What do kids' wear on formal night??!!

Hello!

This is our first time on a cruise... 23rd August on the Glory! :) We have two children, a daughter 13(yes.. going on 30!!!!) and a son 11.

My daughter has loads of ideas for what (or not) to wear on the formal night with the Captain, but can anyone give us any ideas for our son please!(He doesn't want to wear a Tux or a suit!!:rolleyes:

Look forward to hearing from you all!!!

:):)

We just got back from the July 19th Inspiration sailing. On the formal dinner night, my 8 yr old DD wore one of her "dressier" sun dresses. I saw a lot of girls, tweens, teens wearing sun dresses as well. My 10 yr old DS wore a pair of khaki pants and a dress shirt, no tie or jacket. I saw boys of all ages dressed up in a shirt and tie and some dressed like my son.

your son can wear dress pants or not so dressy pants (dockers are usually blue or tan color pants but not as dressy as dress or suit pants.)

He can wear a tie if he chooses but he doesnt have to to either. Let him pick out his outfit. Just tell him no shorts or blue jeans on formal night. Let him loose from there, Im sure he will choose wisely.

I have to boys, they like to dress up but they are very picky. They know the guidelines and always come up with wonderful ideas. Example: our Aug cruise my DS (15) is wearing a black suit, white shirt w/tie and even a hat (ever saw the movie the blues brothers?;) )

My girls usually just wear their Easter dresses or Christmas dresses depending on what time of year we travel. I've seen many kids in what seemed to be their Sunday best. Don't worry I'm sure your children will look great! ;)

Their Sunday best would be just right as long as they are comfortable. I have seen young boys in a tux and in Dockers and both look well dressed. Just dress to the occasion and they will be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

........and even a hat (ever saw the movie the blues brothers?;) )

You're not serious? A hat/cap in a formal dining room...or any dining room is very inappropriate.

(:cool: Blues Bros. or not.)

(We go on longer cruises , which I think is more formal)

Boys should wear a tie. I think black pants, white shirt, and tie would work. I've seen boys wear tuxes and black suits.

My teenage daughter has worn a formal dress and she was dressed like all the other girls her age. We have fun every year shopping for her cruise dresses, which she can wear to more dressy dances and other functions during the year. She's switched to tea length dresses.

There's nothing like family pictures, which are a treat when everyone is nicely dressed.

For your son..........slacks and a shirt and tie.

If the tie is too much, just the shirt tucked in would be fine.

I'd say even slacks and a collared knit shirt. I saw plenty of that on kids

(and adults) on formal nights on the Legend just a few weeks ago.

Enjoy! Don't put a lot of worry into dressing. Just wear whatever you would wear to a nicer restaurant or a wedding.

I took great pains to choose the most adorable dress pants/shirt/tie for my son on our cruise (he is 9) and he had no desire to do formal night. He opted for Camp Carnival. All that wardrobe planning for nothing. He was not much interested in the dining rooms at all. I did not make him go, I let him choose what made him happy. It was his vacation too!

Hello!

This is our first time on a cruise... 23rd August on the Glory! :) We have two children, a daughter 13(yes.. going on 30!!!!) and a son 11.

My daughter has loads of ideas for what (or not) to wear on the formal night with the Captain, but can anyone give us any ideas for our son please!(He doesn't want to wear a Tux or a suit!!:rolleyes:

Look forward to hearing from you all!!!

:):)

First of all. There NO longer is a formal night.

For any evening, there is no need for a tie,or a jacket. What you are being told is what those who still want to cling onto "Dressing up" want you to believe thinking if people still dress up,it will go back to the old ways.

Even shorts are allowed everynight now except for,what they call "Elegant dress" evening.

Steve

For any evening, there is no need for a tie,or a jacket. What you are being told is what those who still want to cling onto "Dressing up" want you to believe thinking if people still dress up,it will go back to the old ways.

Even shorts are allowed everynight now except for,what they call "Elegant dress" evening.

Steve

No matter what you call it, the posters on this thread are referring to one or more nights when you should dress more elegantly than the rest of the nights. Changing the name doesn't take away the fact that these nights are a great opportunity for teaching children and even teenagers the importance of dressing appropriately whenever they're in an elegant setting.

these nights are a great opportunity for teaching children and even teenagers the importance of dressing appropriately whenever they're in an elegant setting.

Teach them how to whoop,yell,and cheer during dinner? (Color wars)

Dance on tables? Great if you are going to be stripper.

Sing and dance thru the aisles as other try and eat while shaking a napkin and your butt in my face.

Just because you put twelve peices of silverware,a fancy door and a guy in a penguin suit does not make it elegant dining.In fact,the food is pre-prepared,so its not even on the upper level of the star chart.

This is on the same level as TGI fridays,Chile's,ect.

But the simple fact is....Am I wrong? Is there still a Formal night? NO!!

Steve

Teach them how to whoop,yell,and cheer during dinner? (Color wars)

Dance on tables? Great if you are going to be stripper.

Sing and dance thru the aisles as other try and eat while shaking a napkin and your butt in my face.

You must be the life of the party at your table with that attitude!

Steve

We were told that our cruise has an elegant and a formal night. On longer cruises, there are two nights. I always teach my daughter to dress appropriately and ignoring dress code rules isn't a lesson I want to teach..even if I don't think it's as formal as it needs to be.

I see Steveaaaaa is just as cheerful as ever :p LOL

It's still called "elegant", and the dress code for "elegant" night isn't that far off from what it used to be...

Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

There are 2 elegant nights for cruises that are 7 days or longer. I went on a 7 day and a 4 day cruise this summer. For the formal nights we saw men with shirt and tie, men with polo shirts, men in suits, and men in tuxes. Women ranged from Sunday best to long gowns. Children were pretty much dressed in Sunday dress. Even though it's no longer called formal night, it pretty much looked the same on previous cruises that had "formal" night.

your son can wear dress pants or not so dressy pants (dockers are usually blue or tan color pants but not as dressy as dress or suit pants.)

He can wear a tie if he chooses but he doesnt have to to either. Let him pick out his outfit. Just tell him no shorts or blue jeans on formal night. Let him loose from there, Im sure he will choose wisely.

I have to boys, they like to dress up but they are very picky. They know the guidelines and always come up with wonderful ideas. Example: our Aug cruise my DS (15) is wearing a black suit, white shirt w/tie and even a hat (ever saw the movie the blues brothers?;) )

Your boys will look great! Have fun. ;)

Archived