Formal Night Options

TeacherSus

my husband and I have always dressed up for formal nights, but will be traveling with a group not interested in bringing suits and dresses. I'm curious as to what our dining options are on formal night. Are we limited to the buffet if we don't dress in formal attire or can we make a reservation at Murano? I'm not looking to break the rules (PLEASE don't turn this into another jeans in the dining room thread!) but I'm also not interested in being the only ones following the written rules. In a specialty dining room on Princess we were dressed appropriately sitting next to a barefoot man wearing shorts! How common (if at all) is it for people to eat I'm the specialty restaurant (specifically Murano) in "smart casual" wear on formal night?

Thanks for the info!

As long as you are comfortable don't worry, You can also dine at the

area set aside for dining at the rear of the ship, on M class anyway.

I think the smart casual /country club style of dress as practised on Azamara will eventually be the norm .

Please don't slate me for my opinion.

The dress code for the evening applies to both the main diningroom as well as the specialty restaurants and public areas ( theatre ).

If you wish they have fully seated casual dinners in the buffet area in the evenings with white table cloths and waiters. It is a sit down dinner, not a self serve buffet. regular casual clothing is worn and reservations are suggested.

Dave:eek:

my husband and I have always dressed up for formal nights, but will be traveling with a group not interested in bringing suits and dresses. I'm curious as to what our dining options are on formal night. Are we limited to the buffet if we don't dress in formal attire or can we make a reservation at Murano? I'm not looking to break the rules (PLEASE don't turn this into another jeans in the dining room thread!) but I'm also not interested in being the only ones following the written rules. In a specialty dining room on Princess we were dressed appropriately sitting next to a barefoot man wearing shorts! How common (if at all) is it for people to eat I'm the specialty restaurant (specifically Murano) in "smart casual" wear on formal night?

Thanks for the info!

On the Century, here are your options:

1) There is casual dining available in the buffet "area" for dinner but no buffet other than sushi, pizza and the like. You would have a sit-down dinner, served to you, with a menu different from the main dining room but with several options.

2) Murano follows the dress code of the evening--formal/formal, casual/casual, so that would not work on formal night. My gut feeling is that IF the code is going to be enforced it would more likely be enforced in Murano than the main dining room.

Depending on the number of formal nights, the casual dining may be a nice change-of-pace for you and your group.

The dress code for the evening applies to both the main diningroom as well as the specialty restaurants and public areas ( theatre )

Dave:eek:

That is no longer the case. Dress code applies only in the dining room. The rest of the ship is smart casual or above, even on formal nights.

That is no longer the case. Dress code applies only in the dining room. The rest of the ship is smart casual or above, even on formal nights.

It also applies to the specialty restaurant.

Which is it?

Look at posts #8,7,6,5,4

The specialty restaurant is a dining room. Dress code of the evening, whether casual or formal, applies.

It was post 5 that confused me. I think most people differentiate the dining room from specialty restaurants. Your response could easily be interpreted that formal does not apply to specialty restaurants, which I was very surprised to read.

Hi:)

The Specialty Restaurants all USED TO BE formal. A couple

of years ago that changed.

I specifically recall sailing Millennium in Dec 2006 and ate

in the Olympic with friends. We all got dressed up

but others did not.......we were told they changed the code to

match the dining room.

I still prefer dressing for dinner, especially in such a lovely

venue.

So, your confusion is not out of place. And my reply is not

meaning to start a "dress code fight" with anyone else:eek:.

Murano's is outstanding and I do hope you try

it at least once...food and service were fabulous for me:D

Oh, to your other options......"Alternative Dining" was mentioned.

That might be a good choice for ya'll Upstairs near the buffet

BUT it is a sit down dinner, served on linen. About 4 entree choices.

They do request a 2.00 gratuity per person and also ask you make reservations,

although I know walk-ups are taken when space is available.

The wait staff who work up there are in training and no, you are not

forced to leave the tip.

And it is a casual atmosphere.

I looked it up on Celebrity's on-line site in the Q&A section. Here's what it states:

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Garry

Hi:)

The Specialty Restaurants all USED TO BE formal. A couple

of years ago that changed..

Hi Lois - Looking back on my dailies from 2001, the Specialty restaurant used to be Formal on formal nights and informal (jacket for men) on all other nights. And you're right, that did change a few years ago to follow the dining room dress code..

I know what the website states as policy, but I was really wondering about the REALITY onboard. Certainly Princess' stated policy does not allow barefeet and shorts (and this certainly wasn't the norm) but I'm not interested in being the only ones to follow the rules and be at the buffet while other casual dressers enjoy Murano.

I looked it up on Celebrity's on-line site in the Q&A section. Here's what it states:

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Garry

Hi Lois - Looking back on my dailies from 2001, the Specialty restaurant used to be Formal on formal nights and informal (jacket for men) on all other nights. And you're right, that did change a few years ago to follow the dining room dress code..

Hi Karen, I stand corrected:) but I knew it was

dressy;)....It still feels nicer to be "dressed" eating

there though. It is just such a wonderful ambiance.:)

I know what the website states as policy, but I was really wondering about the REALITY onboard. Certainly Princess' stated policy does not allow barefeet and shorts (and this certainly wasn't the norm) but I'm not interested in being the only ones to follow the rules and be at the buffet while other casual dressers enjoy Murano.

I think you would find that the reverse would be true. In Murano, on a formal night, I think you would be the only people attempting to be seated not dressed formally.

Now I'm going to confuse you even more...

Celebrity does not and never has had a buffet on any of their ships for dinner. They have a sit down, casual dinner with waiters in the buffet area. There are also other options such as sushi, grill, etc but no buffet as for lunch and dinner...

My wife and I just recently started to use the Specialty restaurants - we'd not gone before because we loved the main dining room selections and didn't see a reason to pay. But after talking with a few friends about how nice it was, we signed up and had a grand time. We plan on trying it one night a cruise. On our most recent cruise, we made reservations on the Formal night because we knew it would be very special and it was. There was a full mix of dark suits and tux, and beautiful dresses. Don't remember seeing any sports jacket or open-neck shirts - I wasn't really looking that hard, just admiring what the ladies wore and how nice the atmosphere was. I'm afraid instead of being one of the few following the guidelines if you did dress up, you'd be one of the few who weren't following the guidelines by not following the dress code in the Specialty Restaurant. According to a Celebrity survey, 80% followed the formal night guidelines (this included main dining so you can guess what the % is in the specialty restaurant).

I would either suggest your group bite the bullet and bring a suit (tux isn't required and dark suits are perfect, I'm taking one next Celebrity cruise) and a nice dress, or miss formal nights and eat at casual dining which is quite nice, but you'd miss out on what I think is kind of neat on a cruise. Just a suggestion.

Denny

Now I'm going to confuse you even more...

Celebrity does not and never has had a buffet on any of their ships for dinner. They have a sit down, casual dinner with waiters in the buffet area. There are also other options such as sushi, grill, etc but no buffet as for lunch and dinner...

Last word should be breakfast not dinner...

The reality is I've never seen anyone in casual clothing in the specialty restaurant and I've been there many many times.

Hi Joanie:)

When I was in the Olympic there was a couple next to my

table who were totally casual....the reason I noticed it was

the table was too near us not to notice.

And eating in Murano's back in December, there was a couple

behind me (they were sitting there when I was seated) and they

were totally casual as well.

So it does happen.......

Sorry Lois, I meant to say they were not there on formal night. Since they changed the dress to whatever the dress code is for the evening, I have seen more casual wear. However, I still have not seen anyone who was extremely casual. It's such a nice dining room people have a tendency to dress up even on casual nights.

I must admit that when I logged on tonight and saw this thread had gone to two pages I was sure I had been totally flamed. Thank you so much for proving me wrong! With the exception of the last post (judging how judgemental someone else is...are you kidding?) you've all been super helpful. Thanks!

Sorry Lois, I meant to say they were not there on formal night. Since they changed the dress to whatever the dress code is for the evening, I have seen more casual wear. However, I still have not seen anyone who was extremely casual. It's such a nice dining room people have a tendency to dress up even on casual nights.

Hi Joanie:) I agree with you...most folks tend to dress

up in there. Its easy to see other people, the venue is

on the small side;)

Archived