Dolphin?

Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone here that worked on the Dolphin IV during 92-93? I am looking for a guy named Tibor who is from Hungary and was a waiter in the main dining room.

If any one knows his last name or has current info about him I would be really happy to know more information.

Thanks,

~Tamara~:p

Tamara,

I worked in the Gift Shop from 92-93. I remember Tibor, but unfortunately never knew his last name. He was on the Oceanbreeze with me as well.

Tamara,

I worked in the Gift Shop from 92-93. I remember Tibor, but unfortunately never knew his last name. He was on the Oceanbreeze with me as well.

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know that you knew Tibor. :)

I guess it would be really hard now to find out his last name and where he is at now-a-days.:confused:

I'm really hoping to find Tibor or at least find out that he's ok and happy. It's a long story on why I am searching for him.

As the saying goes.... I guess that ship has sailed.:(

But "Thank you" anyway....

~Tamara~

We were on the Dolphin Sept 21,1987. It was our first cruise as well as our honeymoon. We met some wonderful people who lived in Miami and got on as last minute passengers. I'm sorry to say we lost touch shortly afterwards. But I do remember most of the group worked for the telephone company at the time. They made our cruise wonderful. The ship and cabins were small. The dining experience was really nice. We also spend most nights in the tiny cramped but fun disco.

Ahhhhhhh.....the disco. That was always the last place on the ship you'd go before turning in for the night. Down that steep set of stairs.I had the pleasure of being the CD on her when she was with Dolphin and then with Cape Canaveral Cruises. I tell a lot of people that I had more fun on that ship then on any other. Of course, I was a little younger back then, and could "hang" for most of the night and early morning and still be up the next day. These days, when the DW and I finish work, we're back in our cabins ASAP.

Aloha,

Dave

Elua

• 4 weeks later...

My DH and I cruised a few times on Dolphin, the Dolphin IV and the Seabreeze. Our very first cruise was a 5 day cruise abord the IV with Tom as the Cruise Director he was great we had such a wonderful time that was in May of 1991, then in November of 1991 we again saled on the IV and when Tom saw us he immediately remembered our names that surprised and impressed us so much. That cruise Tom had us seated with the Captain I was so nervose about sitting with the captain but he made me feel so at ease it was just a wonderful time that we had on all our cruises with Dolphin. They were the best cruise line I have been on even though the ships were small and old they were well kept and made everyone feel at home. The food was great, even now I have been on many cruises but I wish Dolphin was still around I would do it again in a heart beat. Wish I could find Tom and if he were still a cruise director on another ship would be great. He was the best cruise director he was always around not like today when you never see the cruise director just there assistants. Ah the old days of cruising were so great I really do miss them.....MO

!!!!!!

I sailed the Seabreeze with my Mom and Best Friend in October as my "I Left My Cheating Husband" celebration cruise. It was a Western Caribbean itinerary that took us to Cozumel, Cayman and Jamaica (I think Montego Bay because I remember not going to the falls because it was too far). The cruise left from Miami and I remember buying the tiniest bikini of my life in South Beach the day before we left.

It was ridiculously cheap for 3 of us in an outside cabin that looked out onto the outer promenade. I think maybe $399 a person for the week!

I remember the disco being downstairs towards the very front of the ship - it was kind of like going into a cave! The gym was a teeny tiny room towards the middle/back of the ship but the sports guy was from Canada and uber hot (but he knew it!).

Met a FABULOUS group of gay men from Atlanta traveling together. We were behind them in line for check in and decided to stalk them and make them our friends because they were having the MOST fun of anyone on the cruise. I played a pool game with one of them where he had to eat a bunch of saltines and then I had to pour a beer down his throat!

I spent a lot of this cruise highly inebriated and flirty but I do remember our table mates who were Disney castmates - she was Snow White!!!!!

This cruise was exactly what I needed at the time ....

meandcanvacation.jpg.699f8ac19222343a74f6a99ea789f711.jpg

Our first cruise was also on the Dolphin. I remember opening the cabin door to leave for dinner the first night to find those "air sick" bags tucked into the railings going down the hallways. The ship was really tossing and turning that night. Everyone was leaving the dining room unable to eat, including a pilot from Air Canada who could not believe he got sea sick. The put his salad in front of him and he literally turned green and bolted from the dining room.

She really started my love for cruising.

• 5 weeks later...

We had the unfortunate experience of being on this ship in 1994, we had been on 10 other cruise prior to that, and were convinced to go with a group of about 100 Shriners. The rooms were small and dark with no room service at all, the food in the dining room was bad, the entertainment on board consisted of a piano player sucking on Tabasco sauce, and a bunch of the drunk Shriners mooning everybody at the piano bar. This was by far the worst ship we have ever been on and we have been on 20 cruises to date. There was one good thing about the Dolphin line it made me appreciate all the other ships we have been on that much more:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• 2 months later...
Ahhhhhhh.....the disco. That was always the last place on the ship you'd go before turning in for the night. Down that steep set of stairs.I had the pleasure of being the CD on her when she was with Dolphin and then with Cape Canaveral Cruises. I tell a lot of people that I had more fun on that ship then on any other. Of course, I was a little younger back then, and could "hang" for most of the night and early morning and still be up the next day. These days, when the DW and I finish work, we're back in our cabins ASAP.

Aloha,

Dave

Elua

in high heels, and a fancy dress. This was my very first B2B. I got to dine in the Officers mess that day, as boarding wasnt til afternoon, and no meals til dinner. And just last week on a B2B, I was invited by the Captain, to join the officers in the mess for dinner, on the last sea night. He served me the courses..no white gloves...but.. he was Italian!:p

• 1 month later...

My wife and I enjoyed 3 cruises on the Dolphin IV out of Miami, celebrating each of our 40th birthdays on separate cruises back in the late 80's and early 90's. While it was a small ship, the service was great and that special dessert room they had toward the rear of the dining area was a great feature. As I recall, on our first cruise we had a great cabin located right off the foyer area which our travel agent at Burdine's sold us and then after we had our tickets, they asked us for an additional $200 as they felt we were undercharged. We laughed and said collect it next time. On our third cruise, the ship had fallen into quite bad disrepair and it was ready for the scrap heap in our opinions. I have read that it was finally forced from service because the water and other tank tops rusted away and were too expensive to repair. Here is a sad photo of the ship in Aland, India just prior to being cut up for scrap...

1543890270_DolphinIVAlang.jpg.1dde71353636a75ebd75ff7c0f1c8c76.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our first cruise was on the Dolphin IV in Feb 1989, and we were hooked!

We sailed on the Seabreeze in July 1995 and it was a wonderful cruise even tho we sailed thru hurricane Erin and they had to repeat the formal night because so many folks were seasick.

My daughter won one of the pool games, bringing up the most fruit in your bathing suit. She managed a pineapple in her little bikini.

Gosh, I wonder if that was a Dolphin cruise we were on!? I know a lady did get a pineapple in her bathing suit on one of our cruises. The Dolphin was our 1st cruise and that hooked us on cruising! After Dolphin Cruise lines folded we discovered she was now the only ship of Port Canaveral Cruise lines. Had a fantastic New Years cruise for the Millenium on her! And went on her next to last cruise before they could not afford the $1.5 MILLIION more than they thought to fix her, its sad she went to India where they take ships apart. Had dinner with 3 captians on her and our 1st cruise had free bottles of red and white wine every night, every table, in the dining room.

We were on the SeaBreeze 5 times when she sank off our coast and the OceanBreeze 3 times. we loved that little cruise line! Bert Stratton who sang/played the piano on the OceanBreeze is now on Princess still to standing room only crowds!

We do not like NCL at all but their ship the Majesty was built by Dolphin in 1992 as the Royal Majesty. NCL bought her when they sold all their ships.She has 1200 passnegers and we love her. Been on 3 times and are thinking of going on her last trip for NCL. In November she is going to Louis Cruises and will sale fron England! But, we won't go there just to sail on her!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on the Dolphin IV and the SeaBreeze, and the line did such a great job of how they treated you. I was only 13 when my parents and I cruised on Dolphin IV, and 2 years later, we went on the SeaBreeze. Both cruises were great! On the first one, I had a friend with me and because we were two girls traveling with my parents, the Maitre'd seated us with a family that had two boys our age. My girlfriend and I ended up hanging out with the two boys for the entire cruise, and I even had my first kiss with one of them (very memorable)! :)

• 2 months later...

To be honest, the worst cruise I've ever taken was on the Dolphin "Oceanbreeze". I was about 12 or so at the time. I don't remember much about the inside of the ship (except that it was pretty bad), but I remember how much my family and I would make fun of the ship once it was over. :p We really didn't know much about the Dolphin Cruise Line before we went. We had booked the cruise through a local travel agent. I remember we sailed out of Aruba, which was a very windy place! I think we had just been used to the quality of the cruise lines that we had cruised with before that when we sailed on the Oceanbreeze we were disappointed. I also remember that the blue paint that was on the hull of the ship was flaking off and appeared faded. It seemed that the ship was somewhat neglected. This was in 1995.

Oh I remember that ship small but so much fun we went with a group of about 200 all followers of a Christian Rock Band (were we called groupies back then?) 20 years ago on the Sea Breeze brings back memories :rolleyes:

I sailed on a dolphin ship 6/1995. 90% of the passageners on the ship were on their honeymoon, as were we. It was wonderful. Best food I have ever had on a cruise and best service. The shore excursions were even better. The smaller ships usually have better service. I was sad to see Dolphin go out of business.

Fun to hear about Bert Stratton again and to find out that he is still entertaining and packing them in for another line. We were in his audience on the OceanBreeze in 1993, and he was fantastic, a blast and just darn good......despite fighting a cold. He had a horrid sore throat that cruise, but he never let up. While performing, he had the bar folk bring him a tray every 20 minutes, and on that tray was a Coke, a Tabasco bottle and a spoon. He'd take a spoonful of Tabasco and a shot of Coke and yell: "Oh My God! What's my name?!" "Bert!!!" we'd all yell. He never missed a beat...especially in the middle of a song when one of the few kids on board literally marched through the bar area, frowning and totally focused on where he was going, past Bert, wearing an Indian headress. Bert switched to Indian drum notes on his keyboard, yet the kid was totally oblivious to all of us. We all roared! Loved Bert...went every night, as did everyone else! And have never forgotten Coke and Tabasco!

Seabreeze went down in a really bad hurricane off the mid-East Coast. Passengers and most crew were dropped off, and a skeleton 7-man crew was trying to move the ship out of harm's way. At the time, and maybe still, it was one of most dramatic rescues in in maritime history. Seas tossing the ship like a top, winds blowing helicopter around and up and down, and crew members trying to grab a rope from the bouncing helicopter that was being whipped out of their hands, and then being lifted one by one to safety. One of my Dad's airplane enthusiasts' mags ("Flying" mag, maybe) had that rescue as its cover story.....those pilots risked all to get those crew members, despite being told to get the you-know-what outta there and almost running out of fuel. It was an incredible story to read. And amazing photos.

Sorry but the SeaBreeze DID NOT go down in a hurricane. We live in the NC coast and it was a local news story. It happened in November. The ship was repossesed in the middle of a cruise, I think it was Nova Scotia. This was in August. In November the ship was on its way to Miami when it started taking on water off the VA/NC coast. Our news showed lifting one of the 35 crew members, by helicopter, off the pool deck. I had been in that pool a year before. It sank in water too deep to recover her so nothing else has been done about the sinking! We had been on her 5 times and miss those smaller ships!

Well, it looks like we both could be correct. I found the article on the Internet by going to ASK for: Seabreese, Flying Magazine: Found it right way at top of the list. It starts out:

<

The Perfect Rescue

The most incredible feat of airmanship in the history of the helicopter.

By George Hall

January 2002

If, as hoary nautical tradition holds, it's bad luck to rename a ship, then the poor old SS Sea Breeze was damned and damned again......

<

Article goes on to recount that as you say, that the ship was seized by creditors, passengers dumped in Nova Scotia, etc. Then the ship wallowed, so to speak. In December 2000, ship had new owners and was being moved to Charleston for its a retrofit and a new name when the gale winds came up.....35-foot waves and 60-knot gusts. And then followed the amazing rescue of the crew and loss of the ship. Of course, article writer could have gotten some things wrong. But regardless, she was a beautiful ship and we loved sailing on her.