Hotel in Southampton

tmcauban

Hello everyone.

Has everyone ever stayed at the Novotel Southampton? They have very good rates and seem to be just across from the railway station.

Last time we stayed at the Devere Grand Harbour, and it was great; but this year their rates available for that night before sailing, are very high.

We are not travelling on a Cunard hotel package, as we are using frequent flier miles to fly to London Gatwick.

Thank you for your answers.

Chris

From New York

Sailing on around the UK Farewell cruise Sept. 30, 2008

(and returning home to New York on the ship, Oct. 10 final westbound crossing)

Hi there,

The Novotel, as a chain are fine. Good standard and the hotel is new and slap bang next to Soton Central (Railway Station) and the City Cruise Terminal.

We are on the QM2 for the tandem and booked it with an online site. The Hilton is MILES away, and we got the Novotel for £40. The De Vere Harbour on the same site was available for £390..... Hmmmmm.

I may treat myself to 1st Class on the way down from Waterloo after work.

ps. It as a pool :)

Hello everyone.

Has everyone ever stayed at the Novotel Southampton? They have very good rates and seem to be just across from the railway station.

Last time we stayed at the Devere Grand Harbour, and it was great; but this year their rates available for that night before sailing, are very high.

We are not travelling on a Cunard hotel package, as we are using frequent flier miles to fly to London Gatwick.

Chris

From New York

Chris, we have not finalized our plans yet, but have contemplated an overnight at Southampton. I too am working on using up my miles for one of the tickets, flying out of JFK to somewhere in London. This hotel sounds ideal. we are flying out the 26th to spend a few days in the UK before the cruise. Perhaps we will end up in the same hotel.

Ken

I have stayed at the Novotel twice - once about 4 years ago and again in '07. It was just fine, friendly and helpful service, large, quiet rooms, good beds, nice bathrooms and lots of light from the big window. The dining room serves an enormous buffet breakfast and also has a good dinner menu. For lighter fare you can get a few sandwiches and soup in the bar area. Out in front of it there was a TGI Fridays and (I think) McDonald's. There are always a lot of people on sailing day so the taxis to the cruise terminal come in to the lobby and have your name so they aren't mobbed by people waiting. ~Enjoy!!

Hello everyone.

Chris

From New York

We will be staying there next week, we'll let you know what its like!

Novotels in the UK are fine and probably a little better appointed than their French hotels which are quite spartan - 4 star in the UK & 3 star in France IIRC.

They offer a very consistent product - clean, comfortable & a decent breakfast. Room service is limited but good quality.

Novotel is very much a "formula" product, like Big Macs at McDonalds they are the same everywhere, but it's a good product & they don't over inflate F&B prices like many UK hotels.

I stay at Jury's Inn. Rates reasonable, they have a dining room with decent B-fast buffet and tasty dinner. It's relatively new construction or newly renovated. Rooms have new furniture and the beds I could sleep 24 hours. I did sleep over 12 a week or so ago.

We've stayed at the Southampton Novotel on a number of occasions, the last time was on May 30. 2008. As mentioned above, it's a reasonable hotel, clean, fairly large rooms, modern bathrooms, in room tea/coffee making facilities, but no refridgerator. Each time we have stayed here, the room was available well ahead of the usual 3:00pm check in time and it's within walking distance of a shopping center and supermarket. Again, as mentioned previously there is a TGI Fridays about 100 yards away (but quite crowded at the weekends) and next to it, is a MacDonalds.

It's really not within walking distance, especially with luggage, of the railway station, bus station and the pier - but a short taxi ride (cost about 5 - 6 pounds).

We have traveled by rental car from both Gatwick and Heathrow to Southampton. Hertz and Alamo/National have offices within walking distance of the hotel (neither are open on Sundays). We have also used National Express bus service to Southampton from both Gatwick and Heathrow. The service from Gatwick is via Heathrow (requires a connection). National Express gives senior discounts.

Hope the above helps.

Just booked a room at the Etap in Southampton, £32 a night, arriving 8 October. Looks like it's near the Novotel and Ibis, close to the train station. Same parent company as Novotel (Accor). Haven't stayed at one before, but have stayed at nearly every other brand Accor owns and have been very satisfied.

I travel a lot, business and personal. After a while, all hotel/motel rooms start looking alike. As long as the room is moderately dark and quiet, I can get a good night's sleep, and that's about all I need. And after a couple of nights in relatively spartan conditions, think how much nicer the QE2 will be!

Archived