Norwegian Jewel

travelscot

Four of us just back from the Baltic Capitals cruise on the Jewel out of Dover. It is a terrific itinery and we would recommend it to any one young or old.

We were also impressed with the NCL organisation from check in to disembarkation.

We did use the specialty restaurants a lot but they were worth the extra money.

Of course the weather was unusualy ward for the area we were told, sunshine every day!!:) :) :) !!!

Glad to hear you had a good time.

I was just now logging in to find out about shuttles in port...I think I read somewhere that for several of the ports, NCL provided shuttle service. Is this true? And in which ports was this an option? Do you recall where the drop offs were?

Thanks!

Glad to hear you had a good time.

I was just now logging in to find out about shuttles in port...I think I read somewhere that for several of the ports, NCL provided shuttle service. Is this true? And in which ports was this an option? Do you recall where the drop offs were?

Thanks!

Only shuttle offered was in Helsinki- drop off near Stockmans $8.00 US pp round trip. There were ho/ho busses at the pier in Copenhagen and Stockholm- expensive and unreliable (in Copenhagen) Also the dailies gave no info on walking distances to town or transportation options to town for any of the ports except Helsinki, so do your homework.

...Also the dailies gave no info on walking distances to town or transportation options to town for any of the ports except Helsinki, so do your homework.

Though I am pretty much an NCL supporter, this is an area that they are very weak in. Basically, we are in port, take a tour with us, or "good luck". It sure would be nice if they at least told you what the local options were to just go into town, or at least get out of the dock area. You are usually pretty much on your own.

Hi Travelscot again. Cruise Director was Soozy I am afraid I do not know her surname. She was fine but we did not meet her personally.

Only shuttle was in Helsinki and that took you close to the downtown.

Rest of the time we walked into town. Tallin was a short walk. Copenhagen was longer but on the way we saw the little mermaid statue a nice stroll to there. Stockholm was quite a way but I think you can get a local bus or a hop on hop off boat. Warnemunde is a short walk.

St Petersburg is the problem. If you do not go into town by an NCL excursion or a privately arranged tour you will need a Visa. (I do not recommend even trying this one! )

We did the "Berlin on your own" NCL excursion which is a bit pricey but well organised as far as getting you to downtown Berlin and back.

Though I am pretty much an NCL supporter, this is an area that they are very weak in. Basically, we are in port, take a tour with us, or "good luck". It sure would be nice if they at least told you what the local options were to just go into town, or at least get out of the dock area. You are usually pretty much on your own.

I agree 100 %. I had a wonderful cruise and the lack of info is my only complaint. Didn't notice public bus #26 in Copenhagen. In Stockholm there was a last minute change in the location(we docked at the Viking terminal) of where the ship was suppose to dock but no mention was made in the dailies. There was a boat transfer option but wasn't available til 10:00 am. We decided to take a cab to town so we could beat the crowd at the Vasa museum and cost around $25.00 US; I would recommend finding another couple to offset the cost. I am sure there was public buses but being a Saturday they run less often.

Archived