Credit card hold on sail and sign

cruzfrk

How much of a hold do they put on your credit card? We will be on 7 day cruise. 2 adults, 2 children (children with no charging privledges). The Carnival website explanation is confusing. Thanks for your help.

How much of a hold do they put on your credit card? We will be on 7 day cruise. 2 adults, 2 children (children with no charging privledges). The Carnival website explanation is confusing. Thanks for your help.

So is the answer offered by most of the CCL personnel during phone calls, and those working the embarkation desk, if you ask for more details about your question above. :confused:

During a conversation I had with a (now former) Senior VP at Carnival, I asked why CCL didn't use the term 'security deposit' rather than 'hold', since it seemed to better define the process, and most passengers might better understand what actually takes place financially. I explained that most businesses will post charges toward a 'hold', or post charges in addition to a 'security deposit'. Since Carnival Cruise Lines routinely does the latter, I thought the new term would better define it. In the follow-up letter I received, this executive said my thought process was absolutely accurate, and that consideration would be given to a change in wording.

Let's just say that a charge (hold, deposit, or whatever you want to call it) is placed on your credit card account prior to embarkation in the amount of $200. OK, work with me here, as it's all hypothetical. The sheet you receive under your cabin door says you did really well and only encountered personal onboard charges for your entire sailing in the amount of $214. If the pre-boarding charge was an actual true 'hold', then the only additional charge to your card-on-file would be $14.

That is not the way CCL routinely handles it. The $214 would be in addition to the $200, for a total charge of $414. That initial $200 would drop off your charge account several days later. Carnival will confirm in writing that this is, indeed, their process.

Additional 'hold' charges will be placed on your onboard account when your reach a certain threshold, and this is clearly explained in the boarding documents. So, for example, if you were to visit the art auction and find something you wanted for your home, you can clearly expect an additional 'hold' to be placed on your S&S account for those pending charges. Let's just say several hundred more dollars. At debarkation, the total cost of the art (jewelry, or whatever) is charged to your card-on-file, in addition to the original 'hold' and the secondary 'hold'.

Luckily I've never been dinged with any bank charges because of this process, but it has caused me some problems when I attempted to make another large purchase immediately after a sailing, with that card. An additional hold (expected) had been placed on my S&S due to a large purchase during the cruise. My final charges were not taken from that hold, but were added on top of the hold (not expected). Cruise returned on a Saturday, and CCL makes a release-of-hold request on the first business day after your return. Monday happened to be a holiday, so it was made on Wednesday. Why Tuesday got skipped was never clearly explained. Then the financial institution takes several days to make the release happen.

Moral of this (way too long) story: If you are planning on making a large onboard purchase, make sure you have the leeway for it to be against your account, up to twice, for a short period of time. This may not happen to everyone every single time, but it is a common practice by Carnival, and passengers need to be aware. This is been the case on each of my last six CCL voyages, without exception.

The last time I mentioned this, several came out of the woodwork to say I was looneytunes, but it is what I have in writing (as well as verbally explained) by a senior executive. That's why I'm posting this only as an FYI for all the wonderful members on CruiseCritic, who have offered the rest of us helpful advise as well.

You can put 'cash' on the kid's cards...

They will not let you put cash unless the adult is using a cash deposit, however the will let you put your credit card with a limited. I was just on the Liberty and this was how it worked. Can not use two types of payments for the same cabin for adults and kids.

What a pain in the butt. I can't beleive they are allowed to hold an additional 200. What is the purpose? And that is per person then? Or per cabin? I jsut wondered, as there would be 3 of us, so that 600, thats alot to hold.

What a pain in the butt. I can't beleive they are allowed to hold an additional 200. What is the purpose? And that is per person then? Or per cabin? I jsut wondered, as there would be 3 of us, so that 600, thats alot to hold.

tip, 10.00 a day and since it is cash less ship for whatever you may purchase . I heard it is 170.00 dollars not 200.

tip, 10.00 a day and since it is cash less ship for whatever you may purchase . I heard it is 170.00 dollars not 200.

I guess I don't understand your reply? Are you saying they out the hold becuase of the tip whic his 10 per person a day? What if you prepay the tip?

Jensieb,

You're right! It is a pain in the butt! I'm a sales rep. and commercial traveller. Most hotels, restaurants, etc... put a "hold" on your credit card for the anticipated amount to be spent. This can range from $ 150.00 - $ 250.00 per night for hotels and even more for restaurants if dining with others. The actual amount spent is then charged to your account, but the pre-authorized or "hold" amount does not fall of your account for up to 1 week. This can add up over a weeks travelling expense and I've had upwards of $ 4,000.00 on "hold" against my credit card. What it means is that you always need to have a very hight limit on your card to make sure you can cover both the "holds" and the acutal charges...lol...

I think each bank does it differently. In May we were on an 8 day Carnival cruise and we used our debit card. They only put a hold on the amount we spent each day. At the end of the cruise the full amount of our S&S account was deducted from our bank (all at one time) but that was all...no more holds. It was deducted the day after we returned..we got back on Sun. & the money came out on Mon.

They will not let you put cash unless the adult is using a cash deposit, however the will let you put your credit card with a limited. I was just on the Liberty and this was how it worked. Can not use two types of payments for the same cabin for adults and kids.

Are you sure?

I know of friends who cruised and one used a cc and one used cash.. they were in same cabin...

OK, I cant remember how this goes so I am sure someone can help. ;)

What if you prepay tips AND you have onboard credit on your account.

If you use a CC for the SS account, will they still put a hold on the CC?

Example: Our upcoming 4 night Imagination cruise

We prepaid tips and have $100 onboard credit for the cabin.

SFS, lets try this again:

The following dollar amounts, per guest, are used as a deposit when the Sail & Sign Account is opened:

2-4 day cruises: $100 deposit pp

5-8 day cruises: $200 deposit pp

9 + day cruises: $350 deposit pp

Period end of story, doesn't matter if tips are pre-paid or you have OBC or if there are kids in the party.

If you don't like it, you option to put down a cash deposit. When you go to the Pursor's desk to pay the deposit they MAY be in a mood to negotiate the amount/

I wish my bank released the holds on my account earlier then they did. My initial hold on day one was 400, (2 adults 8 day) then on day 3 then placed a hold for all of day 2 spending it was about 200. then on day 5 they put one on, then again on day 7, then on day 8 they billed the entire ammount which was about 1500, i still had 1200 in holds on the account. Then one by one the holds were released i was home for 4 days before everything was released

I wish my bank released the holds on my account earlier then they did. My initial hold on day one was 400, (2 adults 8 day) then on day 3 then placed a hold for all of day 2 spending it was about 200. then on day 5 they put one on, then again on day 7, then on day 8 they billed the entire ammount which was about 1500, i still had 1200 in holds on the account. Then one by one the holds were released i was home for 4 days before everything was released

We keep a separate account just for cruises, just because of this. We also use it on our Hotel since there is usually a hold there as well. We use cash in ports and a separate credit card for any 'major' purchases. I can see where this could be a problem to those with limited funds!

I can also see where Carnival is coming from.............In our business, if we get a large order for a future delivery date, we will do an "authorization". When the order is then to be shipped, the actual charge is made and the remainder (if any) of the authorization is released at once. An authorization is different than a hold.

Yes, they will.

thanks! We usually use a CC and dont give the kid's charging permission. But this cruise, they are in their own cabin with OBC that is over the amount of gratuities. So, we have to give them permission in order to use the OBC... thank goodness there is a limit you can set for children. I think we are trying the cash option this cruise.

I do agree that it is kinda messed up that you guys are saying Carnival will put a hold on the CC for a young child if the tips are prepaid. :confused: Thats confusing -

Me and the mrs. are planning on using the same credit card, but were going to add cash to our S&S once we get on the ship. If we add say $500 in cash to our account, will they burn up the cash on their first and then start applying charges to our cc? I know the initial hold will be put on our cc no matter what.

I do agree that it is kinda messed up that you guys are saying Carnival will put a hold on the CC for a young child if the tips are prepaid. :confused: Thats confusing -

Has nothing to do with the tips! Everything on board gets charged to the account souvineers, shore excursions, drinks, treats from the Cafe, video arcade. It doesn't matter WHO does the charging, the hold is averaged over the number of people in the party.

I think each bank does it differently. In May we were on an 8 day Carnival cruise and we used our debit card. They only put a hold on the amount we spent each day. At the end of the cruise the full amount of our S&S account was deducted from our bank (all at one time) but that was all...no more holds. It was deducted the day after we returned..we got back on Sun. & the money came out on Mon.

Pretty sure that's how I remember my bank handling it. We never saw a hold after the cruise.

Archived