Post your favorite picture from Alaska thread

SFAM

Since I can't pick just one here are a few of my favs.

Sawyer Glacier July 2006

35d54335.jpg

Tracy Arm Fjord

20e82eea.jpg

Ft Yukon north of the Arctic Circle!

c84a5c41.jpg

I'll post more later!

Great Pictures Everyone!

WOW! Great pictures!!!

I have really good cameras in the past, now-a-days just have my little digital Canon PowerShot SD1100 ... wonder if I should consider getting a new camera so I can get some shots like some of the above on my own ... those pics are all so great, are any of them taken w/ a digital point and shoot?

I have to share this thread w/ my DH ... he doesn't like cold, so isn't real excited about our upcoming Alaska cruise, maybe these pics will help :D

We cruise the end of May! I'll post my favorite pic upon return :p

Many of my pictures were taken with Canon Powershot cameras. I think the Alaska 2005 were taken with a Powershot 500 series. The Alaska 2008 pix were taken with a Canon G9 (my camera) and a Pentax DSLR (DH's camera). The Panama Canal pix were taken with the G9.

Diverearl, your eagle pic is truly magnificent!! I am impressed with how sharp it is and how great the color looks. Do you remember what kind of settings you used on your camera? Does it have image stabilization, did you use a faster ISO? I am concerned, aka afraid, if i don't get it right the first time, I won't get another chance. Of all the wildlife that folks post about in Alaska, I want to get some great eagle shots, then I can be a happy camper!!

Thanks for the compliment but I think it was just set on the auto mode. My success is usually to take a lot of pictures and sometimes I just get lucky. One thing for me is to try and spend lots of time in the places that might produce an opportunity to get a pic, like this dumpster where fishermen put their fish waste.

2669491560091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Then we just got close and snapped away...........

2120607720091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

And I mean real close

2653433220091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

now-a-days just have my little digital Canon PowerShot SD1100 ... wonder if I should consider getting a new camera so I can get some shots like some of the above on my own ... those pics are all so great, are any of them taken w/ a digital point and shoot?

Up until this week I was using a fixed lens Canon S3, nothing fancy but we spent A LOT of time together. Now I'll be cheating on her with my new D60 :D and good shots should be a little easier to come by.

I have to share this thread w/ my DH ... he doesn't like cold, so isn't real excited about our upcoming Alaska cruise, maybe these pics will help :D

We cruise the end of May! I'll post my favorite pic upon return :p

My wife and I both prefer warmer waters but for this scenery (Alaska) I will gladly be a bit nippy. If you stay off the bow areas of the ship and other windy spots the weather shouldn't be toooooooooooooo cold.

Many thanks to ALL the CC members who have posted their favorite Alaska photos

It's been a fabulous way to spend part of my afternoon. We sail in June and every photo just made me more excited to get going! :)

alaskalovr, do you use a polarizer? The harbor is a wonderful picture. The colors are great. Like the eagle too.

Thank you krogerlady

I did not have a polarizing lens. As a matter of fact I just used a Kodak digital, nothing fancy but it has a good lens and hardly any delay. I've been considering a new camera for our trip back to Alaska in May but I've had such good luck with this one that I am afraid to change. When are you going? and have you been before?

Have a great vacation and bring back some good pictures to show us!!

Janet

(Here is a picture of an iceberg in Tracy Arm)

tracy3101.jpg

(And this is the Lazarius Island at Sitka)

sitka58.jpg

Archived