Formal Nights on Diamond Princess

bob c

I am going on a cruise tour to Alaska on the Diamond Princess from Sept.1 to Sept.13 2008. I have chosen anytime dining, and my question is do they have formal nights in the anytime dining rooms? Also, could anyone please tell me what the weather is like in early Sept. Thank You.:)

Yes they have formal nites in the Anytime dining rooms. They are the same as the Traditional. it is formal nite everywhere on the ship except for the buffet. I also have been on a cruise to alaska in Sept. but the first part. As you get nearer to the middle and end of Sept. it can get dicey. Quite frankly it is like any month in the summer for Alaska. You just never know what the weather will be. I have had rain in July but nice weather in Sept. Just go prepared for just about everything.

marilyn

Anytime will have the same formal nights as traditional and also the same menu's nightly.

We were on the Diamond in September 2006 - the weather was warmer than I expected but remember to layer as it does get cold.

It was very cold being next to the glaciers, we had very little rain and did enjoy the hot tubs with the stunning scenery gliding by.

The weather can change from week to week and the Cap't did say that we had the best weather the second week than they had had all season.

Enjoy - We love the Diamond and Alaska was amazing:D

Yes to the anytime formal nights, but I've found them to be not too too formal on the Diamond in Alaska. A blazer or sport coat is fine. I saw a few gents in just a shirt and tie as well, though not too many of those.

You are moving into the cooler (not cold) and wetter part of the season so I would definitely pack a wind/waterproof jacket, sweater or fleece to wear under it, hat/cap, gloves, some leather shoes that you have sprayed with waterproofing and if you feet get cold easily then some wool socks.

I agree there was a mixed amount of formal on formal night in Anytime Dining; not as many black ties as I expected and a few plain shirts and ties on men.

For the weather, I had friends visit Anchorage and Ketchican last year (not cruising). They had light raingear, wool sweaters and some long-sleeved shirts that they inter-changed depending on the day, and got along just fine.

Just returned from Alaska on the Golden. (Sailed 6/7/08) I don't know about weather in September, but it was cold up there. Being hearty midwesterners, we did not take winter jackets, and thought we could get by with fleeces and rain ponchos. For the most part, that was OK, but I would go up a step to light winter wear next time. And wow, did it rain! Make sure you have rain gear and hats (ball caps are fine) no matter what. The bars sold a lot of coffee drinks.

We did anytime dining and I agree with the above-posters re: formal nights.

The cruise was great, although the Golden could use a bit of re-furbishing here and there.

Ohiodoglover

Archived