Alaska v. Caribbean

Got2Cruise

I am set to sail on my first cruise to Alaska, after several wonderful cruises to the Caribbean, Bermuda and the Bahamas. Here is a really dumb question. "What do you do on the sea days on an Alaska cruise"? I have my routine set for the Caribbean cruise, good book, good drink, and lounge in the sun. Repeat as needed. I am sailing on the Pearl. What sort of activities do they offer for the first sea day?

Different type of cruise for sure but instead of lounging in the sun, you are kicked back, relaxing and taking in the scenery. They still have plenty of activities but this is a port intensive cruise and one sea day is Glacier Bay.

A day at sea in Alaska is a day of nature watching!! When DH and I cruised there we would just sit and watch. We saw almost every type of wildlife that you could see and LOVED IT!! The day we cruised into Misty Fijords it happened to be really sunny and I ended up with one of the worst sun burns of my life so even though your in Alaska, don't forget your sunscreen!!

You can whale watch, dolphin watch, seal watch, view the majestic mountains, etc., etc., etc. I have made 4 trips to caribbean and enjoyed the Alaska trip much more. What a beautiful place to be.

;)

Monday, which is your first sea day after leaving Seattle, is also the day that normally has the least amount of scenic viewing, as you're sailing up the west side of Vancouver Island. We were lucky enough to have a fair amount of whale activity, but I think it was due to the fact that we sailed early in the year and some of the stragglers were still migrating.

If you've joined in your roll-call and there's a meet and greet planned, it's usually scheduled for Monday morning, and ends up taking up most of the time between breakfast and lunch. In the afternoon, I grabbed a blanket, my book, and spent the afternoon up on one of the "beds" by the pool deck. About the only thing that was any different from my Caribbean cruises is that I did want the blanket!

Highly recommend you check out the spa - daily or weekly package. It is beautiful - front of ship with gorgeous view. Don't think glass drink glass would be allowed for safety reasons but maybe you could bring an acceptable container with you. Spinnaker Lounge has front view, bar and some lounge beds if you get there early enough :)

Don't pass up opportunity to bowl in Bliss Lounge and don't be embarrassed to ask them to put up the bumpers. My dh has had three 300 games and even with bumpers his score was about half that. There are only four lanes so obviously you need to sign up but they'll give you a time estimate for your turn. It was so much fun we wanted to bowl two games but one was the limit - will definitely do it again next time.

There is plenty to do on the Pearl, just read your freestyle daily for details.

For some reason the first sea day is ONLY daily i don't have from our Alaska cruise or i'd give you some of the highlights from it.

Alaska is different than Caribbean but every bit as beautiful in its own way.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Karen

My favorite place on the Pearl (we were in an inside cabin) was on the Promenade deck. They had nice loungers out there, with blankets available, and they're far enough back on the deck that we never noticed a wind problem. I'm pretty sure there were also some sort of heaters blowing on that deck, as there were spots that were definitely warmer than others.

There are also the loungers and "beds" up around the pool deck. If you were sitting out in the open, it might be a bit windy, but you can sit back underneath the next deck and stay out of the wind there, too. Of course, none of that applies if it's particularly stormy.

Also, check out the library (also on the pool deck). They had chairs available there that were hardly ever used.

We did Alaska via Celebrity. I found that more informative and/or naturalist seminars were offered. Included some of the 'stores you must see', of course, but also a lot of historical and other information valuable while in port.

Nancy

• Administrators
Thanks for the replies. . .I am hoping for not too windy weather so I can enjoy my books outside. Either way, I know we will have a wonderful time on the Pearl.

Have a wonderful cruise -- Alaska is breathtaking! Don't forget your binoculars; you never know when wildlife viewing chances will come up. :)

I am set to sail on my first cruise to Alaska, after several wonderful cruises to the Caribbean, Bermuda and the Bahamas. Here is a really dumb question. "What do you do on the sea days on an Alaska cruise"? I have my routine set for the Caribbean cruise, good book, good drink, and lounge in the sun. Repeat as needed. I am sailing on the Pearl. What sort of activities do they offer for the first sea day?

That about covers it except of course for the scenery which you don't get any of on a Caribbean cruise.drinking-48.gif

Archived