iPods

CRUISNDIVA

Hi all!

I'm planning on buying an iPod to take with me on my next cruise and I am totally clueless when it comes to which one to get :rolleyes:

I don't need anything super high tech just want something to hold all my music and something that is easy to use.

Any suggestions :confused:

Thanks!

:D

How much do you need to hold? When do you plan to use it? How much do you want to spend?

iPod shuffles are the cheapest, hold 1-2 gb, but they have no screen ... they only play in order or play things in a random order.

iPod Nanos are small devices that have a nice color screen and range from 4-8 gb, so they are not huge. They are solid-state memory, so there are no moving parts, making this a good, higher capacity choice for something to wear while exercising etc.

iPod Classics are bigger, have a larger color screen and hold 80-160 GB of information. These have a moving-parts hard drive and are not necessarily ideal for being jostled around.

iPod Touch looks like an iPhone and has basically all of the touch features except the phone. It is solid state, ranges from 8-32 GBs, is almost like a small computer (browswer, wifi,etc) and is also by far the most expensive model.

Apple's thing is that their devices are easy ... it is just basically trying to figure out how much you want to spend and how much storage space you need. I've had every model at one point or another ... right now I have an 8gb Nano and it has been meeting all of my music needs just fine.

and the new gen iPod Nano plays movies! Even though the screen is "little" image quality is really good. I use my on our public transportation (aka bus) every day -- either listening to tunes or watching a movie or video. It's light, easy to carry.

Now, the new iPhone 3G that became available here in Canada today -- now that looks like an amazing phone!

How much do you need to hold? When do you plan to use it? How much do you want to spend?

iPod shuffles are the cheapest, hold 1-2 gb, but they have no screen ... they only play in order or play things in a random order.

iPod Nanos are small devices that have a nice color screen and range from 4-8 gb, so they are not huge. They are solid-state memory, so there are no moving parts, making this a good, higher capacity choice for something to wear while exercising etc.

iPod Classics are bigger, have a larger color screen and hold 80-160 GB of information. These have a moving-parts hard drive and are not necessarily ideal for being jostled around.

iPod Touch looks like an iPhone and has basically all of the touch features except the phone. It is solid state, ranges from 8-32 GBs, is almost like a small computer (browswer, wifi,etc) and is also by far the most expensive model.

Apple's thing is that their devices are easy ... it is just basically trying to figure out how much you want to spend and how much storage space you need. I've had every model at one point or another ... right now I have an 8gb Nano and it has been meeting all of my music needs just fine.

Wow thanks for all the info!!

I don't want to spend mega bucks, maybe $200.00. I would be using it for working out mainly so something on the small side would be ideal.

I was looking at the Apple 4GB or 8GB Nano; is it worth it to spend the extra $40.00 and get the 8GB?

Thanks again!

Wow thanks for all the info!!

I don't want to spend mega bucks, maybe $200.00. I would be using it for working out mainly so something on the small side would be ideal.

I was looking at the Apple 4GB or 8GB Nano; is it worth it to spend the extra $40.00 and get the 8GB?

Thanks again!

It depends on what you want to put on it. If you want videos and the like, then yes. If you only want your music, you can get by very well with a 2G. Mine hold 500 songs. (All solid gold,BTW):D I picked up an ISound dock at TG Max in Mobile on out last cruise for less than $20. It is merely a speaker system for your Ipod. You plug the Ipod in and use it like a radio. Pretty handy!

If you just want music for while you're working out, and can accept having your music playing in a random order, look into the iPod shuffle. They're incredibly small, hold about 250 songs, and if you go to the Apple website, you can get a refurbished one for only about $40

If you want it for working out, get the 2G Nano - it holds about 2000 songs. The 1G isn't bad - I had one and it took me well over a year to upload the 1000 songs that it holds. I like the size of the Nano, and the screen is good quality.

Dont bother with the shuffle, there is no screen on it so you can't select it to play anything. It just shuffles through your songs however it wants. On regular iPods you can play all songs by one artist at a time, shuffle your whole library, play all songs from a certain genre, make playlists (like a workout playlist, a mellow playlist, etc.) The shuffle is something you buy for your kid or something, and you don't mind lf they lose it.:)

I filled up my Nano, so I bought the smallest classic which holds 10,000 songs. I bought an armband and use it when I jog or workout.

I have a one gig shuffle I use when I work out. I love it! It's very light and doesn't pull my pants down. :eek: I just make sure I load the songs onto it in the order I want to hear them and turn shuffle off so it plays straight through. Very easy.

I also own a 4-year-old 6 gig Mini (no longer produced). I've loved it, but I've finally outgrown it. My birthday is next month so I've been sending my husband a daily e-mail reminder that I want a new iPod classic, 80 gig. We have three flights for our next cruise, one one-and-a-half hour, and then two 15+ hours. I want to be able to watch video on it.

Once you learn how to use one of them, you can use all of them, and I'm a computer-idiot so it must not be too hard as I've been able to use them. (But I also have teenagers who have helped me figure stuff out from time to time. :D )

Robin

I use my ipod nano video (8g) for working out. I have an armband for it but typically I just put it in my pocket or up on the machine becuase it makes it easier to switch songs. If I ran outside, the armband would be ideal. It's not big and clunky at all, but I do recommend getting some kind of case for it so the outside doesn't get scratched. I used to have an old style shuffle and I upgraded to the 8g nano about a year ago. The screen is great because you can put pictures on it, along with video and I can pick what song I want to play and even sort by artist or music type. You can get games for it also.

Currently, I have 427 songs on it and have more than 5 g of memory free.

Thanks everyone :D !

Okay one more question....if I get the one with the screen will it be too big and clunky to use while working out?

Get the shuffle if you really want the smallest form factor. YOu can just clip it to your collar or t-shirt. But beware, as it is so small it can easily get lost or stuck in the washer. Create couple playlists and select the order you want and you won't need the screen or song changing.

If you want more flexibility to pick and choose albums, and/or multiple play lists get the Nano. Even in its newest wider configuration its very small and in an arm band very unintrusive. Unless you have several hundred CDs or thousands of songs the 4GB should be enough. Its also easy enough to rotate songs from your PC. But I've never met anyone who has regreted getting more memory, be it PC, Laptop, iPOD, or flash drive.

happy itunes :D

Let me throw in my two cents if I may .... there are some good and cheaper alternatives to Apple out there. Best Buy's own brand (Insignia) have plenty of storage including video and are about probably half the price of Apple. My kids have a Nano and a Touch ... I have the Insignia and it works fine for me. I use it at least 3 hours a day (gym/train). It will be on the Brilliance of the Seas with me next week :D

I have the ipod nano and I love it, I had the shuffle but upgraded and got the nano as a Christmas gift. I think you'd really like it. I use it all the time when I go to the gym, bought an armband at Target that closes with velcro and works great. It's also very easy to download music from Itunes and even from your own cd's. I'm not the most computer literate chick around but if I can do it...well. I have a silver one and they run about $149.00.

It also holds a charge for a long time!

good luck......:)

I am a newbie to the Ipod world myself. I went to several stores, researched online and wound up doing what eveyone incl sales help in the stores said "buy the apple". I bought the 8 gig (pink) and bought a small leather case for it at circuit city which has a belt clip on it so when walking it is convenient. I do not like the idea of an armband. It is very easy to use (this coming from someone who never knew how to use one) so go for it:)

just a note, not on what to buy, but where. the apple website sells refurbed ipods for incredible prices, and with apples amazing product support you don't have to worry if it is a clunker.

i have an old video ipod and within my family we have nearly every type of ipod out there. my fave is the nano, it's so cute!

Thanks to everyone for all their input and advice I really appreciate it :D

I was going to order on line since I'm intimidated by big box electronics stores :cool: but I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet on this one and see these things in person so I know which one will work best for me.

I'll let you know what I decided on.....I"m leaning towards pink myself....anything pink has got to be good ;)

My two cents: I got an I-Pod Classic (80 GB) for free through a class I was taking. It's cool and I enjoy it, but I have put 2000 songs on it and have barely dented it's capacity. For what I want and what I use it for, if I had to actually buy one, I'd buy a Nano.

My two cents: I got an I-Pod Classic (80 GB) for free through a class I was taking. It's cool and I enjoy it, but I have put 2000 songs on it and have barely dented it's capacity. For what I want and what I use it for, if I had to actually buy one, I'd buy a Nano.

Agreed! I have a 30gig/video that has over a thousand songs on it so far, and no where a dent in it. LOVE it. When I run on the treadmill, I sit it up at the magazine holder so that it's easy to change songs, adjust volume, etc. and it stays put. ALSO... for accessories, this is kind of a weird tip. At Christmas last year at Target, they had these razor gift sets (maybe Gillette..?) that came with mp3 player speakers. I bought the set for hubby, thinking they were probably a piece of junk. WRONG! Hubby HATED the razor set, but the speakers are great! They plug right into the iPod, and we take it when we go fishing, to the beach, and will be taking them on our upcoming cruise. It's small, very portable, and good enough quality to listen and enjoy without the earbuds. So, check Target and other discount stores around Christmas, and maybe they'll have them again!

As other posters have said, you may check them out in store, but I would suggest buying from the apple online store. Refurbished iPods come with free shipping AND have the same guarantee that new ones do for quite a savings (my 8gb nano was $149 as opposed to $199).

Okay I did it, I bought the Nano 4GB FOR $149.99 it's silver not pink :( but I guess I'll make do ;) .

It took me 20 minutes to get the darn thing out of the package but once I did it was pretty easy to figure out.

I'm listening to it as I type!

Thanks for all the help everyone....time to go download some more music :D

Cheers!

My FIL gave me his Nano for Christmas and I love it. Just one thing to be aware of: when you turn it off, make sure it's off & then lock it (slide the Hold thingy). When I first got it, there were many a times when I know I turned it off, only to find it playing a song, or worse, with a dead battery. I went online and found that others had the same problem. Sometimes when you turn it off & think it's off, it pops back on...

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived