Just of the Star

eiger

Just returned from the Star, July 5th -July 12th. This will be long and rambling, but I will do my best. Left Chicago on July 4th on Southwest, flight was uneventful. Arrived in Seattle at 10:00 A.M.. The Sheraton downtown was supposed to have a shuttle from the airport. This was not true, they send you to the regular downtown shuttle bus. We would have had to carry our bags to the other end of the airport so I decided to take a limo 45.00, because it picked us up right outside the door. What the heck we are on vacation!! Arrived at the Sheraton and was told they were overbooked and asked us if they could put us up in their sister hotel for free plus pay for our cab fare. They sent us to the W. Why not, what a way to start, free hotel. We asked at the front desk nand the concierge if you could see the fireworks from our room which had a view of the space needle and the bay. We were told no. Walked around town had dinner, got tired, returned to our room. Low and behold about 10:00 p.m. we heard a boom, and watched all the fireworks from our room. Great first day! Saturday July 5th left the W to head onto the ship at about 11:00 a.m. Acura was sponsoring free rides in the downtown area from the W, we asked them to take us to the pier, they were more than happy to take us, I tipped the driver a 5.00. Arrived at the ship, dropped the bags, went to VIP reception, met Simone our concierge and we were on our way to room 9232, Penthouse suite at the back of the ship with a wraparound balcony. What a nice room. It was a little smaller than our previous Norwegian cruises (owners suites), but the wrap around balcony was very nice. Had lunch at Cagneys, this is a nice perk, breakfast and lunch at Cagneys was very comfortable. Toures the ship, got a couple of hot stone massages for the wife and I, and we sailed out of Seattle. We ate at the following restaurants, Saturday- Le Bistro, Sunday-Versaille Lobster night, Monday-Soho, Tuesday- in room mix of Le Bistro and Soho, Glacier night, Wednesday-Cagneys, Thursday Le Bistro, Friday - Cagneys. Food was great in all. Prepared just the way we wanted with one exception, my wife ordered Salmon one night, I think it was Cagneys, it was underdone, sent it back and it was a little dryed out. Not bad since all we did was eat for seven days. We were invited to a number of optional events, and we attended them all. Sunday VIP cocktail party, Monday Captains cocktail party, Thusday tour of the Garden Villa, and Chocolate Buffet VIP at 10:40 prior to opening, Champagne and cake for Anniversary and honeymoon couples, had a great time at all of them. I will follow up with shore excursions and any other information I can give. I need to finish cooking dinner for the family. I will check as often as I can (back in the real world now), so if you have questions please send them and I will do my best to answer them. P.S. Excursions Whales bubble feeding. Again sorry about the poor set-up, but I wanted to get this out to everyone who have been so helpful to my wife and I on previos cruises, #8 in 2-1/2 Years and enjoyed all of them.

Thank you so much for the review. We're headed to Alaska on the Star on August 9th. We actually planned to stay at the W, but I'm using points so its "kinda free".

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experience on the ship and the excursions you took.

This is an anniversary trip for my Husdand & I , & our friends we're traveling with. Sailing 8/30. Arrive Seattle 8/27..Our annv. 8/20, our friend 8/27. How do you let the cruise ship know we are on an annv. trip?

Glad you had a good time.. I could tell pretty quickly into your review I was going to enjoy reading it because you seem to be a very "go with the flow" kind of person.

We have enjoyed two cruises in room 9232 on the Star and have on booked in Nov 09 on the Dawn suite 9232. Hope the luck holds out for that room too as that is a 14 day cruise. Also, didn't you just love Simone? Did you get to meet her fiancé? He is so cute and funny. They make the cutest couple. His name is Andre' , which I think is actually his last name but every one calls him Andre'. He is the Executive Chef.

Thanks everyone I am back, got to play with my new grandbaby for dinner, can't get better than that. Simone is fantastic, in fact 2 years ago we did the Wind in Alaska and she was our concierge then. She made it feel like a homecoming. The Anniversary party was because I had booked an Anniversary package in our rooom, it did not cost that much and it was very nice. Terry and Doug, thanks for your information prior to our trip, it was quite helpful.Our first excursion was the Misty Fiord and Wildlife Exploration, on the way out to the fiord we were able to see our first humback whales. They swam around, showed us some flukes, and dives which was incredible. Then we went into the fiord which was beautiful. We cruised all the way up to "God's Pocket", it was so quite and peaceful. I can't describe it in words (like much of Alaska). Our next excursion was the Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife Quest. You take a bus to the glacier and you have enough time to view the glacier, take pictures and walk to the visitors center. You reboard the bus and it takes you to the whale watching boat. If you can, get the two seats next to the back door to the deck, this gives you easy access to the viewing deck plus the comfort of the inside cabin. We came across a group of whales and the Naturalist explained that bubble feeding only happens in Alaska, and it is very rare. It could not have been 5 minutes later when I saw a group of whales fly out of the water bubble feeding. They continued this in approx. 5 minute intervals approx. 6 times, it was a sight to see. The Naturalist on the boat was almost in tears, this was only the second time she had seen this. We eventually moved on and found a group of Orca's. Again a great site. Second installment done, I have to finish the dishes. Keep sending questions, I will answer them as quickly as I can. Back to work in the A.M.. I can't beleive I had a misspelling in the title to this thread. I'm sure there are more, I am typing and not proofing. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!

Dishes are done, next excursion was the Glacier Point Wildernes Safari. You took a high speed boat to an island, got on a 4 wheel drive bus to a camp, put on rubber boots a life vest and a jacket and took a 1/4 mile hike through the woods. They tell you to bring bug spray, I thought that in 50 degree weather we would be OK, wrong the misquitos are as big as a VW. They did have some at the camp, but bring your own. AZfter the hike, you get into very large canoes and paddle out to the Glacier, about a half mile of paddling they kick in the outboard motor (thank god) and you go up to the glacier. It is beautiful!!! They even let you pick up small iceburgs and bring them into the canoe to look at. Our final excursion was the Whale and Marine Life Discovery tour in Prince Rupert. We saw so many Orca's and Bald Eagles, that I got tired of taking pictures, and referred to the bald eagles as the "pigeons of Alaska". Again it was an incredible sight to see. All excursions were booked through NCL, when we are on vacation I do not like to worry about anything.

I am so happy for you, yet jealous at the same time.. As many times as we have seen whale, we have never seen them bubble feeding.. Congratulations on that. And thanks for saying we helped some how with your cruise. That is a great feeling. Didn't you LOVE Misty Fjord?

Archived