My Flight Can't Be Booked-Worry?

gargoyle999

I have a flight on Delta for our Nov cruise leaving Nov 27th from MSP at 8:10am arriving in SLC at 10:07am. Then depart SLC at 2:50pm and arrive in LGB at 3:46pm. When I view our seats the plane only appears to be half full.

I'm worried because if I try to do a new reservation for the same date from MSP to LBG my flight isn't one of the choices! Is it possible the plane is full but not everyone has a seat assignment yet? Or is it more likely my fight is on the chopping block and Delta just hasn't told us yet?

I'm worried because if I try to do a new reservation for the same date from MSP to LBG my flight isn't one of the choices! Is it possible the plane is full but not everyone has a seat assignment yet?
As things currently stand, other websites show that the flight appears still to be bookable, but only at much higher prices than other flights. This may explain why it does not appear on the airline website, if you are searching by price. If you change your search to wanting specific flights by schedule, it may appear. Try that?

Also, try looking at the website timetable rather than the reservations engine, to see whether the flights are still loaded in that.

Looking at the seat map is about the worst possible way of judging whether a flight is full.

Thanks for the reply. If I look at the flight schedule for Nov 27th from MSP to SLC the flight shows up, so that is good. As soon as I put in MSP to LGB the flight goes away again. I don't see the 8:10am being available on orbitz if I use MSP to LGB. But even on delta website if I try to book from MSP to SLC it shows up!

Weird how the booking engine works I guess. Maybe since it's almost a 5 hour layover they figure no one would book it! :)

I know that a lot of US airlines have a maximum layover time, AA's for example is actually 4 hours on domestic flights, so that may be why your's is not showing up.

The best place though to monitor your flight is to actually log into your reservation.

Thanks for the reply. If I look at the flight schedule for Nov 27th from MSP to SLC the flight shows up, so that is good. As soon as I put in MSP to LGB the flight goes away again. I don't see the 8:10am being available on orbitz if I use MSP to LGB. But even on delta website if I try to book from MSP to SLC it shows up!

Weird how the booking engine works I guess. Maybe since it's almost a 5 hour layover they figure no one would book it! :)

Maybe I have missed something but ...

have you tried faking a reservation for SLC->LGB for 27 Nov and see if Delta.com shows it existing? If so, the flight is still scheduled and Delta just isn't showing the connection due to the long layover. (You already now that the MSP->SLC flight is still scheduled.

Paul

Maybe I have missed something but ...

have you tried faking a reservation for SLC->LGB for 27 Nov and see if Delta.com shows it existing?

In fact, I've since had a look at both sectors on delta.com, and they are both there.

So I think that the OP is safe - at least at the moment.

I gather your current schedule is a rebooking after DL has numerous schedule changes, and it made an exception to allow you have a layover over 4 hours between 2 legs.

Since the 5 hour layover is NOT allowed, if you are going to book it as a new itinerary, the system would not pick the 6am departure by default.

The best way to make sure your itinerary stay intact is to look up your OWN Reservation online.

Thanks everyone! I agree the individual segments are still there for now. It must be the nice long layover on Salt Lake City. I'll just keep checking my reservation every day and only worry about it when I see the schedule changed message for the umteenth time! :)

Thanks everyone! I agree the individual segments are still there for now. It must be the nice long layover on Salt Lake City. I'll just keep checking my reservation every day and only worry about it when I see the schedule changed message for the umteenth time! :)

Why worry? It won't change anything. Think positive and look forward to getting on your way w/o incident.

Since the 5 hour layover is NOT allowed, if you are going to book it as a new itinerary, the system would not pick the 6am departure by default.

Just to clarify....connections of longer than 4 hours are allowed on domestic itineraries IF the connect is on the first flight out to your next destination. Since the 2:50 flight is the next available, it is legal even though it is 5+ hours. Simple rule....4 hours OR the first available, whichever is longer.

On an international itinerary you get 24 hours or first flight. Which can make for some free "stopovers" that are actually connections - you just have to work the timing to give you the opportunities. Great example is flying into NYC after your flight out (same time the next day) to your European destination. You get to stay overnight, have an evening on the town plus most of the next morning and afternoon, then take the flight that leaves within 24 hours of your arrival in NYC. No cost on the airplane ticket.

I forgot about the Last Flight In First Flight Out rule. You are correct about this.

However, you are not correct on the International flights - it depends on airlines - I know for a fact, AA only allows 6 hour layover on International flights, though the Last Flight In First Flight Out rule still applies.

UA, on the other hand, has an official 23hr59min allowance on International itinerary, even on the domestic leg of it. You dont need to be on the Last Flight In First Flight Out scenario. We did exactly that with our trip to New Zealand and Australia. We flew FLL/ORD/LAX arrived LAX just passed midnight, for the Air NZ flight departing 11:30pm following day to AKL. Did similar thing on return, arrived AKL from SYD just before midnight, then departed AKL following evening. Arrived SFO in early afternoon, then departed SFO for ORD/FLL before noon the following day (2nd flight of the following day, so it was not the First Flight Out).

With AA, unless you can find the Last Flight In First Flight Out connection, you only get 6 hours layover. Longer than that is counted as a Stopover instead of a Layover. AA is stingy on the 6 hour International Layover Restriction. :mad:

Just to clarify....connections of longer than 4 hours are allowed on domestic itineraries IF the connect is on the first flight out to your next destination. Since the 2:50 flight is the next available, it is legal even though it is 5+ hours. Simple rule....4 hours OR the first available, whichever is longer.

On an international itinerary you get 24 hours or first flight. Which can make for some free "stopovers" that are actually connections - you just have to work the timing to give you the opportunities. Great example is flying into NYC after your flight out (same time the next day) to your European destination. You get to stay overnight, have an evening on the town plus most of the next morning and afternoon, then take the flight that leaves within 24 hours of your arrival in NYC. No cost on the airplane ticket.

I forgot about the Last Flight In First Flight Out rule. You are correct about this.

However, you are not correct on the International flights - it depends on airlines - I know for a fact, AA only allows 6 hour layover on International flights, though the Last Flight In First Flight Out rule still applies.

Nope.... I have an AA flight from JFK to Genoa with connection in Paris which is nearly eight hours, and there are several earlier flights, so I think Flyer is right.

Archived