Upgrade on already assigned cabin?

basedow

Does it ever happen that one is upgraded with an already assigned cabin?

If you have to ask for an upgrade, can you get a good price on it? At what point should you ask? And whom do you ask? Other than your TA.

Thanks,

Basedow

I was assigned to a cabin on Deck 7 and my parents assigned to a cabin on Deck 8 on our June sailing to Alaska. Less than a month before our cruising date, my TA called and said we can be upgraded to a PH suite with butler at a nominal charge. It was quite the deal. My parents did it but I did not as I like to be lower and a butler to me is alittle too much, especially being solo in my cabin. Now if my bf had joined me, I would've jumped on it.

On a Navigator/Alaska cruise a few years back, we had booked a window suite. Once in Alaska and on board, we quickly realized that we should have booked a balcony. We inquired on boarding about upgrading to a balcony at the reception desk. As the ship was not at all full, we were able to buy an upgrade to a balcony at about 1/2 the additional price of that upgrade.

Now, with so many Regent ships sailing full, I'd recommend getting your TA involved in your upgrade request as soon as possible.

Thanks to you both!:)

My TA has got me upgraded already but it was from mid ship 8 to mid ship 9. I don't think this is a big upgrade really but I'm reluctant to ask her again.

I think I'll wait until we get on board and see what happens. I don't know if they are sold out but I don't think so.

Basedow

basedow, I really don't consider going one deck higher in the same cabin an upgrade, as I prefer to be lower and more midship due to less ship movement (I can get seasick!). Also less time for me on elevators to get to public spaces lower that I use a lot, but some people like to have their balconies higher above the water. Just a matter of personal preference. Like Dolebludger said, once you are on the ship, if there is a better cabin available, you can get it for 1/2 the difference between the published rates of the two categories from what you have to what you want.

Thanks! I'm going to ask.

I suppose the Horizon suites are more desirable than midship on the Voyager? It might be personal preference re: Horizon suites I guess.

I wouldn't mind the PH suite either! I know I'll be happy wherever we are.:D

Basedow

I suppose the Horizon suites are more desirable than midship on the Voyager? It might be personal preference re: Horizon suites I guess.

Basedow

The Voyager is our favorite ship. . . . however, it can have a severe vibration. The suites where you are most likely to feel the vibration are the Horizon suites. While a few people have had no difficulty in aft suites, others have found it intolerable. Just something to keep in mind (midship on any deck should be fine):)

Basedow

This kind of upgrade is pretty rare, at least for free. And if there are better suites available, they may already have been filled by the time you board.

And as you've seen form others' comments, even though the Horizon Suites seem to be desirable, they are probably not as desirable as you'd think. I do know people who have enjoyed them, especially the larger balcony, but I'm not willing to risk it myself.

I'm getting ready to book on Monday on Voyager, and I'm wavering between a G which is not particularly mid-ship (forward), and a PH which is in the same area--the PH looks like a really good deal for this particular cruise, only about $600 more pp. Still trying to decide.

The basic cabins are lovely, really lovely, you can't go wrong with what you have. I like to be lower in the ship for stability, so I'm trying for deck 7 (usually choose deck 6.)

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I too am afraid to commit to the Horizon suite, even if it were free! PH sounds good too but I don't think we'd pay too much more for an upgrade.

Basedow

Basedow:

As I have posted before, a few years ago we booked an "H guarantee" on the Voyager, and DID get an upgrade to a C Horizon suite. Then, when the ship cruised at near her full speed, that suite on the stern shook. We asked to get our H suite back, but the ship was full. This does not always happen, but it happened to us, and has happened to others. When we cruise the Voyager again, we will be sure to book a suite forward of the laundry room locations on the decks. The Voyager is very smooth there.

Wendy - you said: "I'm getting ready to book on Monday on Voyager, and I'm wavering between a G which is not particularly mid-ship (forward), and a PH which is in the same area--the PH looks like a really good deal for this particular cruise, only about $600 more pp. "

You travel on Regent a lot (and your expertise is very useful to us all¨!!) so I am wondering why you are even asking the question...the difference between the "normal" suites on Voyager and the PH ones is so slight that I don't think I will ever book a PH on Voayger again...I would rather use the money to shop in port!! On the Mariner, that is another affair. The PH suites are hugely bigger than the others. But sadly, the Mariner is finished for me. I hate showers and almost all the PH suites are now shower only, or will be by 2009!!

Happy Cruising and let's hear about it!!

• 2 weeks later...

The comments about Horizon Suites and vibrations mostly seem to apply to Voyager. We have been offered an upgrade on Mariner to Horizon or PH and I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra money. Anyone have experience with Mariner Horizon suites?

Thanks

While we have never stayed in a Horizon suite on the Mariner, I did "walk the halls" in all areas of that ship to check for such things for future cruises, and never noticed any real vibration (let alone shaking) anywhere. And yes, on the Voyager the shaking could be felt in the halls outside the stern suites. As we have been on what is now all of Regent's fleet (plus the Diamond), we have felt noticeable vibration on all of the current fleet EXCEPT the Mariner.

Sea motion, however, is just naturally more pronounced toward the stern and the bow. But this is a matter much different than mechanical vibration and/or shaking.

Have an Horizon suite on the Mariner in December. Should I be concerned? Everything I have read here leads me to believe there is not the vibration problem on the Mariner that is occurring on the other two ships. . . Am I correct? Has anyone stayed in 992? Thanks

I love the Horizon suites on the Mariner. They're fantastic. The only thing I could possibly find to complain about would be there's more walking involved to get to the common public areas. For accessibility to both forward and aft it's better to be mid ship BUT the HS is a great suite on the Mariner. Given the chance, I would leap to get a HS upgrade.

Traveller333,

That settles it for me. We will take the Horizon upgrade if we can get one that has the shower only because I have read on another thread that the shower/tub combinations have very low head clearance. My husband is 6'6" and he would not be a happy cruiser if he could not stand up in the shower!

Archived