No car - anything to do in Kahului or Nawiliwili

sazzle99

Hi all

Thanks so much for the loads of good ideas and tips on trips for our honeymoon next year.

We are starting to plan which trips to do from the POA so a couple more questions for anyone who can help....?

Is there anything to do around Kahului and Nawiliwil without a car. Can we walk to anywhere (town etc) or are there shuttles or taxis? We have just decided that we don't want the hassle of driving on the wrong side of the road!

Thanks

Sazzle99, are you coming over from England. I sense you might be uneasy about driving on the right. This Island is great. but you will be limited if you don't rent a car. I think I paid $35 for a midsize car and the wife and I drove to Kea Beach which was just unbelievable. The only problem we encountered was the wild chickens running across the road. We did that trip last December during the rainey season and really had great weather. Do all you can and don't be afraid to get out and drive. The traffic flow was very light. All I can say is "go for it". This Island has beautiful beaches. Tim

Norwegian Sky Alaska 05/03

Norwegian Star Hawaii 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas Meditterean 5/04

Kahului? Not much - shopping malls within walking distance and a windswept rocky beach close by but not really all that recommended for tourists. Some public buses operate and there are some shopping shuttles to Walmart, Hilo Hatties but do a search - talked about it before and I really would think that it'd be a waste of time. If you're not willing to drive, then you may be stuck with doing ship's excursions since all the good stuff is pretty far from Kahului itself.

Nawiliwili - there's a fairly nice beach that's walkable distance from the pier in front of the Kauai Marriott. Not great for snorkeling but good to lie on and to play in the water. I believe NCL runs shuttles to Lihue (main town) so you can walk around as well. This may be a better choice to do on your own than Kahului though if you don't get out there, you'll miss the movie tour, Waimea Canyon, the Na Pali coastline, etc. etc.

Spleen

Yes we are coming from the UK - so we are used to the left. We are planning on doing a Waimea Canyon trip and a Best of West Maui trip - but since we have overnights at Kahului and Nawiliwili it is what to do on the other day.

We may just laze around the ship - after all we are on honeymoon:D !

Thanks for the tips on Nawiliwili though Spleen, it will be nice just to stroll down to the beach

Sazzle99,

Appearently my senses were correct...who would drive in Hawaii on the wrong side of the road? It just had to be someone from the UK. I know because I was in London two years ago and those folks are crazie! They drive on the wrong side of the road! There were signs everywere "LOOK LEFT".

Good news, you are really in for a treat. I really don't think you will get jet lagged in coming to Hawaii but your trip back will be a jet lag you will hopefully never experience again. There are all kinds of activities to do on the ship and take the ship tours if you don't want to try driving on the right. If you are coming during the winter (Nov-Feb) prepare for some rainey days and possibly some rought seas. We did Hawai last December when they were experiencing the big waves. We got lucky and only had one bad night of moderately rough seas which turned out to be the first night. When we got to the big island the next day and the weather was beautiful. We only missed one port which was "Fanning Island" so we got Kona for an extra port. Because of the change in our itenerary instead of the 1/2 day in Maui we got two full days.(Wonderful). No matter what happens you will have a great time. Enjoy the cruise. Don't forget "LOOK RIGHT" Tim and Cathy

Archived