Scared of Spiders! Question

Fifthcruise

I am deathly afraid of spiders and was wondering if there a lot of spiders on Roatan island? We want to book something to see the monkeys but I am nervous there will be big spiders..can anyone tell me what they saw from their experience there?

TIA

I am deathly afraid of spiders and was wondering if there a lot of spiders on Roatan island? We want to book something to see the monkeys but I am nervous there will be big spiders..can anyone tell me what they saw from their experience there?

TIA

We didn't go see the monkeys, but we did zipline through the jungle. I didn't notice any spiders. I think if they were there, I would have noticed, since I'm not fond of them either.

Roatan is a "jungley" island and it certainly has its share of bugs (mostly no-see-ums....tiny mosquitoes or flies that bite) and sand fleas. We didn't see many bugs, but we did have some small, itchy bites at the end of the day. :0

• 3 weeks later...

In Roatan, ask a local where the monkey's are to hold and have your picture taken. There is a family who has them in their backyard close to the pier.

I held one for about a half hour. The monkey was a baby and very clean as were the other monkey's and cages. I think I tipped them $5 and we got a lot of nice pictures and they were very happy.

I remember it was to the right when we got off the dock and onto the main road. Just ask a local. they are very friendly here.

I am also very afraid of spiders but I still travel to tropical destinations. Realize that if you are constantly looking for them then you will likely see some. We have been to Mexico several times and have seen some doozies. I never found them on my own but rather locals pointed them out to me. They tend to be off the beaten path and in webs that aren't disturbed. Walk as close to the centre of the path and avoid brushing the foliage if you can.

I don't know about the particulars for Roatan though. I just find that by discussing my fears with the locals I can learn a lot. I learned that in the area of Mexico I frequent that the spiders there are essentially harmless. Once I know that then I can relax and enjoy myself.

Archived