Wow! Just found this board...

Terre

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad you liked it...it is time consuming and I can't do a lot of what I would like, but it's a start. There are some great sites out there from CC members!

My husband and I are first time cruiser (I was went to Ensenauda when I was 13 1/2... I am now 31 and dont remeber much of it). this is the first time I have booked my own cruise and I am nervous about what to do. I love CC and when I saw your site, I fell in love with that one to. It gave me a lot of ideas and what I should and should not do. Thanks for the information.

My husband and I are first time cruiser (I was went to Ensenauda when I was 13 1/2... I am now 31 and dont remeber much of it). this is the first time I have booked my own cruise and I am nervous about what to do. I love CC and when I saw your site, I fell in love with that one to. It gave me a lot of ideas and what I should and should not do. Thanks for the information.

You are so welcome. I hope some of the tips were helpful. I know you will love your cruise and become addicted just like the rest of us on CC. The people on these boards are pretty good at helping you, too, so don't be afraid to ask questions and just research the ports of call boards for ideas on excursions.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have enjoyed looking at your pictures from Hawaii. We flew over several years ago but only went to Maui and Oahu. I want to go back and cruise the islands. Did you like the NCL or do you like Carnival better. We just got back from an Alaska cruise on NCL and we have been on several Carnival and RCCL cruises. I was a little disappointed in NCL. How did you get the upgrade mid week to the suite? That was really nice.

Looking at your pictures from the Carnival Liberty makes me want to go back to the Western Caribbean especially Ochos Rios. We did not see anything that was as pretty as I saw in your pictures. We also went to Dunn River Falls which I enjoyed the first time but not as well the second time.

These boards have been a big help. I wish I had know about them before we had gone on our other trips.

I have enjoyed looking at your pictures from Hawaii. We flew over several years ago but only went to Maui and Oahu. I want to go back and cruise the islands. Did you like the NCL or do you like Carnival better. We just got back from an Alaska cruise on NCL and we have been on several Carnival and RCCL cruises. I was a little disappointed in NCL. How did you get the upgrade mid week to the suite? That was really nice.

Looking at your pictures from the Carnival Liberty makes me want to go back to the Western Caribbean especially Ochos Rios. We did not see anything that was as pretty as I saw in your pictures. We also went to Dunn River Falls which I enjoyed the first time but not as well the second time.

These boards have been a big help. I wish I had know about them before we had gone on our other trips.

Thanks for your compliments! I do like NCL, but for the Pride of America, the food wasn't as good as Carnival's. W got the penthouse suite because we had talked to the hotel director about our cabin...it was directly over one of the lounges and we couldn't sleep. We'd complained three nights in a row and after talking with him nicely about it, he said they didn't have anywhere else they could move us. He offered us an OBC first, but we told him we really weren't trying to get anything, just wanted it quieter so we could sleep. He bought our dinner in the Lazy J's Steakhouse that night and when we went to the past guest party that evening before dinner, he pulled me out of the reception line and said that the suite had just opened up. What happened was the family who had it had an emergency at home and had to leave that day. It was wonderful!

I would love to hear about your Alaska cruise; that's our next one. We had booked one to Alaska for May of last year, but a week before final payment, USAirways canceled both our flights and rebooked us getting there AFTER the ship left and leaving Seattle BEFORE the ship got back! Well, there were no other flights that would work for us so they gave us our money back and we canceled the cruise. That's when we took the Destiny's Southern itinerary.

The first time we went to OR, we did the falls. I enjoyed that, but really had no plans to do anything there this time around. These boards are great and they've been a big help to us over the years.

Now go book that Western cruise!

We would like to do another cruise to Alaska but instead of doing a round trip I think it is really better to leave out of Vancouver and sail to Seward or one like that. That would be my advise. Check out these before you book, that is what we will do next time.

There is nothing like seeing the Glaciers. You definitely want a balcony where you can see and hear the glacier. There is nothing like feeling of being right there with it and hear it cracking or see it break off and hit the water. One of the rangers would tell all about the glacier. He said the people on their balconies could hear the sound that they could not hear from the top where they were. The captain will stay in one spot for a while and then he slowly turns the ship around so it doesn't matter what side you are on you still get to see everything.

The train ride in Skagway is really something you would want to see but I think I told you earlier that my advise on that was to do the bus up and the train back. We did the round trip and we did enjoy it but the people we talked to that did the bus and train saw a lot more because as you know you see the same thing going and coming you are just on a different side. One side is mountain the other side is looking out and straight down.

In Ketchikan the Lumberjack show is really interesting but it is only an hour long so you can do the Salmon Bake or something else. There is a lot more to see than we got to see. My sister was with us and she likes to shop so we walked around town after the show. It is a neat town.

Juneau was a pretty placeand everything is so clean looking in all of Alaska. We actually so more eagles in Juneau than anywhere. As we were riding through town going to Mendenhall Glacier they would be sitting up in the trees. I was disappointed that we did not get to do the Mendenhall River Float. A friend of mine had done this before and said it was a "must do". We booked it well in advance on line but when we got to our cabin and our ticket were there that excursion had been canceled. They said the river was still frozen. There were huge chunks of ice all out there when we got to the glacier by bus but it was still a disappointment. This excursion was also a whale watching tour which was very interesting. I would recommend this.

I don't think I will get DH back on an NCL cruise again. He was not impressed. He definitely prefers Carnival or RCCL and as much as I love cruising which ever one he wants to go on that is where I will go just so I can cruise. I think I could live on one:) .

Hi Terre, I believe we were your neighbors on the Dec 15th sailing. We were in suite 10502 and started the week with neighbors from Japan (we believe) and ended the week with a different couple. If so, what did you think of your AD? We are taking DW's dad and that room adjoins 10502 with an inside door. An owners suite and an AD together should be quite a nice space!! Great pictures on your site!

Hi Terre, I believe we were your neighbors on the Dec 15th sailing. We were in suite 10502 and started the week with neighbors from Japan (we believe) and ended the week with a different couple. If so, what did you think of your AD? We are taking DW's dad and that room adjoins 10502 with an inside door. An owners suite and an AD together should be quite a nice space!! Great pictures on your site!

We loved the suite, it's very spacious and I wasn't exaggerating when I said the beds made a king and half. I did think the mattress was a little uncomfortable, though, we could have used the egg crate mattress on it. I loved having that much room and the balcony is wonderful on that suite. You can't go wrong with it.

Sorry we didn't get to meet y'all. DH may have talked to you around the balcony wall. Thanks for the compliments...I took over 900 pictures on that cruise and couldn't decide which ones to upload on Webshots. I know I put way too many!

Archived