Coki Beach vs. Sapphire Beach

happybunny1207

Which is the better of the two beaches. It looks like they both offer the same options for watersports. Are there any defining advantages of one to the other? Any insight is appreciated!

We were there in May and did both. Excellent snorkeling in shallow water a Coki though smaller then Sapphire. See my review in the link below. Enjoy!

If you're after a secluded beach with plenty of shade go with Sapphire Beach. Coki Beach has much better facilities, drink service and food. THe snorkeling is great at both places but the water seems clearer at Coki. Here are photos of both. You'll notice at Coki my daughter is able to snorkel in knee deep water. If you're traveling with kids, Coki is best.

http://familytravelfun.com/cokibeachphoto.html

http://familytravelfun.com/sapphirebeachphoto.html

Both Sapphire and Coki are pretty beaches. Coki is a very small beach. Sapphire is longer but also not a very long beach when looking at the sandy part only. Coki has a gentler slope in the water than Sapphire which deepens more quickly. Coki is usually very calm, and Sapphire calm. Coki is usually super clear, Sapphire also clear. Regarding calm and clear; this is the usual status but in both cases it depends on weather systems affecting the water and possibly stirring up the sand. Both are sandy, Sapphire has some pebbles mixed in with the sand around mid-beach and then has a lot of pebbles/coral rubble on the far right side, sandy on the left side. Sapphire has resort/condo/marina developments around/near it; the area is maintained accordingly. The area before/around Coki is a bit seedy. Coki has various vendors that sell drinks, food, souvenirs/gifts and they are housed in small booths along the beach. The vendors approach beachgoers to take drink orders and to sell their wares, rent chairs and so on. Sapphire doesn't have vendors. Both places have food/drink. At Coki there is food/drink service on the beach. Burgers, chicken, sandwiches and the like are available. Sapphire there is a small place a short walk from the shoreline that sells burgers, fish sandwich, beer/soda a few mixed drinks and a couple other things and also beach wait staff taking orders for the restaurant up at the condos. Taxis are available at both places. If you are renting a car and driving; parking is readily available at Sapphire. Parking is limited at Coki but if you get there early you can get a good spot. Do not park in Coral World's parking spaces unless you are going there. Watersports; Coki has snorkeling, dive shop and across the street there are jet skis. Sapphire has kayaks, windsurfers, snorkeling, dive shop at the watersports booth on the beach. They can also book jet skis and parasailing which are located around the corner from the beach at the marina. Both have chairs for rent. Coki has umbrellas for rent, Sapphire does not. Sapphire has natural shade on the right side under sea grape trees, and some on the left side also. Coki has little natural shade but there are a few shade providing trees along the shore.

Coki has good snorkeling for beginners; the fish are used to being fed (which isn't necessary since they are used to it and will come around anyway and also feeding marine life food not usually in their diet like dog biscuits and bread can be harmful to them). Since they are used to being fed they come right up by the shore basically - so quite easy to see a bunch of fish without leaving the comfort zone of being very close to shore. Swim out toward/around the rocks on the right side and it's still pretty shallow and more fish to see. Not a huge assortment of types of fish and very little coral. Water is generally calm so another plus for beginner. Sapphire has a larger area for snorkeling and more diversity in what you see - there are sea grass beds on the left side (when facing the water) and there are fish in there and the possibility of seeing marine life that like sea grass such as conch, also turtles - but neither is a guarantee. On the right side there are rocky outcrops and also a large shallow rock/reef area with a lot of juvenile fish and further out deeper areas with coral, seafans and various fish. The closer snorkeling around the rocks and over sea grass beds are good for beginner adult and kids with assistance from adult. The very shallow areas should be avoided if you aren't very comfortable snorkeling and are not a very good swimmer because it is quite shallow and you need to stay floating/swimming parallel to the rocks to avoid possibly hurting yourself on the rocks and damaging coral and marine life by bumping or standing on them. You can snorkel around the ledges of the shallow area and stay in a regular depth of water; you'll see fish along the ledges and under them. You can go out toward and around the point of the peninsula, it’s very good snorkeling but it’s fairly deep and there is a current so keep that in mind.

Hope that helps.

--Islander

if we first go over to Sapphire and then decide to check out Coki, is it walkable...and if the area around Coki is somewhat "shady" is it even a good idea to walk between them?

also, I do understand that it is important not to feed fish food that is not typically in their diet...so what is recommended? Should I pick up some type of tropical fish food or something of the sort?

The distance bewteen Sapphire Beach and Coki Beach is about 2.2 - 2.5 miles. Its relatively flat, some inclines close to Sapphire. There may be a few spots with sidewalks but for the most part there aren't. Yes the area just before Coki is a bit seedy.

Information summarizing why feeding fishes is not a good idea is available at: http://www.reefrelief.org/science_body4.html.

--Islander

Which is the better of the two beaches. It looks like they both offer the same options for watersports. Are there any defining advantages of one to the other? Any insight is appreciated!

Sapphire!!!!

Read my review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=610217

Loved it so much that we went again on our August 6-15th cruise.

Cab was $11 p\p

Chair rentals still $7

Sapphire Beach is less crowded and more laid back, compared to Coki Beach, which has way more tourists and 'Coral World' right next to it.... both beaches are very nice, in their own way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We went to Sapphire beach on our cruise to St. Thomas. Absolutely loved it, however, if you have water shoes bring them. Mine came in so handy, my DH was envious of mine. The shell and coral starts very close and is sharp. My youngest daughter loved searching for iguanas. They weren't close to people just far enough away to watch everyone. The oldest daughter snorkeled the whole time. It was fabulous.

Just returned from our cruise and visited Coki...as long as you look toward the water it is beautiful! Don't turn around!! There are many questionable shady looking vendors and "restaurants" (I use that term loosely). You can rent chairs, snorkels, etc. I'm sure you can get food and drinks too, but I wasn't that brave. Bathrooms are filthy! I also saw several rats living under the lockers that ventured out to my chair at dusk. Although the water and beach are gorgeous, it was one of the few places that I felt somewhat unsafe. Keep in mind that we were there later in the day and the beach was not very crowded. As far as sapphire beach, we did not go there, so I cannot compare, but based on other postings, it does not seem to have these issues. I must point out that once we got onto the beach (through the vendors parking lots), they did not pressure us to buy anything at all.

Best advice I can give is to ferry over to ST john if you have the time!

No kneeboarding at Sapphire. If your teen wants to try something else there are kayaks, windsurfing, jet skis and parasailing at Sapphire. He could do wakeboarding or kitesurfing with http://www.islandsol.net out at Great Bay (Turtle Cove & Bluebeards Beach).

--Islander

We will be in St. Thomas on the 29th of this month and hoping to go to Coki Beach....can you tell me if you know what the forecast is for then, any help will be appreciated...we read somewhere 60% showers and will be so disappointed as we wanted to snorkle etc...I know the weather forecast is not always correct but wondered if you had an update... thanks

coki beach is a great & safe place place to spend the day but be out of early as it is a very seedy place filled with the locals locked in drug turf wars at night have been there twice in the last year and was told by our server that we were fine by day but be gone well before dark as it is a high crime area at night.she said there have been some shootings there in the past year or so. but we felt safe at the beach but we didn't wonder around .You may see the locals hangin out around lunch time. They seem to gather there and smoke dope and watch the tourist but have nevered botherd us. We are out of by 2-3

We will be in St. Thomas on the 29th of this month and hoping to go to Coki Beach....can you tell me if you know what the forecast is for then, any help will be appreciated...we read somewhere 60% showers and will be so disappointed as we wanted to snorkle etc...I know the weather forecast is not always correct but wondered if you had an update... thanks

It was a bit overcast this morning, cleared up a bit; so sunny with some cloudiness. Not raining.

--Islander

Do you by any chance know the price for parasailing?

No kneeboarding at Sapphire. If your teen wants to try something else there are kayaks, windsurfing, jet skis and parasailing at Sapphire. He could do wakeboarding or kitesurfing with http://www.islandsol.net out at Great Bay (Turtle Cove & Bluebeards Beach).

--Islander

My kids and husband love to sail; we have a 16 ft. hobie cat but it seems you have to pay for lessons first, I wonder if you have to if you don't need them. Although this is a great option for the guys as us girls are taking a tour with Glory Tours and then being dropped off at Sapphire beach where we can meet up with the guys. :p

Do you by any chance know the price for parasailing?

Archived