Time-wise Harwich to London

RLE

I've posed this question on my board but how about the rest of you???

I want your opinions as I'm thinking this through.

Our cruise ends in Harwich, England on a Saturday 4:00 a.m. It looks like our best bet with a return flight to the U.S. departs Garwick around 2:00 p.m. the same day. The boat train leaves Harwich around 9 a.m.....into London at 10:30ish.....about another hour to Gatwick Airport. I'm hoping that is enough time. Help!

Using the following web-site

http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Home.aspx?cacheparam=18

for this Saturday it would seem that you should arrive at London Gatwick railway station at 11:40. Allow 15 minutes or so to get up from the station to the relevant terminal than you should get to check in by noon.

This is, of course, subject to no hold ups on our notorious public transport system.

A car service might be more reliable although even that would be subject to no hold ups on the M25. If everything is clear, leaving at 09:00 you should arrive at the airport at 11:15. You could also book the car pick up for earlier than the train departure time of 09:06.

Use the following website:

http://www.fairfare.co.uk/web/passenger/searchOfferStepOne.do?id=1743

to get an idea of the taxi fare.

In view of the tightness of the time you really need to be able to complete your check in on-line from the ship.

I hope that is some help.

I've posed this question on my board but how about the rest of you???

I want your opinions as I'm thinking this through.

Our cruise ends in Harwich, England on a Saturday 4:00 a.m. It looks like our best bet with a return flight to the U.S. departs Garwick around 2:00 p.m. the same day. The boat train leaves Harwich around 9 a.m.....into London at 10:30ish.....about another hour to Gatwick Airport. I'm hoping that is enough time. Help!

Don't Panic! according to current timetables there are earlier trains to London. Why dont you get the 07.00 train which arrives in London at 8.33. You'd need to cross London from Liverpool St Station to London Bridge (which is nearer) or Victoria Station which on a Saturday shouldnt take too long at all, say 30 mins absolute maximum. Trains to Gatwick are very regular and take around 30 mins, so you could easily get to Gatwick by 10.00. Hope this helps. If you need any more information on traintimes go to http://www.thetrainline.com

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking I had to take the train from Harwich International Pier, but we could always go into town and catch an earlier train. Phew!:)

I was thinking I had to take the train from Harwich International Pier, but we could always go into town and catch an earlier train.
I don't think you need to go into town. All these trains should call at Harwich International. The only real advantage of the special cruise ship train is that it's non-stop and therefore about 15 minutes or so faster than the normal trains to Liverpool Street.
Another quick question: Would four adults and their luggage fit into a British taxi?
How much luggage? One suitcase per person would probably be OK, if possibly a bit of a squeeze. Two suitcases per person: no.

This is assuming you mean the standard London taxi (a "black cab").

Godblessya Globaliser ~ Yes a Black Cab. The four of us are related and don't mind cuddling up to each other. Should be four suitcases, unless I buy a lot of junk in each port. We may have small carry-ons/knapsacks as well. I'm feeling less stressed. Thank you!

We just came back from the Baltics and took the train to LSS, and from there a cab to Paddington - next to platform 10 where there is no need for stairs etc. There were four of us with 4 big suitcases - 4 carry-ons and it all fitted. The cab can take 2 suitcases in front with two carryons, and the rest at the back!

Relax!

Archived