Tropical Storm Fay

atljoo

My assessment is that it will be a strong cat. 1. or a weak cat. 2. It appears that it will impact S. Fort Myers, Monday late or Tuesday early. We just returned from Sanibel Island, and the water is very warm-90-91 degrees. As you all are aware, this is fuel for the fire.

You shouldn't see any effects from Fay flying into Orlando on Sunday. The storm, in whatever form it is in at that time, will still be well south of there. We have been in Florida (East coast, Tampa, and Orlando) for the past few days and the storm tracks have already shifted several times and are likely to do so several more times before the storm gets anywhere near here. Yesterday the projected tracks were taking her well to the west of Tampa out in the Gulf of Mexico. Today they are projecting her more easterly which could bring it onshore somewhere in FL, but they still do not even know what will happen as the storm crosses Hispaniola and Cuba. We have had several brief morning and afternoon thunderstorms each day but the weather most of the time has been fine. Rain has been heavier back home in the Boston area the past few days here in Florida.

Depending on the weather conditions in the Caribbean when you sail, your ship may adjust or totally change your itinerary but you should know that the Captain will do everything possible to minimize the effects of Fay or any other storm systems.

Anyone have any idea how this might effect Carnival Conquest leaving Galveston tomorrow and scheduled to be in Jamaica on Tuesday?! Can't seem to find much on the Carnival board or website.

My guess is they'll make it to Jamaica but will likely encounter some rough seas. My boss, his cousin and their 3 children (boss' 14yo son, cousin's 13yo & 7yo daughters) will be on this sailing and it's a first cruise for all.

And to make matters worse they have the farthest forward balcony cabins on the 8th deck. They will definitely feel the motion up there!! And my boss says his cousin gets seasick easily! :eek:

DH is jealous and would love to be on the cruise with them for the ride! :D :p

I guess it's also possible they'll reverse the itinerary. As it stands now it is Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. :cool:

I'll do what I can to beat her up a little for ya! ;)

Thanks.......:) Just don't take to many chances down there. I've got too many good memories of the lower Keys as my Dad's family came from Key West.

We live in Winter Garden, just 30 minutes from Downtown Orlando and 15 minutes from Disney....we wen't to BJ's tonight and already bought some water and tomorrow will get some gas.....

We might have some water here in the enxt days....:p

It will be my first Hurricane if it turns in one because I moved here in December....for you that will cruise in the next days I'm sure your captain will change the itinerary and you'll have a very good cruise...in different but beautiful places with sunny days...:cool:

And good luck for us who live here in FL:D

See you!:)

We fly into Orlando on Sunday night just before 10pm. Do you think it will affect flights coming in? I have this horrible fear that our flight will be canceled and we'll miss SOS on Monday AM. :eek: Also, we're supposed to visit Cococay on Tuesday. What are the odds we'll be able to tender that day? Do you think the waves will be too choppy?

You should be okay. Our local weather here in Central Florida says that only the keys and south Florida will start to get some rain on Monday. Sunday should be fine. We are now under a Declaration of Emergency meaning that they are just preparing in case it turns into something. However, visitors are now under a voluntary evacuation in the keys so cruises into the keys will probably be effected starting today.

Did this system affect Labadee at all?

Fay was passing over Hispaniola where Labadee is located, yesterday and although this kind of storm extends a good distance in all directions from the center, any effects should be about over. What, if any, damage was done remains to be heard but it apparently was a relatively low level tropical storm or class 1 hurricane yesterday so, with any luck, there should be little evidence of its passing to be seen if you visit it in the next few days.

To all our Florida friends, be safe! We'll be thinking of you over the next couple of days.

And I hope this brings nothing more than much needed rain to the region.

Depends on how the system will survive Cuba. The problem right now is, the intensity is a guess game based on satellite imagery. Fay is to close to Cuba for recon planes to enter and get good data. The next few intensity advisories will be mostly imagery and data received from Cuba.

Fay looks eerie similar to Hurricane Charley on 2004

800px-Charley_2004_track.png

It'll be interesting to see how Fay comes out of Cuba because if it comes out somewhat organized I hope 2004 does not repeat:

Around five hours before its Florida landfall, Charley was a strong Category 2 hurricane predicted to strengthen its strongest winds to 115 mph (185 km/h) upon its landfall in the Tampa-Saint Petersburg area.[18] About two hours before landfall, the National Hurricane Center issued a special advisory, notifying the public that Charley had become a 145 mph (230 km/h) Category 4 hurricane, with a predicted landfall location in the Port Charlotte area.[19] As a result of this change in forecast, numerous people in the Charlotte County area were unprepared for the hurricane, despite the fact that the new track prediction was well within the previous forecast's margin of error. National Hurricane Center forecasting intern Robbie Berg publicly blamed the media for misleading residents into believing that a Tampa landfall was inevitable. In addition, he also stated that residents of Port Charlotte had ample warning,[20] as a hurricane warning had been issued for the landfall area 23 hours before, and a hurricane watch had existed for 35 hours.[1]

The first outer band just hit us and I had to chase down my garbage can.

**sigh*** I guess I should bring my stuff in. :rolleyes:

Good luck to us and all others in the path !!!! Brought in all the fly-away stuff!!!!!! We will see what we wake up to tomorrow morning

Here's a prayer that all in the path of Fay will be safe. Please save a little rain for us here in east central Georgia. :) . We lived in FLL when Andrew hit and were visiting when Wilma went through. Be ready and stay safe.

Hi all,

I am in Ocal, so it'll probably rain on my parade too!

All of you Florida people, please jump to the Floataway lounge and join us on the Florida boards. It's a group of Florida people and "Honoray" florida people. We have a great time, meeting each other, planning cruises together, etc., so hop on over.

We leave one week from tomoroww on Sovereign, so lets hope for smooth sailing too.

Stay safe everyone

Archived