Anchorage to Denali Park

Sunny Lady

In lieu of doing the cruise pre-tour we are thinking of doing a similiar tour but on our own. I know we of course can rent a car in Anchorage and drive up to Denali but if we chose not to, are there some type of buses and/or trains that we can catch from Anchorage to Denali? If so what are the time frames, the prices, and the names of some of these companies? Do we need to book something like this far in advance?

The Alaska Railroad is an option from Anchorage to Denali. Alaska Park Connection is another option. They can take you to Denali, you can stay for however many days you want, then you can catch their bus that will take you all the way to Seward if you like. Not sure of the websites, but http://www.anchorage.net may have links to both of these options.

Larry

As above there is the bus and rail option. The rail leaves about 8am and arrives at Denali Park around 4pm so you need to allow 2 full days for the transfer. The Alaska RR does a great job at commentary as well on this trip. You will need a hotel that provides depot pick up so that may elimate some of the smaller properties? Also you need to find out how early the shuttles go back and forth to Denali park as I assume you are going there to tour? I have taken the rail- but I greatly prefer driving- scenery is very similar and it affords me stops along the way and freedom. Just having access to a grocery store is a bonus. :) and the ability to take the early morning shuttles. There is so much to see and do if of interest. Allow 6 hours for the drive. The Park Highway- is a 2 lane well maintained road. Certainly NOT loaded with difficult driving nor "traffic". The many pull offs are worthwhile if something of interest is seen.

Archived