Carnival Victory review 8-4 sailing

Gingee

I will try to do a summary of our cruise. Any questions, ask away.

We left on a nice sunny day. We were on board and eating by 12:30 or so.

After that we explored and then sat by the pool for a while. The temperature of the middle pool was very warm. On the tv, the temperature always said 59 degrees for all the pools but I doubt they were.

We did not have any rain at all except for a light sprinkle one night. The first sea day was partly cloudy. I ended up going to the indoor pool which was warmer. Then they opened the top of the pool and it did warm up a little bit because we were more guarded against the wind.

We did not care for the buffet area. It did not have a good layout and so you had to wait in line a lot.

The Captains party was not the greatest either. They never even brought up appetizers. The guy went half way down the line and never came back. My husband saw him standing there eating the food off of his tray. The repeat customer party was better. Never did see the captain though.

The help was mainly good. Loved our waiter. Yugo or something like that. Gave him a bigger tip.

The shows were good. Had a very good comedian on there. Don't remember his name though.

St. John's was okay. Nothing special. We walked to the Reversing Falls. That was kind of interesting. Halifax was a little prettier. Our daughter and boyfriend did the cruise sponsered whale watching. All they saw was the back of a seal and I think something smaller. My daughter said they fell asleep on it. Boyfriend was awake and didn't see anything. They did see dolphins in the ocean when we were cruising. We did a tour of the city in Halifax (cruise sponsered). There was a tour guide (don't remember his name) but he only had one leg but man he was great.

I didn't see anything wrong with the ship except maybe some stains in the hallway. Looked like water stains.

The water slides were warm according to my daughter and boyfriend. The last sea day was perfect. High of 73 but the pool areas were packed.

Any questions? I know I forgot something.

We haven't sailed with Carnival in a long time and are considering the 10/26/08 Victory because of the itinerary. I did have a few questions...

1. How were the dinners in the dining room and if you didn't eat there, what were your other options?

2. What type of cabin did you have? How was the size, ammenities, service?

3. How was the service overall? We've been spoiled on Celebrity but hear that Carnival has gotten a lot better lately.

4. Is there a sushi bar?

5. I think there's a separate kid's pool - did you happen to see it?

Thanks!

Kristin in NJ

We haven't sailed with Carnival in a long time and are considering the 10/26/08 Victory because of the itinerary. I did have a few questions...

1. How were the dinners in the dining room and if you didn't eat there, what were your other options?

3. How was the service overall? We've been spoiled on Celebrity but hear that Carnival has gotten a lot better lately.

4. Is there a sushi bar?

Thanks!

Kristin in NJ

Hi kr :)

I was on the same cruise and will try to answer your questions.

We had dinner in the main dining room every night and thought the food was very good. As a frame of reference we usually sail on Celebrity, but have also been on Royal Caribbean and Holland America within the past year. The one main difference was that Celebrity's menu has a more European flair with sauces, etc.

We had a standard balcony cabin. With the exception of Holland America, it was larger than a comparable category on other mass market cruise lines. When we sail Royal Caribbean and Celebrity we always book a higher category for our cabin, but did not feel it was necessary to do so for this ship. Our bathroom was also more spacious than you will find in a non suite bathroom on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean.

The service in the main dining room was excellent and our cabin steward was very good. Our wait team always checked to see that everything was okay, and noticed if someone did not eat all their food. When that happened they would ask if that person wanted something else.

There was a sushi bar but I didn't try it.

I hope this is helpful

I hope it's okay if I jump in on this thread as I'm planning on sailing Victory when she relocates to Puerto

Rico. We're going to do the Seven Night Southern Caribbean in April 2009, but I'm in the planning/paying stages right now so advice is appreciated.

We are deciding whether or not to upgrade to a balcony for this cruise; our other choice is an ocean view. We've never had a balcony and the price difference is about $150.00 per person so -- what do you think? Additionally, we normally try to stick near the middle of the ship; does anyone have a recommendation as for a cabin? Since I have some time many are still available.

If there's anything else you think a Victory newbie would find important would you mind sharing? I'm sure I'm not alone in needing guidance for this ship. Thank you so very much.

I hope it's okay if I jump in on this thread as I'm planning on sailing Victory when she relocates to Puerto Rico. We're going to do the Seven Night Southern Caribbean in April 2009, but I'm in the planning/paying stages right now so advice is appreciated.

We are deciding whether or not to upgrade to a balcony for this cruise; our other choice is an ocean view. We've never had a balcony and the price difference is about $150.00 per person so -- what do you think? Additionally, we normally try to stick near the middle of the ship; does anyone have a recommendation as for a cabin? Since I have some time many are still available.

If there's anything else you think a Victory newbie would find important would you mind sharing? I'm sure I'm not alone in needing guidance for this ship. Thank you so very much.

Hi Swimmer Steph :)

If the price difference is comfortable for you, I would strongly recommend trying a balcony. There was a time when I thought that a balcony was a waste of money, but then we tried one seven years ago and have always booked a cabin with a balcony since that time.

With all things equal I also like to book mid ship, but Victory has some cabins with larger balconies for the same price. They are at the back of the ship with the same cabin configuration. There are also a few L shaped cabins near the back of the ship that have the same interior square footage, but their balconies are twice as big. We had an L shaped cabin on Victory and really liked it.

One thing to consider is that the cabins on Deck 6 are above public areas, so if you book one of them check to see what is under your cabin.

If the price difference is comfortable for you, I would strongly recommend trying a balcony. There was a time when I thought that a balcony was a waste of money, but then we tried one seven years ago and have always booked a cabin with a balcony since that time.

With all things equal I also like to book mid ship, but Victory has some cabins with larger balconies for the same price. They are at the back of the ship with the same cabin configuration. There are also a few L shaped cabins near the back of the ship that have the same interior square footage, but their balconies are twice as big. We had an L shaped cabin on Victory and really liked it.

One thing to consider is that the cabins on Deck 6 are above public areas, so if you book one of them check to see what is under your cabin.

I agree with Sky. If you can swing it, spend the extra for the balcony. we were on deck 6 in the aft. Near the disco. They did a good job with the soundproofing-- you didn't hear any "noise". However, when I went ot bed I did hear the ... well it was kinda like a sub-woofer or bass. At first I was a bit ticked. But it was rythmic, not too intense, and in the end it probably helped put me to bed. Or was it those 4 martinis?

LOL

CT Mak

4. Is there a sushi bar?

Thanks!

Kristin in NJ

Hey, I'm booked for the 10/26. :D

Come on over and join our roll call if you decide to go.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=15815086#post15815086

I think there is a little kid's wading pool. I saw it briefly at night so I am assuming it is for little kids (no one was in it).

We were kind of in the middle also. Balcony also.

Service was good for our room attendant and dinner also.

I think there is a little kid's wading pool. I saw it briefly at night so I am assuming it is for little kids (no one was in it).

We were kind of in the middle also. Balcony also.

Service was good for our room attendant and dinner also.

Hi Gingee :)

In the cruise highlights video there is a woman from Peoria, IL during the sailaway from NYC. Is that you?

Sky Sweet & CTMak,

Thank you both so much for your replies.

We will be able to afford a balcony on this cruise :D so I'm going to take the advice of those who know and try to book one; one of the larger balconies would be the icing on the cake! Is there a way to learn which cabins have the larger balconies? I wonder if the people at Carnival would tell me?

Thanks for the tip on Deck 6 - that's important.

I'm getting excited!

There is a separate kids' pool - Deck 12 forward, near Club O2. It's a wading pool, no more than a foot deep. My son was 4 the first time we sailed Victory, and he enjoyed the pool.

Sky Sweet & CTMak,

Thank you both so much for your replies.

We will be able to afford a balcony on this cruise :D so I'm going to take the advice of those who know and try to book one; one of the larger balconies would be the icing on the cake! Is there a way to learn which cabins have the larger balconies? I wonder if the people at Carnival would tell me?

Thanks for the tip on Deck 6 - that's important.

I'm getting excited!

When I made our reservations directly though Carnival, I asked their rep to advise me which balconies were larger than other cabins in the same price category. She also let me know which cabins on deck 6 weren't over a noisy area.

Okay yes we are from Peoria and were in the video sailaway. I am the younger one acting like a fool. Dang I was hoping no one would recognize me. Did you buy the video?

Hi Gingee :)

I didn't buy the video but saw it on the ship.

When I saw the section from the sailaway, it didn't include anyone making a fool of themselves. I just remember seeing a pretty blond lady who said she was from Peoria and wondered if it was you.

We did the Victory twice from Miami--Eastern one year, Western the next. We even had the same cabin--balcony rooom 6323 on Upper Deck. It was approximately mid ship and it was quiet as we had cabins above and below us.

Some improvements have been made to the ship since we have been on her. Seaside theatre, sushi bar to name a few but even without those we had a great time both years. Food was great on Victory. We had the same experience with the Captains Party--no appetizers, but got them on the past guest party. The appetizers spoiled my dinner appetite so I would pass on them from now on anyway. All in all--lots of fun and great ship. Sorry to see her leave Miami.

St. John's was okay. Nothing special. We walked to the Reversing Falls. That was kind of interesting

I am going on Labor Day. How long did it take to walk? Did you get directions for the tour office at the dock?

St. John's was okay. Nothing special. We walked to the Reversing Falls. That was kind of interesting

I am going on Labor Day. How long did it take to walk? Did you get directions for the tour office at the dock?

Hi Jay :)

We didn't walk to the falls but there are taxi's at the pier in St John that you can hire for only $50 per hour and that is per taxi not person. We had a van that could accomodate six people, in addition to the driver, and hired it for a personalized two hour guided tour which included the falls. This private tour, which only cost $100 plus tip for all six of us, was very good and I highly recommend it.

I am sorry I do not mean to be rude, but it is St John, New Brunswick; St John's is in Newfoundland,I have been on a few whale watching excursions from Nova Scotia to down south to west coast and I have never seen a whale yet, we have gave up and went to Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada and seen them there, my Grandaughter touched one,you take a chance with them, we are sailing on the Victory in 2010 there will be a group of Friends going from Ontario Canada to Idaho, Michigan, Vancouver Canada and Arizona, so I hope you all took care of her,

sailorwife:)

We just got back Saturday. We walked to/from the falls. It's 30-40 minutes each way. When you leave the gated area of the dock, just turn left. There is a red walkway (pink) which goes along the water. Just follow that. You'll see lots of Joggers, bikers, etc. It's a nice walk. However, when you get to the end of that walk it's another 0.9 kilometers (there is a sign) on a regular sidewalk, and that walk isn't as pretty (4 lanes of traffic, steel factory.)

enjoy!

CT Mak

I think it was about 30 minutes walk to the falls. It's a pretty walk though. It didn't seem as long coming back (maybe because it was more downhill).

In the sailaway, my mom was the one in the wheelchair that stood up and said "I can walk". I am the younger version. LOL

This was our second cruise on the Victory, 5th on Carnival, and 14th overall. We, My DH and I where very pleased! Food was excellent. Malcom made the cruise terrific. Someone won $113,000 The last night, polka table. We had a cabin on Empress, we had selected 7207 and loved it, even with the search light in front. Seeing lady liberty in the weee hours as we came back to NY was beautiful. We are sorry to see Victory leave NY port, as we don't care to fly.Any questions?Last hours we where able to see penthouse suite and reg suite. We where even more pleased with our cat 8b!

Thanks for your opinions on the Carnival Victory. We will be sailing 11/09/08 and we are counting down the days. It's good to hear some good reviews it concerns me to read some of the posts. However, most of the time the experience is what you make of it. This is only our 3rd cruise the 2nd cruise with Carnival. Our cruise last year was on the Carnival Glory. I was wondering how many pools does the Victory have and what you thought of the pools and deck? Would you sail on the Victory again? Thanks!

2cazy8qjn9wxk8w4.png

When I made our reservations directly though Carnival, I asked their rep to advise me which balconies were larger than other cabins in the same price category. She also let me know which cabins on deck 6 weren't over a noisy area.

Thank you; I'll do the same!

BTW, that's a GORGEOUS photo you have in your signature; I'm guessing Greece?

Archived