Aft Balcony? yea-nay

Bases5

What more to say!!!!! Loved it on the Spirit. The only negative for me was the noise out there from the wake of the ship. Sounded like you were standing under a waterfall & made it more difficult to hold a conversation and therefore didn't leave the door open while we slept. And there was black soot from the stack that spotted the chairs so when DH sat down, he got stains on his shorts so just be aware of it and you'll be fine.

371610300_balconyonSpirit6264.jpg.4205873ac8c38c53c75a4f246d4eb596.jpg

1661799532_balconyonSpirit.jpg.3d324350a32550e706b80fb1da815164.jpg

We were in cabin 6373 starboard corner aft last Oct. You'll love being at the back of the ship. We didn't have any noise at all back there. The view is great. It's kind of like your own little neighborhood back there when everybody's out on their balconys.

Here are a couple of pictures of the back of the ship.

2056800900103836838jOaDxr_th.jpg

playing around, don't know if this will work yet

My wife and I booked an aft wrap around balcony cabin a few years back and it was AWESOME - quite - HUGE balcony - larger room - very few pictures available - we searched hi and low but I have a few - will need to dig them out - if interested - This year 2009 - I was going to book another but chose a suite this time - only a few hundred more. - We loved it -= #7445 - cabin

Yukon

Do you have a larger version of that aft picture where you see the wake. I love it. If it happens to be web shots just click on 600 before you post

Thanks

I only have it on my harddrive - no web based program yet. That is why they are inserted as images and the file size is limited that way. Sorry. I could email it to you.

we booked Carnival Spirit 8g's 7349 and 7351...we have never been on an aft balcony with Carnival, but have enjoyed many wonderful adventurues onboard Princess..there were no words to describe the magnificent view of going through the Grand Canal in Venice on the Emerald Princess, C753 aft balcony..

we love the sounds of thew wake at night and leave our sliding door open..no foot traffic..easy access to buffets..especially the Seafood Extravaganza onboard Caribbean Princess..eating lobster and crab on the aft as the sun sets is priceless..

anyone have any expereinces with the 8g's we are on (7349 and 7351 spirit class)

OP, thanks for asking this, because the answers are so interesting!

From what I've read, there are definitely mixed reviews, but so many more positives than negatives that I think I have to try it. :rolleyes:

If anyone has any experience in the 9a Verandah corner wrap balconies on conquest class ships, I'm curious to hear about your experiences. That's what we're leaning towards at this point.

I wonder if the heat issue is true of the corners as well as the center aft cabins ... hmmm ... I'd think there'd be more breeze on the corner ones, but that's a guess on my part (I don't know for sure!).

Just my 2 cents worth....

Pros:

Loved the view

Short jaunt up to the buffet and Lido aft pool

Extended balcony

Cons:

Too hot out there...little breeze. This is the reason we don't book aft balconies anymore.

That was exactly our opinion. :D :D :D

It was just too hot and no breeze at all. DH barely used it--and that was a November cruise. But he did love the short trip to the lido buffet. :D

We prefer a side balcony BUT I believe we are very much in the minority.

Had an aft balcony, cat 11 suite on the Miracle. Balcony was huge. We had 15 people out there with room for more.

Now to the negative: People throw stuff off the top deck and it lands on your balcony. My dd got hit with a lit cigerette :eek: and I always woke up to garbage out there. :mad: Really don't understand what the heck is wrong with some people!

corner afts will have the breeze from their respective sides..at least on Princess they do.

Folsom neighbor, have you ever experienced trash ending up in your balcony too? We havent booked anything aft, I need to be in the middle of the ship...but for those on another cruise we're going on, they really want one.

We have an aft wrap on The Glory next month (YAY!) and were in one on the Triumph last September. Read my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=641071

I included several pics as I know there is a lot of question about these rooms.

Only two things that were kind of annoying:

Room was triangle shaped, had couch, but passage at end of bed to get to the other side of the triangle bugged me.

Deck was HOT...had to put flips or other sandals on, which we learned the hard way,

did not notice any other sound or vibrations. Loved it so much we booked another.

Thanks Bernie, great pics and great review.

I hope the conquest class ships are similar (quiet when it comes to noise up above and no engine noise). I'm sure you do, too, since you're going to be on the Glory. Please report back and let us know what you think. My fingers are crossed (for both of us!).

And have a great cruise.

We're booked in 7327 in December on the Destiny and I was not aware of this. The size of the room appears to be the same based on the deck plans. Can you tell me what is in the place of the couch? Thanks for any info!

you get a chair instead- the room is maybe a few inches narrower. You really cant tell by the deck plans the size of rooms/balconies.

In 7 aft cabins I never experienced trash on any of my balconies.

We're booked in 7327 in December on the Destiny and I was not aware of this. The size of the room appears to be the same based on the deck plans. Can you tell me what is in the place of the couch? Thanks for any info!

Cabin 7327 (8B OSTW) 185/60 sq ft

Beds: twin/king rab:0

View: window and extended balcony connecting balconies: yes

TV; telephone; 110 AC current; individual climate control; hair dryer; wall safe; 3-closets; shower; sofa and coffee table.

You have a sofa... cruisedeckplans.com

:)

I always book the aft cabin. If you look at the deck plans, you will see which cabins have an extended balcony. They are about 1/3rd covered, depending on the ship. (for instance Emerald Princess has huge aft balaconies completey covered) But the best pro is that you can use it everyday. I have had balconies on the side where the wind is so strong you can't stay out unless you were in port. I have always found the weather pleasant, only a few times was it to hot to enjoy and never for very long. And the view is always amazing.

Folsom neighbor, have you ever experienced trash ending up in your balcony too? We havent booked anything aft, I need to be in the middle of the ship...but for those on another cruise we're going on, they really want one.

none at all..but we were on Princess, the overheads completly cover the aft balconies, noone can look down into your balcony area. On the side balconies Caribe and Dolphin decks where they are staggered out, everyone gets junk from above.

We had 4237 on Carnival Spirit in April. The balcony was completely covered but we had ash rain down on our balcony during the night sailing from Kauai to Oahu. It was the only night we had a problem on a twelve day cruise but it does happen. We have had aft balconies on the Conquest and trash tossed by fellow passengers from deck 10 was found every morning. It's just a problem we are more than willing to deal with for the benefits of a quiet corridor, a beautiful view, less wind and the ability to stretch-out while lounging on our private deck space.:)

none at all..but we were on Princess, the overheads completly cover the aft balconies, noone can look down into your balcony area. On the side balconies Caribe and Dolphin decks where they are staggered out, everyone gets junk from above.

the aft cat BB (C753) on the caribbean princess was by far the best aft cabin we ever had. VERY private---only one neighbor.

Trock, do you know if I have a sofa in cabin 6483 on the Freedom ? I sure hope so, that's where my daughter was planning to sleep !!

Cabin 6483 (9A OSTW) 185/75 sq ft

beds: twin/king rab:0

View: 2 windows and wrap-around balcony connecting balconies: yes

TV; telephone; 110 AC current; individual climate control; hair dryer wall safe; minibar; 3-closets; shower; chair and coffee table

Note: Cabin has twin/king-1 sofabed on: LI - FD (9A OST3).

I am not understanding this last part of the paragraph....

But yes there is a sofa

On Decks: Upper, Verandah, Empress

Category 9A: Large private balcony, twin beds convert to king. Ample drawer and closet space, private facilities (shower, basin and toilet), telephone, color TV, and sitting area with sofa.

(Average size 185 plus 75 sq/ft balcony).

Archived