Tropical Storm Fay

atljoo

I am not a meteorologist, but I don't think it will affect any cruises this weekend. However, we REALLY need the rain here in North Georgia and it looks like it could reach us by mid-week next week.

That's a thought. You guys are still way down aren't you? Last I heard the lake that supplies Atlanta was more of a mud puddle!

That's a thought. You guys are still way down aren't you? Last I heard the lake that supplies Atlanta was more of a mud puddle!

It's not that bad. We are in better shape now than we were last year. At least it has not been as hot here in Atlanta as last year and we are getting more rain that we did this time last year but with that said, it would be a blessing if this system were to move over us and put more water in Lake Lanier.

It's not that bad. We are in better shape now than we were last year. At least it has not been as hot here in Atlanta as last year and we are getting more rain that we did this time last year but with that said, it would be a blessing if this system were to move over us and put more water in Lake Lanier.

Well let's hope it doesn't do much damage and brings you guys a good water supply drop. :)

Well let's hope it doesn't do much damage and brings you guys a good water supply drop. :)

Yeah that's the issue. No one needs the damage but many of us need the rain. Hopefully she will stay a very weak system and turn out to be a rain maker. I was born and raised in Florida and lived there for almost forty years and only went through one hurricane and two tropical storms in all of those years. None of the three storms caused much damage but it was more of a issue of no power for a few days. Not fun when that happens.

We here in southwest Florida need the rain. Even though we get rain about every other day in the summer, we are still way down. I want my lake out back to come up another foot or two so bring on the rain, but keep the wind down!!! Just put hurricane shutters on our house this year so husband is anxious to try them out.

Hope it doesn't affect the cruises going out of Tampa though.

It is on track to hit Tampa just as we fly in to celebrate my son's 10th b-day before we go stay in Orlando for a few days before our cruise....We like to travel the last week of August when in NJ there is no camp/no school, I only worry about a storm on my cruise..I never stop to think how it can ruin the "land based" part of the vacation!! Well, even if we just get the remains of the storm, a rainy day of vacation will still be a better day than working!! :o

And if Florida needs the rain, then I understand!!

Terry

It is on track to hit Tampa just as we fly in to celebrate my son's 10th b-day before we go stay in Orlando for a few days before our cruise....We like to travel the last week of August when in NJ there is no camp/no school, I only worry about a storm on my cruise..I never stop to think how it can ruin the "land based" part of the vacation!! Well, even if we just get the remains of the storm, a rainy day of vacation will still be a better day than working!! :o

And if Florida needs the rain, then I understand!!

Terry

Just keep an eye out as the path and strength can and usually will change over the next several days.

We fly into Orlando on Sunday night just before 10pm. Do you think it will affect flights coming in? I have this horrible fear that our flight will be canceled and we'll miss SOS on Monday AM. :eek: Also, we're supposed to visit Cococay on Tuesday. What are the odds we'll be able to tender that day? Do you think the waves will be too choppy?

Here is the latest update as of 6:00 EST this morning,

The current forecast track will bring Fay just south or across southern and west central Cuba Sunday into Monday, as it eventually makes a turn in a more northerly direction. The exact track is critical, for if the storm can remain just south of Cuba over open waters for a longer period of time, more rapid strengthening would be possible.

With the forecast of an eventual turn to the north, Fay could become a hurricane as in emerges off the north side of Cuba on Monday. The Florida Keys and south Florida could see impacts beginning as early as Monday or Monday evening from this system.

Residents of Florida and the Southeastern U.S. should continue to monitor the progression of this system through the weekend and into early next week. Now is the time to review your plan of action.

We fly into Orlando on Sunday night just before 10pm. Do you think it will affect flights coming in? I have this horrible fear that our flight will be canceled and we'll miss SOS on Monday AM. :eek: Also, we're supposed to visit Cococay on Tuesday. What are the odds we'll be able to tender that day? Do you think the waves will be too choppy?

You should be fine flying in Sunday night. This morning's news is saying that if Fay comes our way, Tuesday is the day we will see the most weather. I'd say you're in good shape. You're flying in late enough that the afternoon showers should be over and not cause any delays.

Enjoy your cruise!

We live in the Tampa area and yes, we do need the rain. Guess we'll dust off our "hurricane preparation" list and get things ready just in case.

Well for your sake I hope you just get the rain and no other hurricane damage! No one ever wants "rain on their vacation", but having grown up in an area with a lot of farms and always hearing about the summers of the droughts, I understand.

Terry

The models just clustered tighter than before. One is still extremely far east but at this point is dismissed.

at200806_model.gif

The 11am (Saturday) update has shifted the forecast to the east over Florida.

143514W_sm.gif

I'd say, at this point all ships leaving the Florida East Coast (PC, Port Everglades, Port of Miami) should be fine unless they would go through the Florida Straights in the next few days i.e. the Enchantment. Freedom, I would reckon, goes further out, instead of hugging the Cuban coast line on its way to Labadee.

And Tampa has no RCI ships leaving.

But as we all know, it may change over the next few days though a clustering of models is always a pretty clear sign, one way or another.

Archived