Airfare To Honolulu

Donna6369

I read your thread to see if my air fare sounded fair. My cruise is so far out that I can't compare prices (Sept 09) but I think my air (though my PVP at Carnival) seems to be the way to go for me. For me and my sweetie, from Atlanta Ga to Honolulu then San Diego to Atlanta is $1,651.96 including taxes. That's 825.98 per person for both flights. My PVP said I could always cancel the air part if I find a better deal prior to the final payment. Does that sound reasonable? This is the first cruise for me that involves a flight so I need some advice.

Thanks! Janice

There is a fare sale this past weekend (maybe still on) from American Airlines for under $600 to Honolulu for travel though October.

From which airports? I was browsing around air (including AA) this weekend for October and November (off-peak days). It's still $800+ from LAX or SFO. (It really, really annoys us west coasters that so many of the fare sales are for east coast and midwest areas. We pay more to go to Hawaii and we usually pay more to go to the east coast or Florida. Kinda' stinks. Not that I'm blaming or resenting those who grab deals. Just that I think we deserve more of them too. Most of us aren't the Bill Gates or Hollywood celebrity types, so the high cost of flying to Hawaii is a pretty significant issue.)

beachchick

(It really, really annoys us west coasters that so many of the fare sales are for east coast and midwest areas. We pay more to go to Hawaii and we usually pay more to go to the east coast or Florida. Kinda' stinks. Not that I'm blaming or resenting those who grab deals.

Beachchick - I hear ya!!! I am not blaming the flyers either... just the airlines. It truly is frustrating. :( :rolleyes:

I think it's a big mistake to book too far out. The airlines are going to do many things to offset rising fuel costs before they increase fares too drastically, otherwise they're going to have a hard time filling seats.

I bought into the hysteria a little bit when booking our annual trip to Hawaii several months ago. Our "usual" dates/flights on Hawaiian were faring at $1,400+ (R/T for two), which was $600 more than we paid last year. On Alaska they were $1,300+. Found flights on NWA for $977 and figured I'd better grab those. Now, of course, my original Hawaiian Air flights have dropped to just over $800. Alaska has also dropped their fares. Usually my rule is to book three months out...if I'd followed that this time, it would have saved me almost $200!

It's not always a mistake.... Our December flights cost us $865 in June and are now priced at $1020 each.

What some don't know is that if your price goes down, you can often call the airline for a future flight credit in the amount of the difference. Not always - but it is a free phone call and it can have positive results.

Archived