Car rental in Fort Lauderdale

petrellad

It depends on what you want to pay, and how reliable the car has to be. You can always find small local companies who will rent for less than the major suppliers, but you could be out of luck if the car breaks down out in the boondocks.

You can also rent "off airport" from the major suppliers, some say at a lower price than at the airport, but it might cost you extra to get to the supplier's facility. In many cases, if the supplier comes onto the airport grounds, he has to pay fees which will nullify any savings.

Most major suppliers will pick you up at the cruise port and return you there for no additional cost, and the distance each way is only a couple of miles.

we are renting a car in FLL from Sunshine Rentacar, they had the best rate around. They have a shuttle to and from the airport and will take you to the cruiseport after you drop off your car. If you rent at the airport, you have to pay airport surcharges.

I rented from Alamo at the airport. Did all the paperwork online, walked across the pedestrian bridge from the terminal, to the lineup for the class of car we selected, picked one, stopped at the gate for a credit card swipe, and we were off. Can't beat the convenience. Dropping the car off was just as painless. We stopped at the port first and got rid of the luggage, then went back to the airport. They have a free shuttle bus to Port Everglades that leaves from the upper level of the car rental facility.

I would definitely do some online price shopping as I found a big fluctuation between the various on-airport companies for similar style of vehicle. And you can compare to their off-airport prices if they have a separate location. I didn't personally find the cost for convenience to be out of line by renting at the airport, but that's me.

Dan - We rented a car in FLL and returning to Miami the next day and then having them take us to port --- You're post says you can drop your luggage at port first? Can you explain? I didn't realize you could do that.

Petrellad - - we rented from Dollar, one day economy for $40+ taxes

Dan - We rented a car in FLL and returning to Miami the next day and then having them take us to port --- You're post says you can drop your luggage at port first? Can you explain? I didn't realize you could do that.

Petrellad - - we rented from Dollar, one day economy for $40+ taxes

If you were driving your own car, you can drop your luggage before parking, so just do the same thing. We had to show our cruise tickets at the port gate, then we drove over to the terminal. They have all the luggage bins set up in front. I just stopped in front of one, a porter came over and put the luggage into the bin, I gave him 5 bucks, and off we went. This was at the Princess terminal in Port Everglades, but I'm sure it's very similar in Miami.

Can anyone suggest where I can rent a car at a reasonable price in Fort Lauderdale. Should I go with a local? Is it better outside of the airport?

Thank you.

Hi we just had a rental there. Continental Car rental. You call on a courtesy phone for pick up at the airport and go to the office on S Federal Way about 15 mins

You can go check out their web site

http://www.continentalcar.com/

Hope this helps

Cynthia48

We rented from Budget in April. Picked up at the airport and dropped off at their location near Port Everglades. They have a free shuttle to the Port from this location (it is less than a mile). FYI, the shuttle does not run all day, I think it stops about 3 pm.

Elsie:cool:

Archived