Cruise control - Ships cut fuel cost

Good morning, Gordon.

Fascinating article.

I took the liberty of cutting and pasting a small section here:

SHIP UPGRADES

"Royal Caribbean is replacing thousands of halogen and incandescent light bulbs throughout its ships and its headquarters with energy-efficient LED and fluorescent lights. Timers, motion detectors, and dimmers are planned.

LED lights, he said, generate far less heat, thus having less impact on air conditioning. Heating ventilation and air conditioning are ''quite a significant drain,'' said Sinclair. Royal also is checking ship doors and windows for leaks and installing window tinting".

Perhaps we could all help by keeping our balcony doors closed when the air conditioning is on...............

:D :D :D

Soo, they'll be saving money and energy by the changes, will that be reflected by a lower fuel surcharge or discount to pax? Of course not, goes right to their profit margin. They'd have a better shot at getting pax to 'help' if they saw a benefit of it - but don't think that will happen.

Good morning, Gordon.

Fascinating article.

I took the liberty of cutting and pasting a small section here:

SHIP UPGRADES

"Royal Caribbean is replacing thousands of halogen and incandescent light bulbs throughout its ships and its headquarters with energy-efficient LED and fluorescent lights. Timers, motion detectors, and dimmers are planned.

LED lights, he said, generate far less heat, thus having less impact on air conditioning. Heating ventilation and air conditioning are ''quite a significant drain,'' said Sinclair. Royal also is checking ship doors and windows for leaks and installing window tinting".

Perhaps we could all help by keeping our balcony doors closed when the air conditioning is on...............

Thanks for posting this Gordon. Fuel efficiency is paramount these days, including on the water. Ocean going container ships, tankers and freighters are cutting cruising speeds by up to 20% to help reduce fuel consumption. All onboard energy use is under evaluation. Shipping costs on the oceans have more than doubled in 4 years hence the need for conserving fuel consumption where possible.

Good morning, Gordon.

True but it won't be long before the "me" generation gets here to tell you that it's their balcony that "they" paid for and "they" can do whatever "they" want.:rolleyes: Maybe RCI will get smart and somehow install a sensor that alerts the bridge when balcony doors are open for a period of time or even better, shut off the A/C, blower and all.

True but it won't be long before the "me" generation gets here to tell you that it's their balcony that "they" paid for and "they" can do whatever "they" want.:rolleyes: Maybe RCI will get smart and somehow install a sensor that alerts the bridge when balcony doors are open for a period of time or even better, shut off the A/C, blower and all.

The more modern AI's have this feature, keeping the balcony doors open will shut down the AC. Many of the islands in the Caribbean have no choice and must use oil to fire their electricity production plants. Electricity has become much more expensive for them. Many of the resort chains are European owned so many items consuming electricity (lightbulbs, appliances etc.) are like most of the cruise ships - very energy efficient Euro products. On some islands scheduled brownouts and even blackouts have become the norm for the locals to make sure the tourist areas receive power. Just the way it is unfortunately.

Took even less time for the "I leave a huge carbon footprint by cruising but want to tell others they must be green" generation to arrive :)

The more that pax help with energy conservation the better it is for everyone. If they can't keep the costs down then the fares will go up or there will be even more that you will have to pay for that is now included in the cruise fare.

Everyone should help with energy conservation.

Excellent point Carol.............I still don't understand why anyone would want to leave their balcony door opened when they go to bed just because they like to hear the motion of the ocean. Do they stay up all night listening?:eek:

How anyone can sleep in a cabin leaving their balcony door open when it is hot and humid out.........beats me.

Yep... those darn young whipper snappers... always wanting to have their cake and eat it too. Shame on them... back in my day... we didnt have it like that... those durn kids... Now they're wearing jeans in the dining room... durn kids.... stay off my lawn!

Excellent point Carol.............I still don't understand why anyone would want to leave their balcony door opened when they go to bed just because they like to hear the motion of the ocean. Do they stay up all night listening?

Durned kids... I'm telling you... they just don't know how good they've got it.... they should be thankful they even have air conditioning... back in my days, we had to shove ice down our pants to cool off... dang whipper snappers... think they're so clever.... listening to their rock and roll music... turn that stuff down.

-jtslater

Took even less time for the "I leave a huge carbon footprint by cruising but want to tell others they must be green" generation to arrive :)

Nothing wrong with people doing as the cruise line asks which is to not leave the door open. Some get it and well................................. I was right on who would show up. Some never fail to amuse!!!!!!!;)

the balcony door police were here first - in the second post no less - some never fail to amuse us either - especially when they're Pot calling Kettle black ;)

Nothing wrong with people doing as the cruise line asks which is to not leave the door open. Some get it and well................................. I was right on who would show up. Some never fail to amuse!!!!!!!;)

Bet ya hadda walk 5 miles to school, uphill, both ways - and in the show - with no shoes. Hehehehe. Isn't amazing how people turn into their parents when they get older.

Yep... those darn young whipper snappers... always wanting to have their cake and eat it too. Shame on them... back in my day... we didnt have it like that... those durn kids... Now they're wearing jeans in the dining room... durn kids.... stay off my lawn!

Durned kids... I'm telling you... they just don't know how good they've got it.... they should be thankful they even have air conditioning... back in my days, we had to shove ice down our pants to cool off... dang whipper snappers... think they're so clever.... listening to their rock and roll music... turn that stuff down.

-jtslater

We are a selfish bunch, aren't we?

We are 4-5% of the world's population and consume 1/3 of the total energy output.......

Frankly, I can't imagine leaving the balcony door open more than a bare few minutes. Who wants all that heat and humidity in the cabin anyway......

Not me.

Bet ya hadda walk 5 miles to school, uphill, both ways - and in the show - with no shoes. Hehehehe.

It was only 2 miles, but it was uphill for at least a portion each way - and it was in chest deep snow. :p But my parents could afford shoes.

And we do have the pictures to prove it as that was my journey to school in kindergarten.:D

Soo, they'll be saving money and energy by the changes, will that be reflected by a lower fuel surcharge or discount to pax? Of course not, goes right to their profit margin. They'd have a better shot at getting pax to 'help' if they saw a benefit of it - but don't think that will happen.

Could the benefit possibly be that there wouldn't be a need to increase rates on a future cruise?

They'll be raising the rates on future cruises regardless. They instituted the fuel supplement and kept raising it - it's money in their pocket now - they won't give it up - even though the price of fuel has dropped some.

Could the benefit possibly be that there wouldn't be a need to increase rates on a future cruise?

We are a selfish bunch' date=' aren't we?

We are 4-5% of the world's population and consume 1/3 of the total energy output.......

Frankly, I can't imagine leaving the balcony door open more than a bare few minutes. Who wants all that heat and humidity in the cabin anyway......

Not me.[/quote']

Yeah, and we feed the world, we defend freedom all over the world, and we send food and supplies to every crisis in every third world pit of horror.

Sounds like the rest of the world is getting a heck of a deal from us spoiled people.

jc

We smoke(dirty dogs!), so our blcony door is always closed, and we've ALWAYS only smoked outside, whether it's been policy or not, so new smoking rules are fine with us, and we try not to smoke if there are folks outside on adjacent balconies. All that being said, on Princess, if your balcony door is open, the A/C in the room automatically shuts off.

As for a previous poster's comments about balconies, I can honestly say there have been nights went I couldn't sleep, and have taken a blanket and pillow outside, and slept like a baby in a lounge chair. That sea air can do wonders.

We are a selfish bunch' date=' aren't we?

Not me.[/quote']

Actually it is closer to 21.6% of total energy output. 25% of oil though. I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, your per capita consumption isn't anywhere near the highest, heck we have higher consumption than the U.S. on a per capita basis in Canada - must be from trying to keep warm in the winter :).

Yeah, and we feed the world, we defend freedom all over the world, and we send food and supplies to every crisis in every third world pit of horror.

Sounds like the rest of the world is getting a heck of a deal from us spoiled people.

jc

And you're not the only one's to defend freedom and send food and supplies to every crisis. Although I don't know what this has to do with the OP's original post - sorry. However, I do agree with not keeping your balcony door open, a waste of energy definitely. Most hotels have sensors that automatically turn off the aircon if the doors are opened, and so they should, and if they're not fitted, they should be.

We smoke(dirty dogs!), so our blcony door is always closed, and we've ALWAYS only smoked outside, whether it's been policy or not, so new smoking rules are fine with us, and we try not to smoke if there are folks outside on adjacent balconies. All that being said, on Princess, if your balcony door is open, the A/C in the room automatically shuts off.

As for a previous poster's comments about balconies, I can honestly say there have been nights went I couldn't sleep, and have taken a blanket and pillow outside, and slept like a baby in a lounge chair. That sea air can do wonders.

No offence, but let's not start the smoking debate, I've no popcorn whilst away on business in Oslo!

And you're not the only one's to defend freedom and send food and supplies to every crisis. Although I don't know what this has to do with the OP's original post - sorry. However, I do agree with not keeping your balcony door open, a waste of energy definitely. Most hotels have sensors that automatically turn off the aircon if the doors are opened, and so they should, and if they're not fitted, they should be.

You are correct! The UK is a great defender of freedom as well and another excessive energy user! :D

I was not responding to the OP, but to the person I quoted.....:rolleyes:

Heck while I was in Europe, last month, I stayed at a 5 star resort hotel in St Moritz that didn't even have A/C. Sure wish the rest of the world would join us in the 21st century!:D ;)

jc

No thanks.. I don't want or need BIG BROTHER in my stateroom.

Archived