Disposable or Digital

scwhiner

I have sifted through several hundred posts and I apologize to all if this is a duplicate. We were trying to find information from anyone that has used the softside waterproof cases for the digital cameras that are submersible (i.e. snorkeling) We aren't avid photographers but I can't seem to find any reviews on these either. Just don't know if we should just invest in the disposables instead of taking the chance with our digital.

I appreciate anyone's thoughts / recommendations.

I have used the disposable, underwater cameras in Hawaii, Mexico, and the Caribbean. They take wonderful pictures!:D I don't take expensive cameras on vacation because I don't want to worry about them when I go on excursions to the beach. I have always used disposable, flash cameras with great success. I am not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I've been happy with my pictures. I also always buy postcards of every port I go to, just in case my pictures don't come out as nicely as I'd like. :o

• 1 month later...

I love to take pictures while snorkeling and have used disposables, a digital with a separate case and now a digital that is waterproof to 30 feet. The disposables are fine, but you might want to get a CD of your prints when you get it developed. If you can get an underwater housing that is specific for your camera, they work well as long as you follow the directions for preparation and storage (so they don't leak and you preserve the rubber seal). I now have a Pentax that can be taken underwater (without a housing) and so far it has worked well. It's also nice that you can have it on the beach, by the pool, in the rain and be pretty sure it'll be OK. The best thing about digitals of course, is that you can see your pictures and delete what you don't want without printing it and have an unlimited (almost) amount of pictures of your experience.

Thanks gomomgo. I've been looking and comparing and did try to get a waterproof case for our digital. Unfortunately, they don't make one as custom and the generic aquapack I bought, I had to return because the camera has a telescopic lens and kept shutting off immediately after turning on. We really didn't want to buy a new one (just got this one for Christmas as a gift) and since this is our first cruise and first time snorkeling, didn't want to invest heavily in a waterproof digital...but, don't want to chance not having the memories. It's been so long since we've gotten film developed, I hadn't even thought about getting them on a CD. Thanks for the suggestion.

You may look at the waterproof digitals that Olympus offers. I have a Sony digital camera right now and was looking at buying one of the waterproof enclosures. The enclosure itself was about $150. I've found now that the Olympus SW series (the 770SW in particular) are waterproof without an enclosure and cost right under $200. I'll be investing in the Olympus because it just makes more sense. The underwater enclosure for the Sony would only be used MAYBE once a year. The Olympus camera can be used underwater for those times AND on land for any other pictures for $40 more. Just my two cents.

FYI- believe it or not, AVON actually has a waterproof digital camera for about $30. I think we are going to get one, as our rather expensive Sony camera does not need to be replaced with a more expensive camera. And for $30, it sounds worth it! Even if the pictures aren't great, neither have the ones from disposable cameras been wonderful either. And as previously mentioned, with a digtal, I can at least see what I'm getting before paying to develop pictures!

That's good to know, my SIL is a rep, I'll have to check with her on the Avon one to see what it's showing as far as memory and power source (i.e. AAA batteries, etc...) I've found that most of the $30 or so range for digital use regular AAA and run out quickly and the 16 MB memory might not be enough and the camera's don't have the expansion slot to upgrade to a higher SD card.

amcjeep4life - if we can't get the digital we want, we'll be going with the disposable, I just hesitate because I won't be able to make sure we get some good shots / memories. Don't know when we'll have the opportunity like this again. I've used them in the past for canoeing and such, with great results, but never underwater.

I have sifted through several hundred posts and I apologize to all if this is a duplicate. We were trying to find information from anyone that has used the softside waterproof cases for the digital cameras that are submersible (i.e. snorkeling) We aren't avid photographers but I can't seem to find any reviews on these either. Just don't know if we should just invest in the disposables instead of taking the chance with our digital.

I have seen the ads for the softside waterproof cases. The BEST questions I can give you is to consider are these (along my my own personal answers):

(1) How expensive is your camera/lens?

MHO: Too expensive to risk ruining by taking underwater. I'm careful enough to deal with any other situation (I draw the line at sand though).

(2) What kind of quality do you expect from your camera?

MHO: The better the quality the better I like it. There is a happy median here though. I have done it both with an expensive SLR and with the disposable camera. As the years go by, and more people follow us while we're gone, I've become more picky about the quality of our pictures, but that's just me.

(3) Are you planning on e-mailing pictures, etc. from the ship before you get home? Do you digitally correct or crop pictures on your PC prior to giving them out to friends/family?

MHO: Yes and yes. We have a travel blog that we maintain on our trips and while my banter is enjoyed, people always want more pictures.

So for me, taking my Nikon SLR with us on cruises is the best way to go. I'm careful where I take it and under what conditions I bring it out. I have taken some AWESOME pictures with the SLR that I feel would have been impossible to take with a disposable camera (whales, sunsets, people, action shots). We have a less expensive 3MP digital that I use in situations where I would not feel comfortable with my SLR (misty weather, possibly unstable locals, etc.).

I hope this helps.

Are you referring to the Aquapak? I don't snorkle or dive, so I haven't had need for these, but I know people who have and they liked them. Much more affordable than the housings made for specific cameras. Someone already suggested for you to chech the photography board, and that's a great resource. There are people who are professionals as well as advanced amateurs that are willing to share their experiences and advice to any who ask.

I have seen the ads for the softside waterproof cases. The BEST questions I can give you is to consider are these (along my my own personal answers):

(1) How expensive is your camera/lens?

MHO: Too expensive to risk ruining by taking underwater. I'm careful enough to deal with any other situation (I draw the line at sand though).

(2) What kind of quality do you expect from your camera?

MHO: The better the quality the better I like it. There is a happy median here though. I have done it both with an expensive SLR and with the disposable camera. As the years go by, and more people follow us while we're gone, I've become more picky about the quality of our pictures, but that's just me.

(3) Are you planning on e-mailing pictures, etc. from the ship before you get home? Do you digitally correct or crop pictures on your PC prior to giving them out to friends/family?

MHO: Yes and yes. We have a travel blog that we maintain on our trips and while my banter is enjoyed, people always want more pictures.

So for me, taking my Nikon SLR with us on cruises is the best way to go. I'm careful where I take it and under what conditions I bring it out. I have taken some AWESOME pictures with the SLR that I feel would have been impossible to take with a disposable camera (whales, sunsets, people, action shots). We have a less expensive 3MP digital that I use in situations where I would not feel comfortable with my SLR (misty weather, possibly unstable locals, etc.).

I hope this helps.

This is precisely the predicament that Im in now. Im and advanced ameture photographer, who has a pretty extensive collection of glass and a SLR. While part of me wants to bring my SLR and perhaps 2 lenses to get outstanding shots, the other part of me is terrified that Ill get sand in the camera or lens on an excursion. My mother has offered that I may take her A520 point and shoot, so I dont know what to do. Are there safes in the rooms of the Carnival Miracle? Maybe Ill take both.....the SLR for the ship and the point/shoot for excursions....

I just bought the Olympus 1030SW at Circuit City a couple weeks ago, for about $300. It takes awesome Pics, and takes both a Micro SD card and an XD. We also have a Canon Rebel, and there is now way I could see buying a casing for that, and bringing that underwater!

Archived