St. John trunk bay - are ferries every full?

CCJack

Would like to try Trunk bay on our own, we are traveling with 6 and I think it would save quite a bit of money for us to do this on our own. Do we need to worry about the hourly ferries being full and maybe missing our ferry then missing our ship !!!!

Would like to try Trunk bay on our own, we are traveling with 6 and I think it would save quite a bit of money for us to do this on our own. Do we need to worry about the hourly ferries being full and maybe missing our ferry then missing our ship !!!!

When we did this... we grabbed the first morning ferry (9am) and it wasn't very full at all... we were about 5 minutes before the ferry left too...

however, in the afternoon, going back... the later it is, the more crowded... the ferries are also used by the locals to get to and from work so the late afternoon ferry can have a long line and be crowded with people coming home from work...

The ferries can fill up. I've been on some very full ones (both am and pm), and I agree with amybear's comment about the locals.

Get there early if possible and never plan to take the last ferry back.

For your afternoon return, ferries run between St John and Havensight as well as Red Hook. Keep that in mind when you plan; it can be a useful option.

We just did this on our own 2 weeks ago. Although we did have more people on the return trip (at 3pm) the Ferry still had plenty of room for more passengers. It was truly worth the trip! Because we weren't with the ships tour we felt like we had the beach almost to ourselves. I think we paid $ 12.00 round trip per person for the Ferry. $3.00 per person for entry to Trunk Bay. Sorry I don't remember the cab fare. Cabs waiting for you at the Ferry terminal. Have a great time!

thanks for all the useful info. About the $2 taxi - where do you have to cross the street? I remember the St. Thomas dock with a small shopping center by the ships and you get off the ship and walk left to go downtown. Are the $2 taxis downtown?

Archived