Sad news from St.Maarten

The article said that the dispute involved the current operator of the bar and was related to large unpaid back taxes and improper behavior of the operator as well as unauthorized improvements.

It seemed to imply that the place will remain open under new management.

Hmmm- I'm thinking about retiring in the next few years-What a great place to semi retire and work the bar. I wonder if they have any restrictions on owning/ working a buisiness from off the island.

I cant believe that! My hubby will be so disappointed. Hes an Air Traffic Controller and sitting there eating and having a beer and watching the planes land made his trip when we there last August. Hopefully it cna reopen.

Even if the Sunset Beach Bar doesn't re-open anytime soon, there is another bar at the opposite end of the beach, closer to the resort,called Guys Driftwood Beach Bar. Hubby and I were just there in April, had a great time! The girl here at this bar was making me a frozen mango drink that was out of this world! You can see just past her in the picture, the beach looking down towards Sunset beach bar.Double click on the pic to make it bigger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I understand that the Sunset has re-opened under new ownership. Anyone been since the new owners took over?

Yes, we were there on September 25th...

We were never there before, but the beer was cold, the burgers were good, and the planes were still LOW!

We were there in September. Its open and running.

I couldn't tell you the name of it, but we were there Sept 18th and there was a bar on the beach at the end of the runway where you watch the planes. It was quite busy. It was nice.

We rented from Hertz, and as the other posters said, it's a quick walk at the end of the pier to the rental window. It was $96 total for the day. The jeep was a fun way to go around the island. We stopped at a couple beaches, and in Marigot before Maho Bay. The big planes take off in the afternoon, starting at 12:50. Make sure you have a map There is more than "one road around the island" :)

Archived