Frustrated due to long time to cruise.

Robert6260

For the first time I booked a cruise nearly a year off. I booked a back to back cruise on the Carnival Freedom leaving from Fort Lauderdale 5/21/09 for a six day cruise followed by an eight day cruise on 6/14/09. I will be cruising for 14 days.

The first cruise is my 10th cruise on Carnival so I will be Platinum status. I’m really looking forward to the VIP check in and the other Platinum perks.

The frustration is caused by the inability to look at hotels and air fare so far out. I want to fly but I have not decided whether to fly to Fort Lauderdale or Miami. I can get direct flights to Miami on American but First Class flights to Fort Lauderdale on Delta through Atlanta have good prices and are much cheaper than First class on American to Miami.

The city I fly into may determine where I stay before the cruise. I always fly in 2-3 days before the cruise. If I fly into Fort Lauderdale I will probably stay at the Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel and Yacht Club. I already have reservations here. In Fort Lauderdale I can use taxis for transportation since distances will be short.

I am considering flying to Miami and staying in South Beach before the cruise. This is the frustration. None of my favorite South Beach Hotels have prices in May of 2009. I have checked the Sagamore (my favorite), the National, and Loews. None will allow reservations this far out. I even called the Sagamore and they cannot book this far out.

So I will just have to wait to determine my transportation and pre-cruise hotel. How frustrating. Thank god for Cruise Critic so I can express my frustration.

I understand wanting to get all your "ducks in a row". It is hard not being able to book all the details.

If I was cruising out of FLL I would stay there rather flying into FLL or MIA, just me.

You can talk to us while your waiting for your cruise to get closer:D

I really love South Beach though. If I fly to Miami and stay in South Beach I will need a car service to take me to Port Everglades. Another detail to plan. Either way I will get it all planned out before I leave and hope every thing will be seamless.

Come talk to me when you book over 750 days out. Nearly a year out is nothing. So please stop whining LOL. Do what we do and book yourself a 3 day cruise in between, thats enough to give you a fix.

Have a great cruise :D

Fred

Melody, you have been on a lot of Cruises, Carnival, RCCI, and NCL. Which cruise line do you like the best and why? I love Carnival for the great food and relaxing atmosphere. I am now also very familiar with Carnival and with Platinum perks coming up I do not want to change cruise lines. I have looked at the Yachts of Seaborne because I have read that they treat solo travelers very well. But they are a lot more expensive then Carnival.

Guest carlogesualdo

I understand your frustration very well. I have to attend a conference in February and all I know about it at this point is that it will be in Chicago in February. My employer has a contract with Southwest Airlines, but they don't have prices that far out yet. The conference hotel information is not out yet. And anyway, none of that matters because they haven't given us the exact dates. My employer wants my travel budget for the next fiscal year already. Argh!

you had me worried there for a minute, I think you meant to put your 6 day is sailing on the 31st. I'm sailing the 8 day on the Freedom on the 23rd and was trying to figure out how that is possible!!

I'll try and leave her in good shape for ya! :)

I'm also a huge planner. Even if I'm not ready to book right away, having an idea of what I want when I am ready is nice--and a fun excuse to at least be able to start thinking about my next cruise.

If you want the certainty of booking now, there's always Amtrak. Their trains open up reservation inventory 11 months in advance (including the one which stops in Cary and runs to both Fort Lauderdale and Miami, the "Silver Star"). I rode it from New York when I took my cruise out of Miami earlier this year and had a great time.

Archived