Anyone considering the Misty Fjords trip in Ketchican?

pengu1n

Don't! This was the worst way to spend $600 ($159 per person for 4 of us) that I can envision. Please don't think I'm here to bash HAL - I just want to save like-minded people from an expensive time-waster. Here's the description:

Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer: "The adventure begins as soon as you leave Ketchikan’s picturesque harbor, passing by colorful fishing boats and float planes, in route to a wilderness experience you will never forget. Enjoy the service and narrative provided by your crew, and watch for wildlife as you “fly” at sea level past the rugged coastlines bordering Revillagigedo Channel.

Voyage into Behm Canal, surrounded by the pristine beauty of Misty Fjords. Stop to view an active bald eagle’s nest, and a Tlingit pictograph. Admire New Eddystone Rock, an immense volcanic spire rising from the emerald sea. You’ll delight in the unhurried exploration of Rudyerd Bay, an ice-carved masterpiece deep within the Monument. Learn the natural history of the fjords while gliding quietly beneath 3,000-foot vertical cliffs. Feel the mist of glistening waterfalls and listen to the call of seabirds nesting on a rock face sculpted by glacial forces.

Cruise south from Rudyerd Bay to view a gathering of harbor seals. Enjoy a selection of complimentary snacks and beverages while watching for other species of wildlife that thrive here. In route to Ketchikan, you’ll have the Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer opportunity to experience native culture and history presented by a Tlingit story-teller, watch a native artist at work, or enjoy a tour-related video presentation."

About the only part that was true was "flying by at sea level." The boat traveled at top speed, down the center of the waterways, and never slowed down except a slow pass by Eddystone rock and about 5-10 minutes as we reached the turn around point. We were farther from either coastline than the cruise ship travels, with no possible chance of seeing wildlife with the supplied binoculars, even if you could focus on something going so fast. All my pictures were blurry, due to the motion. No 'feel of mist' from waterfalls although we did zoom past several. It was almost comical on the top deck, as the guide announces, "there's a waterfall on the port side" (we all run to that side) and 30 seconds later, "we're coming to one on the starboard side." (we all run to the other side to see that one zoom past.) We also zoomed past the eagle nest (sorry, again I have no pictures to post!), didn't go past the Tlingit pictograph (or maybe the guide couldn't talk fast enough to point it out). There was a Tlingit story teller, who was so uncomfortable talking to us, and talked so repetitively and without a clear goal, it was painfully embarrassing. She also happened to be the native artist, which was never announced, until during her talk she thanked the "few people who stopped to ask about her work." (She was sitting in a corner, sewing something.) There was no video. We saw 2 eagles in a tree, right around the corner from the cruise ship and one seal in the water (the only reason I know it was a seal was because the guide said so, it was so far away it was just a dark bump in the water.) You could tell from the guide's talk this wasn't a bad day for viewing wildlife, there just wasn't any to view at any time. My family slept through most of it, while I valiantly tried to take pictures, but I probably would have benefited more from the nap.

In its favor, if I had to say something nice, the guide was personable and knowledgeable. The vegetarian chili was very good and they had plenty of hot chocolate. The boat goes very fast, if you like fast rides in a big tour boat, but I guess compared to a ski boat, it wasn't all that fast.

We were on a back-to-back, so in Ketchican I can recommend the Lumberjack show and the Totem bight park trip. It was a nice blend of comedy, workmanship and history. If you want to do this on your own instead of the taking the ship tour, the Lumberjack show is an easy walk from the pier, and if you got your own transportation to Totem Bight, it would allow you to also go the other totem park next door to Totem Bight (although then you would miss the info the guide gives you.)

I highly recommend the Misty Fjords flightseeing. We booked this independently. We landed on a lake and got out on a floating dock. It was majestic!Image-C581E10FB80D11D8.jpg

We did the same tour but through HAL and thought it was beautiful, especially when they stopped and let you sit on the side of the float plane in the most peaceful of all spots.

I did the Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer this past May. I actually booked it on the internet and it was a little cheaper at $145. I thought it was a great trip. The boat stopped so we could take photos of eagles, eagle nests, waterfalls, and seals. At no point did I ever feel we were rushed. The guides were excellent and very informative. I was glad to get out of Ketchikan with all its souvenir shops and see some truly beautiful scenery. You can check out this tour on http://www.allenmarinetours.com.

The biggest waste of time is the Saxman Totem Park. Almost nothing there but a few totem poles and another souvenir shop.

I did the Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer this past May. I actually booked it on the internet and it was a little cheaper at $145. I thought it was a great trip. The boat stopped so we could take photos of eagles, eagle nests, waterfalls, and seals. At no point did I ever feel we were rushed. The guides were excellent and very informative. I was glad to get out of Ketchikan with all its souvenir shops and see some truly beautiful scenery. You can check out this tour on www.allenmarinetours.com.

The biggest waste of time is the Saxman Totem Park. Almost nothing there but a few totem poles and another souvenir shop.

I also did the Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer trip in May - booked through HAL and thought it was a beautiful trip. It helped that the weather was gorgeous that day, but I never felt rushed and took lots of pictures. I thought the crew was very professional.

We were on the boat excursion, not the float plane, so I don't know anything about that. I am glad for those of you who had a good experience with this trip, but I can't imagine that anyone on our excursion would recommend it. Maybe we just had a crew that was rushing for some reason. They only slowed the boat 2 times the whole trip, at the rock & when we turned around. I wrote a detailed critique on their comment card and also spoke to the shore excursion desk.

We did the whale watch excursion with the same company (allen) in Juneau & it was excellent.

Sorry you did not see any wildlife. We did this same excursion through HAL last July and saw over 20 whales, 1 brown bear on shore (got a great picture), eagles, seals, ducks and birds. It was one of my favorite excursions. I felt very lucky to see as much as we did.

I thought Misty Fjords was one the highlights of my Alaska trip last September. I was initially put off by the costs of the shore excursion in Alaska but you really need to get out of the ports and see the vast openess but I was amazed by Misty Fjords. We saw mountain goats on a steep snow covered mountaintop and landed on the water and just got out of the plane and just watched other floatplanes land and take off.

My flightseeing excursion cost $237 per person last Sept which was only $78 dollars more than your excursion. These memories were priceless and since my best friend coudn't afford it I paid for his too because memories are better when you have good people to share it with.

1178191261_WILDGOATONTHESIDEMOUNTAININMISTYFJORDSNATIONALPARK.jpg.e445a9ab42d132f3a1ff242d1f240d80.jpg

103670567_JONHAPPYASACLAMONTHEFLOATPLANE-1.jpg.731c8334d845b1bdc994377a4b331a09.jpg

We just got back from a trip to Alaska on the Volendam. We took the boat tour to Misty Fjords, and it was okay (expensive considering what it is, but it is Alaska). The scenery was spectacular (for about an hour of the four hour trip), but we only saw two harbor seals - I guess it isn't advertised as a wildlife tour.

As for the comment on the Tlingit story teller by Pengu1n, obviously, you haven't had a lot of contact with aboriginal people. When you say that the story teller was "repetative" and had "no clear goal", this is an insight into how native cultures around the world work, and I find this a beautiful trait to have. Jane, the native Alaska travel guide, on board the Volendam was fantastic to listen to and speak with on cultural subjects, but some the questions asked by people on board just stunk of a complete ignorance as to how their culture works.

I did the Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer this past May. I actually booked it on the internet and it was a little cheaper at $145. I thought it was a great trip. The boat stopped so we could take photos of eagles, eagle nests, waterfalls, and seals. At no point did I ever feel we were rushed. The guides were excellent and very informative. I was glad to get out of Ketchikan with all its souvenir shops and see some truly beautiful scenery. You can check out this tour on http://www.allenmarinetours.com.

Yes we took this tour through another cruiseline and I agree with you. It was so peaceful as most of the time it was just our boat. We stopped at two waterfalls. We also stopped in route the Misty Fjords to see a group of sea lions on a groups of rocks. The cost was the same as yours and we did not book directly with them online. They offered some smoked wild Alaskan Salmon which I didn't care for.

We did go to the Creek street area but didn't like it and it was oh so crowded! Much preffered the solitude of the wilderness. Actually it was called Misty Fjords by boat. So could be a different tour the OP took.

We did the float plane, for which you fly through the area and get one short landing to stand in the quiet on the pontoons. It was incredibly beautiful, but you certainly didn't get CLOSE to nature. But you did see the big picture gorgeousness of Alaska.

We loved it. I want to be reincarnated as an Alaska bush pilot.

Barb in so cal

Archived