Very Dissapointed w/ Celebrity Customer Service

Live4Miles

Lee Anne - I was borrowing your phrase, not picking on you. I find many of the posts rude and a tad bit "know it all-ish." People lecturing the OP on what he should or should not wear in Europe. It's entirely irrelevent. I've said before and I'll say again, I wouldn't have sat in my cabin and I don't think he should get compensated. But disagreeing with someone doesn't warrant lectures or rudeness. It just seems a bit intolerant.

Lee Anne - I was borrowing your phrase, not picking on you. I find many of the posts rude and a tad bit "know it all-ish." People lecturing the OP on what he should or should not wear in Europe. It's entirely irrelevent. I've said before and I'll say again, I wouldn't have sat in my cabin and I don't think he should get compensated. But disagreeing with someone doesn't warrant lectures or rudeness. It just seems a bit intolerant.

Okay, understood...and I can tell you that from my perspective, I FEEL a bit intolerant of the OP (which is rather unusual for me, as I'm generally an extremely tolerant person). I'm sure that feeling came out in my own posts, so mea culpa. And if I try to get to the bottom of this feeling, I realize that it stems from the OP feeling entitled to compensation for this incredible packing blunder that could have been easily remedied with a quick trip to a shop. That's what irked me, and I'm sure many others. We've all read so many posts (often first posts) from people who were dissatisfied with their cruise for some absurd trivial reason, and demanded financial compensation for their "spoiled" vacation.

Whereas most of us frequent cruisers are willing to roll with the punches, accept that travel (especially foreign) often involves unknowns, misunderstandings, complications, language barriers, miscommunications, delays, strikes, unexpected closures, and any number of things that can go wrong. Not to mention bad food, poor service, rude staff members, unpleasant tourists, bad entertainment, and all the things that can make any trip (cruise or not) turn out not quite as fabulous as we were expecting.

Some things that go wrong on a trip would entitle the traveler to compensation - and I will be the first person to stand up and fight for that. I am not one of the cruise line apologists or rabid fans who think the cruise line is NEVER at fault. Sometimes they are! But when something is either minor, not the provider's fault, or caused by the person himself, then IMO there is no entitlement. If the cruise lines made a practice of tossing out cash (in ANY form - OBC, credit, check, whatever) to every single dissatisfied customer, they would end up having to raise prices, or reduce service, not to mention finding themselves buried in excessive requests for compensation from ever cruiser who got a bad steak in the dining room.

Might I suggest a nice denim colored dress?:)

Fine - but would that be "smart casual", "country club casual", "resort casual", "all casual" "informal", or "semi-formal"? What the heck night should I WEAR it??? :eek: :D :D :D

you might be a redneck if........

You wear a denim formal gown:D YEE HA!!!. Reminds me of the Duct tape things kids try to wear to the prom.

Dave:eek:

Hey! Britney Spears once wore a denim formal gown to some big Hollywood event! Might have even been the Oscars...

Of course now we're going to end up with page after page of posters horrified at the prospect of anyone using Britney Spears as a fashion role model... LOL! :eek: :D

Okay, understood...and I can tell you that from my perspective, I FEEL a bit intolerant of the OP (which is rather unusual for me, as I'm generally an extremely tolerant person). I'm sure that feeling came out in my own posts, so mea culpa. And if I try to get to the bottom of this feeling, I realize that it stems from the OP feeling entitled to compensation for this incredible packing blunder that could have been easily remedied with a quick trip to a shop.

Oh, I understand your frustration! Today I had a customer want me to replace his product for free that he bought 2 years ago because no one told him metal rusts when it gets wet. I KNEW THAT WHEN I WAS FOUR. :mad:

I understand the "I want something for free" mentality all too well.

Peace and Love :)

I AM sorry that the OP for one reason or another short changed himself of the onboard experience.

BUT,

If OP's compliance sensibilities and Dress Code duty could be transmitted universally - then heck, I'd rally for the couple to get a free cruise or two!

On a ship the size of Constellation, when one considers the number of jeans that must have been cavorting in lounges and theaters while the Dress Code victims holed up in their cabin! If OP's fastidious compliance was universal then boy you'd have a formal night alright! (and retro swank informal er casual - whatever - nights too!)

So... Three Cheers to the OP for his diligence and dedication to the Dress Code! May your on board dressing sensitivities (if not your shopping habits) be shared by ALL! HIP HIP HOORAY (again) (again) :);):)

Maybe it is an English thing but a dress code is a dress code in England particularly in places like golf clubs where jeans /denim is totally taboo . I am so pleased that Celebrity maintain a dress code. If you don't like don't sail with them. I don't want to see people in jeans on formal night there are plenty of cruise liners that operate a casual dress code I suggest you try one of tehm next time. Part of my enjoyment on a cruise is dressing up when I want to slob out I choose a different holiday!. With regard to BA and terminal 5 I thought with all the international publicity it was well known to avoid both BA and terminal 5.

I'm really having some difficulty with the fact that the OP was on these boards a good month before his cruise, asking questions about ports, cabins, balconies, excursions, etc., and yet it never occurred to him to read any of the plethora of dress code threads???? Tisk, tisk, tisk...:rolleyes:

Maybe it is an English thing but a dress code is a dress code in England particularly in places like golf clubs where jeans /denim is totally taboo . I am so pleased that Celebrity maintain a dress code. If you don't like don't sail with them. I don't want to see people in jeans on formal night there are plenty of cruise liners that operate a casual dress code I suggest you try one of tehm next time. Part of my enjoyment on a cruise is dressing up when I want to slob out I choose a different holiday!. With regard to BA and terminal 5 I thought with all the international publicity it was well known to avoid both BA and terminal 5.

A nice first post (and I really do mean that as I 100% agree with you). Welcome to the boards! Now keep your head down as there may be some enemy fire coming.

I'm really having some difficulty with the fact that the OP was on these boards a good month before his cruise, asking questions about ports, cabins, balconies, excursions, etc., and yet it never occurred to him to read any of the plethora of dress code threads???? Tisk, tisk, tisk...:rolleyes:

I never thought it would be an issue...we had decided to not dress up for dinner, not knowing the true policy, and it went from there...It never occured to me to ask?

There are many things that a new to the line cruiser wouldn't know to ask...I learned, after it was too late to enjoy the benefit, that as a concierge class cruiser we could have gotten priority tender passes that would have put us to the front of the tendering process. That would have saved us time. I think in St Peter Port we had to wait an hour(?) (and we had a low number (5?). Some people had 20's.

I could have also ignored the tendering process rules and just went with the earlier groups, ignoring my ticket number, but I chose to wait my turn like almost everyone else. But I did find it funny that when handing my tender ticket in (I think we had tender #5 for example), on the table they were stacking the tickets on after collection there was an assortment of numbers much higher than mine. I think I saw a #20. So obviously some people didn't follow the rules. But I guess that is ok?

Live4Miles,

While you are here.

The question most people seem to really want answered: why not just purchase a passable outfit on-board or at port? It seems like such a simple answer to your main problem.

THANK YOU for asking this...PLEASE Live4Miles we are all dying to know.

And if you feel inclined to answer one more--- howzabout what was in those 7 bags, if all you brought were jeans???

I never thought it would be an issue...we had decided to not dress up for dinner, not knowing the true policy, and it went from there...It never occured to me to ask?

There are many things that a new to the line cruiser wouldn't know to ask...I learned, after it was too late to enjoy the benefit, that as a concierge class cruiser we could have gotten priority tender passes that would have put us to the front of the tendering process. That would have saved us time. I think in St Peter Port we had to wait an hour(?) (and we had a low number (5?). Some people had 20's.

I could have also ignored the tendering process rules and just went with the earlier groups, ignoring my ticket number, but I chose to wait my turn like almost everyone else. But I did find it funny that when handing my tender ticket in (I think we had tender #5 for example), on the table they were stacking the tickets on after collection there was an assortment of numbers much higher than mine. I think I saw a #20. So obviously some people didn't follow the rules. But I guess that is ok?

HEY!! a BIG HIGH FIVE TO Live4Miles for still being HERE!!:D :D

At this point, you just may be my hero! LOL

Stuff happens and cruisecritics are... well... a critical bunch, except when something truely horrific happens then watch the water works!!

Sorry that the 'wardrobe malfunction' created such tension on your cruise, and that outsiders don't 'get it' (hey - that stuff happens too).

X has is shortcomings, like all lines, but if you're looking for food and service that is a cut above, and - yes - a bit dressier traditional style than most lines, at a comparatively high value price point, well its hard to fault X on those terms. You might want to give them another chance, especially when you're in the mood for a bit of dress up. The dining rooms and service are generally very very nice. There's no dress code police prowling the public rooms (sometimes even the maitre d' is on the nod) but I know that the typical CC X cruiser really appreciates your sensitivity to and personal conformity with the code as published.

Just wondering, what's your past cruise line history? Personally, I too like to try new lines (never been on RCL, but done most of the others).

HEY!! a BIG HIGH FIVE TO Live4Miles for still being HERE!!:D :D

At this point, you just may be my hero! LOL

:) :) As I stated in a previous post I figured it would go pretty much like it has...flyertalk.com "complaint" posts go about like thise one has, some sympathy, some agreement, mostly disagreement, and some personal attacks. Some threads get too personal and get closed. Some people are pretty loyal to a specific company and will defend those companies. I just wanted to get others views.

Luggage 7 bags...It was 7 total, 3 of which were carryon, one was laptop computer bag, other two had camera equipment and normal important "not to check" items.

4 checked bags, 2 of them were "carryon size", other 2 were bigger than carroon size, but not the real big size ones. We wanted to be prepared (april in northern europe), so we brought winter clothes, including 2 bulky winter coats, sweatshirts, rain gear. We also brought workout clothes and shoes and a tripod for the cameras. We really didn't need the winter coats, the sweatshirts with raingear was warm enough, but didn't want to be without if needed.

We also had shirts and JEANS!!

As far as not buying pant on board or in port??? I'm not really sure what to say, the first night we were probably glad to just get to bed after long overnight flight without much sleep and two hour bus ride. Then it didn't really bother me until later in week. We had fun dining in and I guess it just hit me after a while that we weren't informed of the actual rules before we boarded. Then after that watching the video of the couple dressed in jeans and T-shirts (at least we didn't have t-shirts) on the ship's tv just hit a nerve.

I know nobody knows me on this board, but it really takes a lot to get me to the point of complaining. We go with the flow 99% the time. We spent last christmas week in Germany driving around without plans and had a great time.

If it wouldn't have been for the airport troubles I wouldn't have written the letter in the first place, but I just felt with both problems I perceived I had I just didn't feel right.

I again thank all for there comments and wish all great travels.

Just wondering, what's your past cruise line history? Personally, I too like to try new lines (never been on RCL, but done most of the others).

This was our 3rd cruise, first was Carnival with the kids 8 years ago (I rented a tux for that one!!), second was with Lindblad to the Galapogos last year, and then this one.

A quick moment doing a little research on their website would have given you all the information you needed. I cannot imagine heading off for a cruise and not checking first what the "rules" might be.....

A delightful break from the ordinary, dining aboard Celebrity is a true taste of luxury. Whether dining at an intimate table for two or an elaborate table for many, appropriate attire is part of the overall ambience.

dotted_line.gifspacer.gifEvening Dress Codes

Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire

Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit

Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm. Evening dress codes apply to both main restaurant dining as well as specialty restaurant dining*.

spacer.gifBefore Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés. spacer.gifRenting formalwear

Formal evenings call for formal attire. Arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom with Cruiseline Formalwear. With an elegant line of eveningwear for ladies and classic, stylish formalwear for men, you'll look as famous as you feel. To order, visit www.cruiselineformal.comspacer.gifFormal Nights

Celebrity Cruises' elegant, formal evenings include the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner, the Captain's Farewell Dinner, and a third or fourth "formal" night for those cruises sailing more than seven nights. Eveningwear should be planned for according to the length of your cruise. The following schedule outlines the number of formal nights you'll enjoy:

Information about air arrangements and Celebrity's liability is also clearly stipulated in the Terms and Conditions AND the Ticket Contract. They have no control over airline schedules...at all.

I understand the frustration when things happen on vacation...but a few minutes of research could have saved you a lot of anxiety.

This was our 3rd cruise, first was Carnival with the kids 8 years ago (I rented a tux for that one!!), second was with Lindblad to the Galapogos last year, and then this one.

Thanks for the explanation.

I bet the Lindblad Gallapagos cruise was the trip of a lifetime. I've yet to hear from anyone that has come back and done anything but rave about the place. If you ever want to go back and are willing to give Celebrity another try, the Xpedition is also supposed to be a very nice option (and more informal in dress).

I'm glad that you aren't taking some of the more critical posts too personally and hope that your displeasure with Celebrity will subside somewhat with time.

A quick moment doing a little research on their website would have given you all the information you needed. I cannot imagine heading off for a cruise and not checking first what the "rules" might be.....

A delightful break from the ordinary' date=' dining aboard Celebrity is a true taste of luxury. Whether dining at an intimate table for two or an elaborate table for many, appropriate attire is part of the overall ambience. [/color']

dotted_line.gifspacer.gif Evening Dress Codes

Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire

Informal Night Attire

Casual Night Attire

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm. Evening dress codes apply to both main restaurant dining as well as specialty restaurant dining*.

spacer.gif Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés. spacer.gif Renting formalwear

Formal evenings call for formal attire. Arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom with Cruiseline Formalwear. With an elegant line of eveningwear for ladies and classic, stylish formalwear for men, you'll look as famous as you feel. To order, visit www.cruiselineformal.comspacer.gif Formal Nights

Celebrity Cruises' elegant, formal evenings include the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner, the Captain's Farewell Dinner, and a third or fourth "formal" night for those cruises sailing more than seven nights. Eveningwear should be planned for according to the length of your cruise. The following schedule outlines the number of formal nights you'll enjoy:

Information about air arrangements and Celebrity's liability is also clearly stipulated in the Terms and Conditions AND the Ticket Contract. They have no control over airline schedules...at all.

I understand the frustration when things happen on vacation...but a few minutes of research could have saved you a lot of anxiety.

That is exactly what I did do before we left. I read that EXACT form you printed. It says, "Evening dress codes apply to both main restaurant dining as well as specialty restaurant dining"

I UNDERSTOOD that before we left...It says "BOTH"...meaning both the main dining room and the pay extra restaurant...It does NOT say, "public areas of the ship", which I only found out after receiving the first days' ship newsletter. My mistake was to assume that the "evening dress code" meant for the whole ship and not just the dining areas.

Guest Anorak33

This is terrible - the OP was locked in his cabin? Who locked them in?

And when they were in Dublin the stores were all closed so they couldn't buy a pair of pants which were not jeans?

They should get a refund from Celebrity and a double refund from the Irish government!

Not!

I have read some crazy complaints in my time but this beats the lot................

I am sure they are nice people just a little challenged in some way, bless them.

I am booked on a TA with Celebrity. In reading many of the posts on cruise critic, I am led to believe that Celebrity is changing its dress code, and was doing away with formal nights. Personally, I like the idea. I'm not into jeans, but "smart casual" should suffice for a cruise. Seems like everything is too stuffy. One writer said that if you change after the formal into something more comfortable, you would be shunned by the other cruisers. "SHUNNED" by other cruisers??? A little extreme, don't u think? I booked my cruise thru Celebrity, and no reference was made to dress code. I'll bring my tux, if I really must, but I'll be on a 15 night cruise and intend to stay in Italy for a couple of weeks, and then go to Ireland for a couple of weeks. With all of the new restrictions and charges on baggage, I think Celebrity should change the dress codes. If some people want to go formal, great!!!!! I'm sure we'll all see them in their formal regalia. Maybe the cruise should say Smart Casual after 6:00PM. Smart casual meaning, collared shirts tucked in, slacks, shoes and socks. No polos, no denim, no kakki, not T shirts, no sandals, no deck shoes, and no sneakers. I'd be satisfied with this. I'm like you, I guess, I just like to relax and enjoy.

Hope they make the change.

Ciao,

Alberto

I don't understand who makes the rules! X doesn't have an iron clad rule, as far as I can see. Dining at an intimate table for two or an elaborate table for many in appropriate attire is correct, but who determines what is appropriate attire? Snobs are inappropriate as dinner companions, in tuxedos, gowns or just a smart casual outfit. I think some of you should chill out.

Ciao,

Alberto

A delightful break from the ordinary' date=' dining aboard Celebrity is a true taste of luxury. Whether dining at an intimate table for two or an elaborate table for many, appropriate attire is part of the overall ambience. [/color']

dotted_line.gifspacer.gif Evening Dress Codes

Formal Night Attire

Informal Night Attire

Casual Night Attire

spacer.gif Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés. spacer.gif Renting formalwear

Formal evenings call for formal attire. Arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom with Cruiseline Formalwear. With an elegant line of eveningwear for ladies and classic, stylish formalwear for men, you'll look as famous as you feel. To order, visit www.cruiselineformal.comspacer.gif Formal Nights

Archived