Honest Opinions please

Gingee

You are gorgeous !!! I love it, love it, LOVE IT! I don't think it looks too young or too full on the hips either.

My only suggestion would be a great strapless, just a little more "oomph" but even if you wear that bra, you would look fab-u-lous!!

Just wonderful, I wish I was as pretty as you...what a lucky girl to have found a perfect dress at a steal of a deal too!

Thanks for the compliments. Those are sweet. As far as the bra thing, it is a padded type dress. I am hoping when the straps get moved up more, so will that area. Umm. I am not wearing a bra. LOL

I love the dress, personally. I also think that it looks festive and fun, but not juvenile. As many other posters have said, they would not have known it was from the prom dress department if you had not told us. A good strapless bra or some adjustments to the bra area of the dress is all it needs! Great bargain- my kind of thing!

I got a great dress at JCP myself in February of this year that I will wear on one of the casual nights. It's a Jones NY, originally over $100.00 that I got for $14.99. It's black with aqua polka dots, and it's a good fit.

Rather than searching for a bra (Which will cost twice as much as the dress) have cups sewn into the dress. We did this for all my daughter's prom dresses and other formals and I've started to do it for mine too. You can get various sizes and styles at a fabric store such as Joann's or Hancock's. Get some with a little padding at the sides and underneath to give you the uplift you want. When you get them home, try them with the dress and adjust them the way you like. You can whipstich them in place once you have them the way you want them, or secure them with 2 sided fabric tape.

Okay I will tell my age and then you guys may change your mind. I am 53 - 5-1 and weight - sush. LOL The dress does have lots of layers - kind of that netting stuff. My husband can't understand why I want different dresses each time.

You're 53???? WOW - you look fabulous, I hope I look that good at 53. I agree with the other posters - take the straps up a bit and you're good to go. But here's the important question - How do you feel in it? Nothing is as important as how a dress makes you feel. If you're going to feel uncomfortable or out of place it's not worth it, but if it makes you feel young and fun - then wear it and have a good time. I think it looks great.

The color is beautiful on you. That's definitely a color that only a few skin/hair combos can pull off and it works perfectly on you. Now me... with auburn hair and pale skin, I'd look half dead in that pink. :) Wear it. It's a great dress, you look fab in it and who cares what department it came out of? Not me. :) Wear it and have a blast in it.

Well I did have a darker dress that I bought at Christmastime but I may save that one for when I don't have a tan. It is kind of a maroon colored dress. We are planning a cruise on January 4th but it is the Carribbean and it may look wintery-I don't know.

If you don't like it, it looks like it's my size and I'm 61. If you feel good in it, who cares what other people think. I love the color with your tan! If you are bothered by where the cups meet as being to provocative, just buy a little lace and sew it in there....volah!, problem solved. As for the hips, you look fine. If you don't want it, I'll buy it from you! $20 was a good deal...:p

You look fabulous! A steal for $20.00, for sure! You mentioned the layers - would you consider cutting out one of them? Perhaps you might lose that "fullness" you are concerned about if the dress lays flatter against your body.

Will you be wearing a wrap of some sort? Are those the shoes you will wear (can't really see them too well)? Have you thought about an evening bag?

You guys or rather gals are sweet. No I am not touching the layers of the dress. I would probably screw something up. LOL The shoes I have on in the picture are of the silver nature. Evening bag? Gad, haven't even thought of that one. Hmmm

I think this is a great dress - wish I had found it. There will be a million women wearing black and this color is excellent. I always get more compliments, etc. when I wear bright colors and in the formal pictures, the more colorful dresses always stand out and look fantastic. I am leaning more towards cocktail length in my last few cruises (I'm at 12) and I think it is so much more practical and still just as formal. Georgeous color on you, fits well, and I think you will absolutely love it. GREAT FIND.

The wrap is a great idea - I freeze my tail off everywhere on the ship and always have a shawl just in case.

Well I pulled it up today by pulling the straps up. I couldn't get up too far because then it was tight under the arms with all that beading - it kind of hurt. Husband says he thinks it looks fine with the necklace. Umm I wore a bigger necklace in the original picture. Real observant - huh?

Gingee, I think you look really pretty in that dress. A couple of people suggested shortening the straps just a bit, to bring the bodice "up" and perhaps a different bra. But I love the color, and the chiffon, and the sparkles. And so what if you are not 34" around the hips? It's an adorable dress and you don't have to be a size 4 to look beautiful (which I think you do!)

Jane

Archived