Same cabin different tax

I just priced a cruise first with no air and second with Royal Caribbean air. I used the same cabin/category each time. First price had a tax of $202 and the second had a tax of $337. The only reason I can think of is that they put the air tax/fees with the cruise taxes. That makes the air look lower in cost than it actually is if one is not observant.

I usually book my own air but like to see what the difference in cost is compared to cruise air. So, does anyone know if that is where they put cruise air taxes?

Yes, that would be the air tax that you see included in the $337. You're correct, the airfare they quote doesn't include the air tax, which is rather misleading if you don't pay attention. :(

I just priced a cruise first with no air and second with Royal Caribbean air. I used the same cabin/category each time. First price had a tax of $202 and the second had a tax of $337. The only reason I can think of is that they put the air tax/fees with the cruise taxes. That makes the air look lower in cost than it actually is if one is not observant.

I usually book my own air but like to see what the difference in cost is compared to cruise air. So, does anyone know if that is where they put cruise air taxes?

Yep, that's exactly where they put the air taxes (they ARE taxes after all!).

I agree it's a bit deceptive- it definitely makes you think the airfare is alot cheaper than it really is. But when you compare one cruise with another you can also see where the air taxes are higher! Some airports have taxes MUCH higher than others.

I booked a cabin and then added air lately so I checked my invoices. Sure enough my taxes were greater when I booked the air. It was only $10 and change, so I'm not complaining. Thanks for the heads up.

Tucker in Texas

$10 that's pretty surprising!

Yes, that would be the air tax that you see included in the $337. You're correct, the airfare they quote doesn't include the air tax, which is rather misleading if you don't pay attention. :(

In reality, the practice of reporting air fare excluding tax is the same as the airlines' websites, so I respectfully disagree with your asessment that it's misleading. It's just standard practice.

In reality, the practice of reporting air fare excluding tax is the same as the airlines' websites, so I respectfully disagree with your asessment that it's misleading. It's just standard practice.

Airline websites show the taxes and you can even see what type each tax is i.e. security, airport fee, etc. Royal Caribbean is lumping them all together so you don't know what part of the tax is cruise tax and what is air tax unless you price both ways. If I hadn't written the prices down, I might have overlooked this.

In the end, one is paying the same amount of money but I feel it is indeed misleading. Why can't they just list both taxes if they aren't trying to mislead us. They don't have any problem listing insurance, etc. so why not air tax also?

Archived