Airfare To Honolulu

Donna6369

I am going on POA then end of May 2009 - June 2009 and my flights will finally be for sale the end of this week. It looks like it will be $913.00 per person plus taxes from Newark, NJ to Honolulu, HI on a non-stop flight.

Do you I wait it out to see if the flights get lower or just bite the bullet and book now? :confused:

I was in the same position you are, a few months ago. I was booking a flight from our regional to HNL. I booked as soon as the flights went on sale. Our tickets including taxes and fees were 953 PP. Now the same tickets are 1250 PP. Our flight isn't until Feb 09.

So I vote for getting the tix ASAP.

We are going to Hawaii in February of 2009. I bought my tickets in March of this year. I got a really good sale and havent' seen anything come close to it as of yet. Actually the tickets just seem to being going up and up in price. I think I would go ahead and book I think the prices are either going to stay where they are just keep going up. It's a gamble but I would go ahead.

Have a great trip --- I'm counting the days!

Its water under the bridge at this point but United and Continental were charging $279 PP with taxes from Newark with many dates available. This price held through the Memorial Day weekend. Surprisingly it wasnt a pricing error and many people scored.

My gut says since you are not traveling till may/june wait it out for 2-3 more months. Something like the deal I mentioned above may just happen again.

inotdown, those prices are unbelieveable. A great score for some lucky flyers.

as a flight attendant, I see fewer seats, more laid off airline workers, :mad: and higher prices.....buy now.

inotdown's fares did indeed exist. Conenintal had a fare sale for about $298 - $398 from a lot of east coast cities. In the 25 years that I have going to and from Hawaii, I have NEVER seen the fares that low. A good fare from the east coast is anything under $600.

With the airlines consolidating and the oil price high, I don't know if the $600 fare will be available again anytime soon. Good luck.

inotdown, those prices are unbelieveable. A great score for some lucky flyers.

as a flight attendant, I see fewer seats, more laid off airline workers, :mad: and higher prices.....buy now.

Sadly I was one of them. Thankfully I have another full time job but nothing will ever beat working in the airline industry.

I purchased tickets on Memorial day at 539.00 departin from LAX to Honolulu on NWA airlines, but feel it may cancell flights or may go under like ATA or U.S Air. It's ironic that prior to Memorial day was over 800.00 pp, and now it's over 800.00 pp. I'm waiting for the 24 hr prior to flight registration to verify flight status. I hear horror stories that if flight is half full they may cancel flight due to gas prices. So we'll see. I hope Northwest pulls through.

I spoke to Princess on Sunday in regard to a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii on the Pacific Princess on Sept.18 . This is a10 day cruise and the gate city for us would be LAX. My question was on Air fare abd she said a round trip from LAX to Vancouver and then the return to LAX would be $509 PP. I think this is an excellent price. Give Princess a call . :)

I am also going to be on the Pride of America in May of 2009. I am going on my Honeymoon and will be on the May 30th sailing. I will be booking my airfare via orbitz this weekend when it first becomes available. Orbits has a new price assurance guarantee, so if you book at say $700 and then someone books the same flight at say $650 they issue you a check for the difference. Check it out on their website.

I am going later this month on the POAm, using FF miles, but I have been watching the fares...I really think they will come down a bit when this initial panic over oil prices evens out....BUT I would recommend looking into purchasing your flights from Orbitz, they have a new "price assurance" program where they automatically check the price you paid against the price any other of THEIR other customers pay for the exact same flight. They will automatically refund the difference. I have not used, but I would recommend looking into it because there is no one else out there that will offer that sort of thing. I haven't read the fine print but I don't see how you could lose.

I purchased my tickets this past March for Oct '08 & got a nonstop from Newark on Continental for $600. We waited a long time before booking. It was as high as $900, but we kept watching and as it got closer it got cheaper- probably because it's a nonstop, so they need the plane full.

By they way...if you go through Continental, the cheapest place to get the tickets is continental itself, not orbitz or any of those. They were always $100 - $200 more than continental's website.

Happy shopping!

I purchased my tickets in december 2007 for Oct 2008. I paid 700 including taxes/fees nonstop flight per perspn. I checked the other day its over 900. I would wait maybe a few months, but dont wait too long. the prices are going up and will get worse with the furl situation.

I purchased our tickets for May '09 on June 21, LAX to HNL on American, for $521.30 each. It now stands at $694.96, an additional $173.66 each. I don't think I would pay that price. I would probably wait awhile and cancel the cruise if the airfare didn't come down. We just can't afford these prices.

Hello...

I just booked a couple of trips to Hawaii for the coming year. I've never paid too much attention to price before my usual $600 fare showed up as $1100. This is from California.

Perhaps everyone knows this already, but with a little fooling around with dates, coming and going, I was able to save a considerable amount on both trips. It seemed that Tues, Wed and Thurs flights were the cheapest and Sunday to Sunday not too bad either.

Actually, I lengthened instead of shortened my trips to take advantage of the lower fares, so I'm just spending the money on rooms instead...but I'll "rough it" and stay a little longer.

This was American's website; I don't know if the savings would hold true for all other airlines.

I hope this helps someone.

murphysmum;)

For me the airfare was higher through NCL and not a direct flight. I did book my direct flight with Continental. If the flights go down in price I will be upset, but I booked because I know it is the only direct flight and with all the airlines dropping flights I figured I wanted to be sure I had my reservation. Can't wait for Next May..... Wish I were going now. Aloha

Probably won't help anyone here but just in case -- American is offering special to Honolulu. Book by 7/15/08, travel by 8/31/08. For Tulsa departure and return, it started at $1100 and included 5 night accomodations. Price variance depends on hotel you choose. I think Turtle Bay was the highend package at $3700 for 2.

And yes, I'm tempted :cool:

Anybody worried about booking so far in advance??

Because we almost lost a large sum on ATA tickets, 5 minutes after I purchased our flights on United, I purchased travel insurance that covers default of carrier. When doing this, make sure your carrier is on the list. I almost bought a different policy, and luckily I checked since United was NOT on their list. The amount of the insurance premium was just a little piece of mind considering we paid about $2600 for our 3 tickets (which are now about $1000 each, by the way) :rolleyes:

Perhaps everyone knows this already, but with a little fooling around with dates, coming and going, I was able to save a considerable amount on both trips. It seemed that Tues, Wed and Thurs flights were the cheapest and Sunday to Sunday not too bad either.

We did exactly this... lengthened our trip by a day... saved a few hundred dollars by flying on Wednesday instead of Thursday and the extra night in our timeshare cost less than $10... yes, $10!! :D Then booked a late late late flight out on Christmas day and basically got another day on the island for free. :D 7 day trip turned into 9 :p

If the flights go down in price I will be upset,

Little known secret... sometimes if rates drop, you can call the airline and they will either refund the difference or offer a credit for future flight in the same amount. Doesn't always work, but often does and it is worth the phone call. :)

Archived