Back or Front Better

gargoyle999

I don't fly often but in the past when I fly I try and get my seat closer to the front to get off the plane a little faster when we arrive. But I'm guessing everyone is trying to bring on a lot of carry-on items now with all the extra fees.

For those of you who fly more often would you suggest trying to get a seat further back to have a better chance at overhead space? Or are the airlines doing an ok job of enforcing carry on limits and the space above my seat should be ok for my stuff?

Planes are very crowded these days and overhead space is at a premium. Not only do people bring more "stuff", but they also arrange their stuff in the overhead bins inefficiently. (Pax can be oblivious to the needs of those who board after them.) Best strategy if this is a concern is to board as early as possible. How to accomplish this is totally dependent on the boarding policy of the airline, they're all different. On Southwest, check in on-line at the 24 hour mark to be with the A group. DL has as many as 10 boarding "zones." NW boards first class, elites, then everyone else in a mob. (Be at the front of the mob.)

Worst case is to be seated in, say, row 22, and have to put your bag in the overhead at row 32. Then you either exit last or do the "fish upstream" wiggle.

Even if everyone is within the official limits, it can be necessary to gate check some bags of the last to board.

For me, overhead space isn't a concern. I bring a small bag that I can stash under the seat. I'm one of those who only bring one suitcase, one bag. Of course this is for domestic flights. As far as where to sit, you're going to find the airlines are starting to limit your choices, or charge another fee to sit where you want!

Remember the words of Henry Kissinger: There are only two reasons to sit in the back row of an airplane; either you have diarrhea, or you're anxious to meet people who do”

Great line, did Richard Nixon's favorite Prussian really say that?

Paul

It depends on how the airline boards the plane. Not all airlines board back to front anymore.

True - the first boarding group for UA, after First and Business class, includes elite members and those with window seats. Next boarding group is middle seats, and the last group to board are those with aisle seats.

I always choose the front - never the back!

So if I sit in the front and there is no more overhead space and I'm within my limit for carry on what happens? If they need to check my bag do I get charged for it?

In my experience with AA, they will gate check the bag for you and you'll pick the bag up at baggage claim. With the new luggage limits they will charge you IF you've already met the checked bag requirements (depends on when you booked your flight).

I have never not been able to find a spot for my bag, even when I was one of the last people to board the plane.

I like to sit as far forward as I can, while still sitting in cattle class. I solve the space problem by simply never carrying on anything that won't go under the seat in front of me. Suppose they'll start charging extra for that premium under-the-seat space? :D

It depends on how the airline boards the plane. Not all airlines board back to front anymore.

Simple flow dictates it is most efficient to load back to front.

Every airline I know allows first class ( the very front ) and premium milage fliers on first. They of course get dibs on all the storage first. Then you get the annoucement for those that need a little extra time.

SW is one exception, but they've trained most of their customer well.

Remember since probably only less then 20% of the folks are on by the time you go general boarding it makes sense if storage is what you are after get the very back. If it is priority getting off, you'll want the front.

As to the comment about where to sit if you crash, the best place is to miss the airplane :D And if you had to be on it, I'd think over the wings is the better place.

Well I am going to go for the front and hope for the best. Most of the planes I will be on in Nov and Feb are 2 seat by 2 seat configurations so maybe since they are not huge planes it will be easier to get space?

Do they sell a "How to Pack for a Cruise Using Only One Suitecase for Dummies" book? :D

Well I am going to go for the front and hope for the best. Most of the planes I will be on in Nov and Feb are 2 seat by 2 seat configurations so maybe since they are not huge planes it will be easier to get space?

Do they sell a "How to Pack for a Cruise Using Only One Suitecase for Dummies" book? :D

The opposite. Narrow body planes have much smaller overhead bin size than wider body counter part. For example, the standard rollerboards cannot be wheel first to go in the narrow-body's overhead bin. When it goes in side-way, it creates waste of the storage space.

If they are 2 by 2 configurations, they are probably regional jets that do not have much overhead space at all. If it is a regional jet, then on most anything but small carryons have to be gate-checked anyways.

As to the comment about where to sit if you crash, the best place is to miss the airplane :D And if you had to be on it, I'd think over the wings is the better place.

The very tail is supposedly the place where more people survive horrible crashes. The tail section usually breaks away intact for some reason. Stats prove that there is a 40% or more "survivability" factor sitting in the rear.

Over the wings-with the fuel lines/tanks. Not on MY life.

• 3 weeks later...
The very tail is supposedly the place where more people survive horrible crashes. The tail section usually breaks away intact for some reason. Stats prove that there is a 40% or more "survivability" factor sitting in the rear.

That's because planes never back into mountains! :)

Many aircraft have fuel lines passing through the aft cabin, for example MD-80, A330/340, and 747-400.

Hmmm, I wonder what the people who died in the tail of the L1011 that crashed on approach to DFW would say about that. The emergency exit doors were jammed and they could not get them open to escape.

Any seat on a commercial airliner is a whole lot safer than any seat in a car.

Hmmm, I wonder what the people who died in the tail of the L1011 that crashed on approach to DFW would say about that. The emergency exit doors were jammed and they could not get them open to escape.

Any seat on a commercial airliner is a whole lot safer than any seat in a car.

I certainly didn't say that ALL people sitting in the tail section survive crashes. But by statistic and theory, the tail section is the section that is the SAFEST.

But why are we talking about crashing????? Your chances of dying in an airplane crash are something like 8,000,000 to 1. Pretty decent odds, IMHO.

But why are we talking about crashing????? Your chances of dying in an airplane crash are something like 8,000,000 to 1. Pretty decent odds, IMHO.
Which is why I'm personally surprised that you brought it up at all as a consideration as to where to sit.

I don't fly often but in the past when I fly I try and get my seat closer to the front to get off the plane a little faster when we arrive. But I'm guessing everyone is trying to bring on a lot of carry-on items now with all the extra fees.

For those of you who fly more often would you suggest trying to get a seat further back to have a better chance at overhead space? Or are the airlines doing an ok job of enforcing carry on limits and the space above my seat should be ok for my stuff?

Seatguru.com will give you information about any seat on the plane. You just need to know the aircraft type (on AA, the online seat assignment screen tells you). Seatguru will tell you about things like seats that do not recline (often the emergency row, the rear row, etc), as well as unusual info about overhead or under seat storage for a specific seat. Very helpful website

Archived