Earliest Acceptable Flight from Long Beach

gargoyle999

I have a cruise on Princess Sapphire returning Dec 6th to port in San Pedro. What is the earliest departure flight time you would be comfortable with from the Long Beach airport? The cruise itinerary shows it getting back at 6am.

I have a flight on Delta and they keep changing the departure time! I would like to find out what time is the cut off where I would need to tell Delta it just won't work. Currently it is at 11:15a. Is this ok? I've never sailed on Princess, have never been to Long Beach, have never flown on Delta so a lot of firsts on this one.

I posted to your question on the Princess threads. Although immigration could throw a monkey wrench into your plans, I think you'll be fine. LGB is a tiny regional airport, lines are short to non-existent and if you're at the airport by 10, you'll have it made in the shade. Plan to carry off your own luggage.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be getting on the ship on Dec 6! I am having the same dilema - I found a better airfare going into Long Beach instead of LAX but the return flight would be at 11:10 a.m. and was also concerned about possibly cutting it too close. What method of transportation are you using to get from airport to port? Does Princess offer transfers or do we need to use shuttle or cab? Thanks for your input - have a great cruise - I know we can't wait!

The problem with a ships transfers that early, you would be better getting off on your own and getting a cab. the Transfer Buses have to wait for all passengers to disembark using Delta or any particular airlines for the airport, plus load the luggage unto the bus. We encountered a problem in Seattle coming back from our Panama Cruise, we were late due to heavy seas out of San Francisco, didn't disembark until 1 PM, should have been 11 AM, flight left at 3:30 PM, bus driver told us and others to hail a cab, as he had to wait on remaining passengers. We had a 30 min ride to airport. Notified Princess thru my TA when we returned regarding the Cab fare, Princess reimbursed all our Transfer Fees, we were looking at only the cab fare of $27.

I would spend the money and get a private car to take you to the airport. Yes, there are lots of taxis too but sometimes with multiple ships there and depending on timing you may have to wait. Having a car is one less thing to worry about.

Keith

I would spend the money and get a private car to take you to the airport. Yes, there are lots of taxis too but sometimes with multiple ships there and depending on timing you may have to wait. Having a car is one less thing to worry about.

Keith

How does it work with a private car service? We'll do self debarkation but I'm not sure what time exactly we'll get off the ship. How do you schedule a time for pickup since it's a bit of an unknown? Thanks!

How does it work with a private car service? We'll do self debarkation but I'm not sure what time exactly we'll get off the ship. How do you schedule a time for pickup since it's a bit of an unknown? Thanks!

This is what we have done. We check with others who have been on the sailing to get an average time when passengers disembark (I post it on the cruise line board). Based on that I pick a time but I warn the car company that I could be running late. I also give them the relevant information. But, the key is that I have a cell phone with me and I can call them when the ship arrives to port while I am on the ship should there be a change. Also, know their contact information because sometimes the car has to wait in the area outside the pier until you are ready to be picked up. I've never had a problem doing it this way.

Keith

LGB is a tiny regional airport, lines are short to non-existent and if you're at the airport by 10, you'll have it made in the shade.

That is only true if it is sunny. Being that the cruise is in December, it might not be sunny, in which case there will not be any shade to be made in.

Keith

On Dec 6 both Princess and NCL will have ships in the port.

A couple of years ago we hired a car service (coolrides.com) as we knew we would have too much luggage to fit into our car trunk (15 day cruise worth of stuff). I asked the same question and the person I talked with at the company said she would put us down for a 10am pickup. Unfortunately, the disembarkation process started way late and at 10am, I knew we weren't close to being off the ship. I called coolrides and was told the driver will circle around until I call again from the shuttle pick up area. She even asked what we were wearing to make it easy on the driver.

I called again when we were outside and it wasn't long until the driver found us. We weren't charged anything extra from the predetermined rate (hopefully hubby gave the driver a good tip). We weren't in a hurry to get home, as we were just 50 miles away and not catching a flight.

Archived