Vigo-Santiago de Compostela-just back- NCL Jade June 13 cruise

Hubby had been to Santiago de Compostela 30 years ago and loved it. We could not figure out how to do it on our own so we bit the bullet and bought the ship shore excursion to Santiago de Compostela and Pazo de Oco for $189 pp. Left right when ship docked at 9:30am and returned close to embarkation time at 5:30pm. Our guide said there was a fishermen's strike so the docks (and car traffic) were unusually quiet. In driving through town it looked like it might be okay to wander around on own. Spent about 50 minutes at the gardens of Pazo de Oco and then drove to Santiago de Compostela. The guide took us quickly around the cathedral and then we headed to lunch at Don Quixote restaurant for the whole tour group - 2 bus loads, about 100 people.Bread, salad, wine, tapas, meat and potatoes, almond cake, a special hot brandy drink at the end and then a great performance by Tuna, the local men's performing group. We bought their cd.

About 1 hour drive back to ship arriving about 5:15pm.

We had no free time to just wander around the lovely old streets in Santiago. We would have been much happier with a bus transfer to Santiago and free time on our own for a cheaper price.

ANNFI

I am going on Jade on23/08/08 and on Vigo, i have booked the wines and views to go on - is this a good idea do you think ? Or should I just walk and enjoy Vigo itself ?

Regards and thanks for your posts it really helps us all

Jock3

ANNFI

I am going on Jade on23/08/08 and on Vigo, i have booked the wines and views to go on - is this a good idea do you think ? Or should I just walk and enjoy Vigo itself ?

Regards and thanks for your posts it really helps us all

Jock3

Maybe you could post something on our June 13 rollcall - we met "Margo Escargo" who posts on there and I think they were just going to hang out in Vigo but we didn't get to ask them how it was and I didn't hear anything about the wine tours. It's a tough one. We really debated that one and knowing what we know now I have no idea what we would do! I'll post something to Margo Escargo right now on the roll call. Sorry I can't be more help.

• 1 month later...

Hi Annfi & Jock3 -

I'm booked on the same cruise for Aug 23/08 and have booked the Santiago de Compostela excursion. Is it easy to get there with bus transfers?

Annfi, I'm curious to know what you thought of the other ports and shore excursions.

Much appreciated!

Hi Annfi & Jock3 -

I'm booked on the same cruise for Aug 23/08 and have booked the Santiago de Compostela excursion. Is it easy to get there with bus transfers?

Annfi, I'm curious to know what you thought of the other ports and shore excursions.

Much appreciated!

If you click on my name you can view my other posts regarding ports.

Have a great time! We LOVED the cruise.

Hubby had been to Santiago de Compostela 30 years ago and loved it. We could not figure out how to do it on our own so we bit the bullet and bought the ship shore excursion to Santiago de Compostela and Pazo de Oco for $189 pp. Left right when ship docked at 9:30am and returned close to embarkation time at 5:30pm. Our guide said there was a fishermen's strike so the docks (and car traffic) were unusually quiet. In driving through town it looked like it might be okay to wander around on own. Spent about 50 minutes at the gardens of Pazo de Oco and then drove to Santiago de Compostela. The guide took us quickly around the cathedral and then we headed to lunch at Don Quixote restaurant for the whole tour group - 2 bus loads, about 100 people.Bread, salad, wine, tapas, meat and potatoes, almond cake, a special hot brandy drink at the end and then a great performance by Tuna, the local men's performing group. We bought their cd.

About 1 hour drive back to ship arriving about 5:15pm.

We had no free time to just wander around the lovely old streets in Santiago. We would have been much happier with a bus transfer to Santiago and free time on our own for a cheaper price.

I am sorry your tour wasted time with the gardens and long lunch. The town of Santiago is a medieval jewel that deserves more time that alloted by your tour. I have been to Santiago twice (never through a cruise), staying there 4 days each time. I never get tired of it.

The following thread , specially the last 2 posts, give other ideas of how to get there from Vigo. It is really worthwhile to do it on your own rather that with a big group.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=356975&highlight=santiago

Hi Annfi -

Thanks for the tip, as you can probably tell I'm quite new to this since this is my first cruise! I found your other posts and they were helpful too.

Thanks again,

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the world of cruising! Beware,

you may find BOTH very addictive!

Have fun!

Hi Annfi & Jock3 -

Much appreciated!

Hi Pebeccer,

I noticed you will be on our sailing. We have a great roll call group for our sailing and invite you to come by and say hi. We are having a meet and greet - hope you can stop by! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=639774

Hi Cardex -

Nice to meet you! I'll definitely pop in. There's over 50 of you there! Looks like most of you are trying to organize some tours of your own. I'm still trying to figure out whether what to do for Malaga, Naples and Villefranche. Any suggestions?

Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Hi Cardex -

Nice to meet you! I'll definitely pop in. There's over 50 of you there! Looks like most of you are trying to organize some tours of your own. I'm still trying to figure out whether what to do for Malaga, Naples and Villefranche. Any suggestions?

Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Nice to meet you too!! In Malaga we are doing a ship tour - the one to Marabella and then we plan on just walking around on our own after lunch. In Naples we are booked on a private tour to the Amalfi Coast with others from the roll call group. In Villefranche we plan on leaving the ship as soon as we can because we are not in port very long. We are taking the train (or bus) to Monte Carlo and then coming back to walk around Eze. Hope this helps. There may still be room on a few of the private tours with the roll call group. Just ask over there and someone will let you know. :)

Archived