Cocktail suggestions?

CowPrincess

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but will give it a try.

I am a red wine drinker, normally. DH & I are going to the Mexican Riviera on a 10 day cruise, and I find I don't enjoy wine as much when the weather is warm.

So I've decided I need to try some mixed drinks/cocktails/umbrella drinks. I dislike gin, and don't care for coconut. Other than that, I'm game to try anything. Can anyone suggest a yummy, refreshing cocktail that I could be holding and enjoying as I stand by the rail, enjoying my first warm-weather-in-the-middle-of-winter vacation?

I too love my Red Wine!!! But, in warmer weather I just go for a "top shelf" Vodka and tonic. Nothing fancy but it does the trick. Most umbrella drinks are too sweet for my dry red wine taste. Try it. Vox, Grey Goose or Stoli are good choices for Vodkas. What cruise will you be doing?

What cruise will you be doing?

We're doing the Ryndam Sea of Cortez at the end of November. I know I'll enjoy red wine the first couple of days out, as the weather is cooler. But I'm also pretty sure that once we hit Mexico, I'll need something more refreshing.

Thanks for the suggestions! So vodka & tonic (I happen to LOVE tonic!!!), Margaritas (which I know I like), Tequila Sunrises, all sound great. Not the Kahlua, though -- too sweet for me.

Have often wondered about (but never tried) Cosmopolitans and Mojitos. Any thoughts?

You can use Tequila as a base with almost any mixer, so try it with tonic too. I like to put Kaluha in my coffee and I used to have it as a Black or White Russian (vodka and kaluha, sometimes with a cream float).

We're doing the Ryndam Sea of Cortez at the end of November. I know I'll enjoy red wine the first couple of days out, as the weather is cooler. But I'm also pretty sure that once we hit Mexico, I'll need something more refreshing.

Thanks for the suggestions! So vodka & tonic (I happen to LOVE tonic!!!), Margaritas (which I know I like), Tequila Sunrises, all sound great. Not the Kahlua, though -- too sweet for me.

Have often wondered about (but never tried) Cosmopolitans and Mojitos. Any thoughts?

Mojitos are VERY good, but a little strong so be careful!

You should see what the "Drink of the day" is each day. They usually come up with some pretty interesting/fun combinations.

I vote for the Mojito. It's a light summer drink and mostly made up of light rum, sugar water, lime juice and a sprig of mint that is crushed in the bottom of the glass.

I tried them on the Conquest last October and now it is my favorite drink. They also make a good one at the restaurant that starts with a name of a red fruit ;) . So try one before you go!

I vote for the Mojito. It's a light summer drink and mostly made up of light rum, sugar water, lime juice and a sprig of mint that is crushed in the bottom of the glass.

I tried them on the Conquest last October and now it is my favorite drink. They also make a good one at the restaurant that starts with a name of a red fruit ;) . So try one before you go!

I love their mudslides :D

I totally agree that red wine in the summer is hard to drink, unless its in the evening and cooler. We love full body cabs.

I enjoy sweeter white wines like Reislings for hot days. Yep, Mojito is good choice too. Or vodka with juice.

Daph

I hate coconut, however I can manage it just fine in a pina colada! Creamy and wonderful.

If you like chocolate milkshakes - the Bushwacker is my favorite. There is absolutely NO CHOCOLATE IN IT, however it tastes much like a milkshake. Very yummy!!!

Oh, and then there are wine spritzers; sangria; margaritas; mojitos...

• 2 weeks later...

I am a red wine drinker, normally. DH & I are going to the Mexican Riviera on a 10 day cruise, and I find I don't enjoy wine as much when the weather is warm.

So I've decided I need to try some mixed drinks/cocktails/umbrella drinks. I dislike gin, and don't care for coconut. Other than that, I'm game to try anything. Can anyone suggest a yummy, refreshing cocktail that I could be holding and enjoying as I stand by the rail, enjoying my first warm-weather-in-the-middle-of-winter vacation?

Definitely try a lemon drop (served in a martini glass) if you like tart. Or even a raspberry lemon drop. Delish! I discovered Appletini's on the ship in 05 when an Absolut rep was pouring the vodka through this ice sculpture. I was intrigued watching the alcohol go through this sculpture and was positive it was coming out extremely cold and refreshing so she suggest an appletini which is another must try! Enjoy :D

Can anyone suggest a yummy, refreshing cocktail that I could be holding and enjoying as I stand by the rail, enjoying my first warm-weather-in-the-middle-of-winter vacation?

A "Yellowbird" is quite tasty and refreshing. That's always my first choice on a cruise.:)

Cream of tequila in iced coffee!!! margarita (made right, with none of that junky sour mix). Brut champagne and orange juice (mimosa), I even do vodka, seltzer and lime (no sugar). Very refershing as long as you go light on the vodka (no more than 1-2 oz, depending on glass size). :p

I prefer a "Sloe Comfortable Screw" in my cabin......;)

Sloe gin...Southern Comfort and OJ......What were y'all thinking ?????

Whats a yellow bird?

Daph

1 fl oz Bacardi Light Rum

1/4 fl oz Galliano

1/4 fl oz De Kuyper-Creme de Banana

2 fl ozs orange juice

1 fl oz pineapple juice

Blend together, pour over ice.

This is from "Carnival Cocktails" booklet.

Mmm, I wondered what was in a Yellowbird! I had one on my last cruise (drink of the day), and I'll pretty much drink anything, so I ordered it.

My vote is for Mojito! Especially if it's made right, from scratch, not from a mojito mix (which is yucky sweet, usually...). Don't know what cruise line you're going on, but many do make them from scratch (with the simple syrup & muddled mint). Mmmm, I'm thirsty!!! :D

- Jill

A fuzzy shark is great!!!

Peach Schnapps

Blue Curacao (Bols) Liqueur

Fresh Orange Juice

Pour into cocktail shaker - first peach schnapps, then bols. Its a lovely shade of blue! Then top up with the fresh orange - it turns a lovely shade of green!!!

Serve in a frosted glass, with as much cocktail decor as your glass can hold!!!! Enjoy!!!

Archived