Wandering around in PV and Cabo

gargoyle999

We've booked with Mazatlan Frank for Mazatlan for our Nov Princess cruise to Mexico. I'm not finding excursions that I'm dying to do in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo. I've never been to any of these ports before. Is there enough to see just by wandering around PV and Cabo without any real plan/knowing where you are going or is it better for 1st timers to book something even if it's just a sightseeing tour.

I'm a planner and am worried if we get off the ship not knowing where to go to see anything we'll just wander around a little bit and not see anything!

PV is an awesome place to wander around in. Begin and end at the malecon, where there are famous sculptures. One block away is a beautiful church. A few blocks away, a flea market. The residents of PV are very friendly and helpful, and proud of their city...they'll be happy to point you in the direction of anything or anyplace you might be interested in. We've been visiting for 1 - 4 weeks at a time, for more than 15 years. We never get tired of "wandering" around PV.

Cabo is very easy to walk around, it's pretty compact and has lots of tourist areas with shops, restaurants, bars and is actually pretty 'americanized', plenty to see and do right around the port (it is a tender port though). Have a great cruise!

We just got off the Pride last week & had a great time. Our ports were Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan & Cabo. For the first time ever!!!!! we didn't plan any scheduled activities!!

In PV we walked over to the Krystal hotel, hung out for a few hours & really enjoyed the place. Walked back to the ship, at a little, then taxied down to the Malecon & wondered around, bar hopped, ate. Had a great time. I was disappointed, however, that a place I learned of on these boards, The Cheeky Monkey, was either not open or closed for good!! I was so looking forward to going there-it has such a great name!! Either way, we found other places to go.

In Mazatlan, totally out of character, we were going to hang out at Stone Island, but got wrangled by a time share lady who happened to be from the town next to us here and anyway, we were provided free taxi to & from, $100 for food, drinks or whatever we wanted and full use of the hotels facilities. We did need to listen to a 30 minute presentatin, but since it was only 10:30 in the morining, thought we had plenty of time to do both, so we did!! It was a beautifil resort, near the golden zone. On the return trip to the ship, the taxi driver (open air which was fun) took us on a mini-tour of the town showing us the sights. It was great. So, for only tips-which we were asked not to do!- we had a great day with plenty of food & drink.

In Cabo, the weather was a little cold & drizzly. When we went to get off the ship about 11 am, the line was at least an hour long!! Now, we are only in port a short time & need to be back on the ship by 3:30. So time was wasting! So, we ended up playing a rousing round of mini-golf interupted only by a quick game of 3 on 3 basketball. I felt like we had the ship to ourselves!! By the end of that is was 12:30 so we ran down to the tenders, jumped on one & got into Cabo by about 1ish. So, we just wandered around, found a couple of bars to hang at, well, really leave the husbands and we girls wandered off to do some shopping!! Really had fun!!

Anyway, we had a great time, so anything you do will be fun!!

We spend our winters in PV and its a great place, and actually a very cheap port day. So, here is my suggestion. Walk out of the port, make a left turn, and than walk up to the corner. Right on the corner of that main street you will see folks waiting for the local buses (you will see Sams and Walmart across the road). These buses cost 5 Pesos (50 cents) and if you have no pesos (its always good to get some local currency) most of the drivers will take a dollar (they make a quick 100% profit). Take any bus that has "Centro" written on the front (often in white paint) and avoid buses that say "Tunel." After about a 10 min ride you will enter the town and will turn on a road that runs parallel to the coast line (one block inland). When you get to a large square (on your right) or almost anywhere along this road, you can get off and start exploring. Walk down to the water and than you will be on the Malecon (kind of a boardwalk) and the main shopping street. If you continue walking away from the ship, eventually you will cross a small footbridge (over the Rio Cujale) into the old town area (also called the Romantic Zone). This part of town has some cheaper restaurants, bars, and its fun. You can get back to the ship by finding the buses that have (Sam's, Walmart) on the front (again in white paint). These buses are one block further inland (you are looking for the one way street that heads back in the direction of the ships). You can also always grab a yellow taxi (negotiate a price) but this will cost you $7 - $10 depending on your negotiating skills.

Hank

We've booked with Mazatlan Frank for Mazatlan for our Nov Princess cruise to Mexico. I'm not finding excursions that I'm dying to do in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo. I've never been to any of these ports before. Is there enough to see just by wandering around PV and Cabo without any real plan/knowing where you are going or is it better for 1st timers to book something even if it's just a sightseeing tour.

I'm a planner and am worried if we get off the ship not knowing where to go to see anything we'll just wander around a little bit and not see anything!

Here is a link to a "low commercial content" web site that will help you navigate the area. http://www.vallarta-info.com/

Despite Hlitner's best intentions, I wouldn't suggest a first-time visitor jumping on the bus (unless you want to start off with an adventure).

Reference this map http://www.vallarta-info.com/hotelzone.html You are at the "marine terminal". The taxis that operate on the port property charge per person at a very high rate. Exit the port property toward San Javier Hospital. When you reach the street corner (stop light/gas station) there will be a number of bright yellow city taxis. They take up to four passengers and the rate is per taxi ride. The rate to the downtown (el Centro) should be 50 or 60 pesos ($5 or $6 USD). Confirm the price before getting into the taxi. (Yellow taxi prices are regulated by zone but it has been a year since we were last there.)

Reference this map http://www.vallarta-info.com/downtown.html The Hotel Rosita anchors the north end of the downtown area and you can wander wherever you want toward the south. On the map, the pale blue strip along the water is called the "Malecon" and is a pedestrian walkway. Most of the shopping & dining opportunities will extend all the way south to Los Muertos beach in old town (la Palapa restaurant) and extends 3-4 block off the water. http://www.vallarta-info.com/south.html

The Cuale river separates "el Centro" (downtown) from "zona romantica" (old town). There are a few good restaurants on the island in the river as well as additional flea market type shops. This river is also a taxi zone boundry. The cost for a taxi ride back to the ship goes up an additional 15 pesos ($1.50 USD) is you grab a taxi south of the river.

There are roughly 1,000 yellow city taxis. Any time two or more tourists pause for a minute, a taxi driver will stop & ask if he can take you someplace. You will never have a problem getting a taxi back to the "cruise ship dock".

Prices on menus and mechandise is generally posted in pesos. They use the "$" too and any price in US dollars will have "USD" immediately before or after the price.

I do not recommend eating food from street vendors. There are "corner stores" on just about every corner where you can get bottled beverages. Stay hydrated and pace yourselves with the adult beverages. November can still be a little warm and humid in Vallarta. The sun, heat and booze can kick your butt if you are not careful. We arrive on the 8th for our annual trip.

Enjoy!

Thanks alot - really appreciate the information, I have printed it out so it will be handy when needed.

We have visited PV over the years from the time it was very small (one telephone, one cab) It is such a big city now, but we still love to explore - We tried to find the site of the old Postada Villarta hotel, last time we were there but never did - any ideas?

Thanks alot - really appreciate the information, I have printed it out so it will be handy when needed.

We have visited PV over the years from the time it was very small (one telephone, one cab) It is such a big city now, but we still love to explore - We tried to find the site of the old Postada Villarta hotel, last time we were there but never did - any ideas?

It looks like the old POSADA VALLARTA, built in 1964 and one of two big resorts in the city prior to 1973, is now known as the Krystal Resort.

Yes, the same Krystal Resort located a few blocks south of the maritime terminal and favored by cruiser for its open access to their facilities.

Enjoy!

THANK You! We will be sure to go there on our Sept 25th cruise. I doubt there is anything recognizable of the 'old' place but it will be fun just knowing it was there.

Actually, some of it is the original, just updated inside.

I thought it might be good to add somemore comments about using buses in PV, since someone described them as "an adventure." The buses work so well in PV, that we do not even bother renting a car when in PV (and we are there 2 months). The companies that run from the Marina area (where the ships are docked) run constantly and you never wait more than 5 min to get a bus. They have even made the buses more tourist friendly by painting on the windshield, a list of the destinations in English (i.e. Sams, Walmart, Centro) etc. Any bus running towards town from the Marina (this would be towards your right as you exit the port) that has "Centro" will take you into town. The buses that have "Tunel" (bad spelling for Tunnel) take a slightly different route through the tunnel that takes the bus directly into the Romantic Zone (these buses totally bypass the downtown Centro area). Personally, we trust the buses even more than the taxis, because they will never rip you off (unless you try to use dollars) and they are safer on the roads because of their size. As to taxis, you have to be very careful at the Marina area. You want to avoid any "white taxi" since these charge a lot more money. The yellow taxis are fine, but make sure you agree on a price before you get in the taxi. The drivers know that many cruise ship passengers are ignorant of local customs and prices, and they have been known to take advantage. By the way, for those that love to walk, it is possible to walk from the marina into town (it takes about an hour). While staying in PV, I love to walk out to Sams and Walmart (great exercise), buy my groceries, and than grab a bus back into town (total transportation cost of this excursion is 5 pesos or 50 cents). I cannot resist putting in a plug for one of my favorite bars. Right accross the street from the Malecon (in almost the center of PV) there is a 2nd floor bar (they also have good meatball subs) called the Cheeky Monkey (if Troy, the owner, sees this plug he owes me a drink). The owner is actually a New Yorker and he sells Margaritas for $1 and beers for $2. The bonus is that you get a million dollar view of the sea, the Malecon, and you can even see the ships in the distance.

Hank

Here is a link to a "low commercial content" web site that will help you navigate the area. http://www.vallarta-info.com/

Reference this map http://www.vallarta-info.com/hotelzone.html You are at the "marine terminal".

Question for you...

We just cruised on the Pride last week and left the ship and were told to walk straight out and turn left to walk to Wal-mart. We turned left too soon apparently and ended up alongside the Pirate ship and other boats. There was a fence with Barbed wire between us and the Wal-mart/Sams. When we asked how to get over there, the police person told us that he would open the gate for us because we were allowed to enter but the local people getting on the boats were not. Why is this...does anyone know?

We were basically just going through the gate to cross the street right there at Wal-mart so we didn't have to backtrack. He did wait until all of the locals leaving the boats had left the area and then he kindly let us through.

Hi,

In PV we did an excursion with Vallarta Adventures to Las Caletas. It is a boat ride away from the pier to a beach hideaway on Banderas Bay. When you arrive you can relax, snorkel, kayak, take a cooking lesson or get a massage. Lunch and beverages are included and on the ride home the crew has a very entertaining show that they do. All in all a very fun day and we even got to be kissed by a sea lion (and get a photo of that)!

You can book on-line ahead at Vallarta-Adventures.com and save 10%.

As for Cabo, of course there is the Dolphin Adventure, ATV rides to the lighthouse, jet skis and parasailing. Walking around town is the typical shops with souvenirs, restaurants along the water, etc.

Have a wonderful trip!

Question for you...

We just cruised on the Pride last week and left the ship and were told to walk straight out and turn left to walk to Wal-mart. We turned left too soon apparently and ended up alongside the Pirate ship and other boats. There was a fence with Barbed wire between us and the Wal-mart/Sams. When we asked how to get over there, the police person told us that he would open the gate for us because we were allowed to enter but the local people getting on the boats were not. Why is this...does anyone know?

quote]

It is because if you take one of those tours and you aren't on the cruise ship, you pay a special fee to get in to the pier area.

Reference this map http://www.vallarta-info.com/hotelzone.html You are at the "marine terminal".

Question for you...

We were basically just going through the gate to cross the street right there at Wal-mart so we didn't have to backtrack. He did wait until all of the locals leaving the boats had left the area and then he kindly let us through.

The problem is that the only gate is not in the direction of Sams/Walmart, but its towards the right (looking from the port towards Walmart). This means once you get out of this gate, you turn right and walk up the side street until you hit the mainroad (at this point Walmart is across the street). On this road you can catch the local buses or grab a taxi. You were fortunate to get a friendly guard who opened a locked gate. Normally, they would motion you around the other way (and its quite a hike).

Hank

... Question for you... We just cruised on the Pride last week and left the ship and were told to walk straight out and turn left to walk to Wal-mart. We turned left too soon apparently and ended up alongside the Pirate ship and other boats. There was a fence with Barbed wire between us and the Wal-mart/Sams. When we asked how to get over there, the police person told us that he would open the gate for us because we were allowed to enter but the local people getting on the boats were not. Why is this...does anyone know?

The port, its operation and expansion is financed through a user fee. It costs 15 pesos to enter the port (and is already paid by cruisers in your port fees). As a land vacationer, I pay the 15 peso fee every time I take an excursion that originates inside the port.

Your cruise director should have given you a port map that shows where you should have exited the port and gone for re-entry.

Please use extreme caution when crossing any streets in PV! Drivers are crazy and fast and don't seem to follow any rules.

Cabo is easy and fun. Take a water taxi to Medano beach and hang out at Billygan's or the Office. You do have to have the mobility to get out of a boat into knee deep water. If you can't, just take a short land taxi ride.

Have a great time!

I thought it might be good to add somemore comments about using buses in PV, since someone described them as "an adventure." The buses work so well in PV, that we do not even bother renting a car when in PV (and we are there 2 months). The companies that run from the Marina area (where the ships are docked) run constantly and you never wait more than 5 min to get a bus. They have even made the buses more tourist friendly by painting on the windshield, a list of the destinations in English (i.e. Sams, Walmart, Centro) etc. Any bus running towards town from the Marina (this would be towards your right as you exit the port) that has "Centro" will take you into town. The buses that have "Tunel" (bad spelling for Tunnel) take a slightly different route through the tunnel that takes the bus directly into the Romantic Zone (these buses totally bypass the downtown Centro area). Personally, we trust the buses even more than the taxis, because they will never rip you off (unless you try to use dollars) and they are safer on the roads because of their size. As to taxis, you have to be very careful at the Marina area. You want to avoid any "white taxi" since these charge a lot more money. The yellow taxis are fine, but make sure you agree on a price before you get in the taxi. The drivers know that many cruise ship passengers are ignorant of local customs and prices, and they have been known to take advantage. By the way, for those that love to walk, it is possible to walk from the marina into town (it takes about an hour). While staying in PV, I love to walk out to Sams and Walmart (great exercise), buy my groceries, and than grab a bus back into town (total transportation cost of this excursion is 5 pesos or 50 cents). I cannot resist putting in a plug for one of my favorite bars. Right accross the street from the Malecon (in almost the center of PV) there is a 2nd floor bar (they also have good meatball subs) called the Cheeky Monkey (if Troy, the owner, sees this plug he owes me a drink). The owner is actually a New Yorker and he sells Margaritas for $1 and beers for $2. The bonus is that you get a million dollar view of the sea, the Malecon, and you can even see the ships in the distance.

Hank

That's too funny! Cheeky Monkey you must know his mom and dad Richie and Rosie they have Taste of Italy great food and very reasonable.

We also use to stay in PV for 2 to 3 months at Suites Marbella always had a great holiday.

Yes, we have met Richie and eaten subs at their Zona Romatica place which was only a short walk from our condo. We seem to get different stories when we talk to that family about who is responsible for their food operations. But Troy says he came first and than convinced his parents to join him in PV. Or course we have learned to not always believe what we hear, so I guess we will be back in January to pump them for more info. This year we rented a condo in Vista del Sol (right above Epoca) so we will only be 30 seconds from "Taste of Italy."

Hank

<<<While staying in PV, I love to walk out to Sams and Walmart (great exercise), buy my groceries, and than grab a bus back into town (total transportation cost of this excursion is 5 pesos or 50 cents). >>>

I agree buses in PV are a great way for transportation. But recently the price went up to Pes. 5,50 p.p.

<<<While staying in PV, I love to walk out to Sams and Walmart (great exercise), buy my groceries, and than grab a bus back into town (total transportation cost of this excursion is 5 pesos or 50 cents). >>>

I agree buses in PV are a great way for transportation. But recently the price went up to Pes. 5,50 p.p.

Egads. It seems like the price increases by half a peso per year. Now we have to deal with paying 53 cents instead of 48 cents for a ride. Guess we will have to call our accountant and redo the budget. But seriously, my favorite bus was one we went on last year that had a rusty floor. We could actually look down and see the street through the floor, and hoped that the bus would not break in two during our ride (this kind of thing never happens in Mexico). We have fallen in love with PV, and now spend 2 months there in the winter. Our Canadian friends have been going there for about 20 years. But, all the new development and future plans have us concerned that we may have to soon look for another winter home.

Hank

We'll I've printed out those maps and I think those will be a great help! I think we're going to give the buses a try! Centro and Walmart/Sams will be the key words of the day! :)

How long is the Malecon from Hotel Rosita to La Palapa? Do you need exact change on the bus? PV will be our first stop. So if we go to the ATM to get Pesos we won't any coins yet. I looked up Mexican currency and it says paper currency comes in 20 as the lowest denomination. If the bus is 5.50 or is it 5,50 and the all we have is a $20 peso bill is that a problem?

Assuming you get a $20 NP bill, it shouldn't be a problem...for 2 of you that's only 9 pesos change. But if you don't have anything that small, go to Soriano's (a large supermarket) right by the pier, buy something (bottle of water?) and get change. The bus is how we use up our small coins, so I couldn't say what the largest bill they will accept is.

Archived