need help ASAP - packing now!

CCJack

Do you put the RCL luggage tags on your bags even if you booked your flights yourself and are flying the day before. I think it would be an advatage in case the bags get lost and they have to "find"their way to the ship. However, in the old days, the airport people would take the bags with cruise tags and you would never see them. I do not want that to happen in Orlando, I want my bags for our hotel stay. It is not clear in the cruise documents what you are supposed to do... We are flying in to Orlando today and leaving on Mariner tomorrow.

Do you put the RCL luggage tags on your bags even if you booked your flights yourself and are flying the day before. I think it would be an advatage in case the bags get lost and they have to "find"their way to the ship. However, in the old days, the airport people would take the bags with cruise tags and you would never see them. I do not want that to happen in Orlando, I want my bags for our hotel stay. It is not clear in the cruise documents what you are supposed to do... We are flying in to Orlando today and leaving on Mariner tomorrow.

I do not do it. I am afraid they will get ripped off. If your luggage gets lost, you will be in contact with the airline, and you can tell them where they can drop off the luggage.

Have fun! I will be on Mariner the week after you!!

Terry

We fly in the day before - but we wait and put the luggage tags on at the hotel the night before. We make sure we have something on the inside that gives the ship information - so if they WERE lost - hopefully somebody would open them and get them to us. But at least that does not draw attention to the fact that we are cruising. I think it's less likely that the suitcases are opened that way. Just my opinion... and I'm sure others do it differently.

BTW - we are going to be in your place in 4 weeks. Flying in on Saturday and sailing on Sunday the 14th - on the Mariner. Have a GREAT trip !!

We do NOT put the luggage tags on but we do have name tags on the bags, with several slips of paper in them. The top slip will have our names and the address of the hotel we are staying pre cruise. The night before the cruise we then take that slip out and behind it is a slip that has our names again with the ships name and cabin number. And we put the cruise luggage tags on. The last slip is for the trip home and it has our names and home address. I also on the way down have a big piece of paper inside the luggage with our names and itinerary.

The airlines tend to lose bags when it's THEIR tags on them! I wouldn't confuse them any more than you have to! Wait until you get your bags from the airline, then, remove the airline tags and put on your ship's tags. it only takes a minute and there will be less "clutter" for everyone to deal with. make sure your luggage is locked when ever it's out of your control.

Don't put anything on your luggage that could confuse the luggage handlers. Not only do you not want your cruise tags on the bags, remove any old tags or barcodes that could have been applied to the bottom of your luggage.

I type out our itinerary information, reduce it and fold it into the back of the luggage tags, as well as putting a copy on the inside of the bag. Every piece, including the carry ons. I've even considered a second clear luggage tag, with the word itinerary written on it.

We do NOT put the luggage tags on but we do have name tags on the bags, with several slips of paper in them. The top slip will have our names and the address of the hotel we are staying pre cruise. The night before the cruise we then take that slip out and behind it is a slip that has our names again with the ships name and cabin number. And we put the cruise luggage tags on. The last slip is for the trip home and it has our names and home address. I also on the way down have a big piece of paper inside the luggage with our names and itinerary.

Sue.............I'd say that you are nicely organized!!:D

Rick

Good Idea!!!!!!!:D I am going to do that. I just hope I remember this for next year!!

I remember the day when using RC air and flying the day prior, we had to put the cruise luggage tags on at our home airport. We never saw our bags until we were on-board the ship 2 days later! :eek:

That, of course was all pre 9/11. Now we must claim our luggage at our destination city, take it to your hotel and keep it with us at all times until we turn it over to the porters at the pier. Then hope it makes it to our cabins before sail away! :rolleyes:

As everyone else already answered, don't put your tags on until you are ready to go to the peir. :)

Sue....you are orgainzed!!! I do pretty much the same, just not three seperate papers.

We never show our home address on our luggage tags - (tells crooks you are out of town) - we use my DH's business address. I like the idea of

putting your hotel info on instead - then the cruise tags the day of - and

then the home info ONLY for the flights home. Have a great time :cool:

Another tip for good info on tags as you travel...put a CELL number so if a bag is put on the wrong flight, say it goes to Melbourne Australia not Florida...they can reach you by phone not leave a message at your home.

DD car seat a few years back went to ACT instead of MEL in Australia...next morning the car seat arrived in time for us to check in on our flight back home to Texas. Qantas knew right when we asked where the car seat went...that it was at the wrong place...I think that flight went early and the seat had already been put in the system as at the wrong airport.

Like Sue and others I tend to change tags along the trip with hotel/cruise info and always my cell #...

Enjoy your vacation!

I am so glad I came to this thread because I am cruising next Saturday and its been about 9 years since I flew to a port. I cruised last year but drove. It never occured to me to put on the cruise tags after I receive my bags from the airline when I reach my destination. Thanks for all the great advice even though I didn't ask the question.

countdown.pl?name=wild0826&date=8-23-2008&image=vfin&text=I can smell the sea air already&ship=Enchantment of the Seas

Good Idea!!!!!!!:D I am going to do that. I just hope I remember this for next year!!

This is exactly what we do..... We place the cruiseones on at the hotel the night before. Going down, we place the Airlineones. Ones with all of our contact info including cell phones and do the slips inside the luggage as well. We never want them to have the excuse, they did not know where to send them.;)

Well that's the smartest thing I've heard all day! Good thinkin'!:D

Me too!

Archived