon bake is one of the few things that could tempt me about cruising Alaska. I wouldn't miss it.

We have salmon grilled at the pool sometimes for lunch on Maasdam's Canada/New England cruises and we love it. I'm sure Alaska's has to be wonderful.....but salmon is about my favorite meal.

Thanks!

Yes, yes, yes.

Several years ago we did the Salmon bake out of Juneau and it was great!

I was like you, I thought it might be very lame. I still remember the meal and have tried to duplicate the salmon and the sweet potatoe dish that they served. I have looked everywhere for the receipe for that sweet potatoe and apple cassorole dish, if anyone knows it please share. Enjoy I know you will love it.

This is a MUST!!!! My husband and I went 2 yrs ago and we still rave about it. He is usually just Ok with eatting fish but he LOVED this. I do not eat fish but loved the chicken and ribs with all the fixings. You have to sign up for this event.

Has anyone done the Gold Panning excursion with Salmon Bake? Some friends and I are considering it for our July cruise on Westerdam. I've cruised Alaska 4 times and still haven't done a Salmon Bake - I think it's time! :) I'm curious about others' experiences with the combined bake/panning!?

It leaves at 1:30 and lasts "approx. 3 hours", so it sort of falls in between lunch and dinner.. but that's okay, we'll call it a salmon "snack"?

Moriah

I do not care for salmon but I would also still recommend going! The scenery by the river is lovely and you can get on a shuttle any time you are ready to go so if you are not enjoyng it, hop on an early shuttle. I have a feeling you will not do that though because it is a very nice place. Have a great time!

Thanks!

We did the salmon bake in 2004. The bake itself is a production line of salmon, corn, potato salad, beans, etc. The best part , for us, was walking over to the adjacent stream and waterfall and watching the salmon swimming up stream and trying to get up the waterfall. I would recommend you go and take the time to experience the beautiful forest, stream and waterfall.

Has anyone done the Gold Panning excursion with Salmon Bake?
Where? We've done the gold panning in Fairbanks and a salmon bake in Juneau, and thought they were both fun. Where are they combined?

We did the Salmon Bake and gold panning a few years ago. Basically they hold the salmon bake near a creek and you a pan to mess around with in the water. Most of us gave up panning for gold rather fast. It was a kind of overcast day with some sprinkles. One guy claimed to have found a tiny, little nugget. The food wad good.

We went to regular salmon bake two years ago. It was very good. They had a shuttle bus that made regular runs back to the ship so you could stay as long as you liked.

This could be the reason why HAL offers a really terrific salmon bake on their ships by the Lido Pool.

We have salmon grilled at the pool sometimes for lunch on Maasdam's Canada/New England cruises and we love it.

I'm in agreement that the salmon bake HAL does at pool side was the best, JMHO. I think that was the high point of our Alsaka cruise a few years ago:D .

John

Oh John..... I'm so happy you said that. ;) You saved me stressing that I should give in and fly cross country, do an Alaska cruise that I've never wanted to do, just to have the salmon bake. Now I know I can happily stay here on the right coast and enjoy it just as much on Maasdam!! :)

Archived