Just got off the Sky some money saving tips!

debbie726

Just a little hint a veteran cruiser gave us, bring a "noodle" with you from home. It will fit easily in your suitcase and is great to use at great stirrup cay or anywhere else you will be floating in the water! I can't tell you how many people commented about what a good idea it was and that they would do that next time!! We also bought on a wheeled cooler filled with sodas and bottled water, our room stewart kept it filled with ice during the cruise!! Great savings and also conveinence!

Thanks for the tip! How was your cruise? We cruise on the Sky next Friday and we're really looking forward to it!

We had a good time and definitely would do it again but there are things that can use improvement!! First off let me say that the air conditioning was nice and cold and the toilets we encountered worked!! Staff was friendly and accomodating. Don't miss the comedian Kominsky if he is still there, he was pretty funny. Now what we did find disappointing for the most part was the food, most of the buffet was just OK and there was one time that it seemed like it was all indian food. Plenty of fruit that was really good. We ate at the Cagney's steakhouse one night, that was pretty good, but you will pay an extra cover chare of 20 to 30 per person. We ate at the Palace and the Crossings the other 2 nights, they are the included restaurants. Had the prime rib one night and sirlion the 2nd time, both were very good. Remember you can order as much as you want of any item so if you want a 2nd staek, go for it!! Never got to try them for breakfast or lunch, but if you have time might be good also! We just walked around in Nassau and went to some of the shops and the straw market, the sellers there are VERY pushy and will change there pricies several times so if you go there never pay the asking price. I wish we had gone to Atlantis and paid to use their facilities but didn't think about it til after the fact. Had a great time a great Stirrup Cay, was a barbecue type meal, burgers were very good!! Please feel free to ask if you have other questions!

I guess you had good weather then? No problems with TS Fay?

We are taking the blow up floats also, looked at the clip on umbrella's at wal-mart but they seemed a little too heavy. What i really need is a big giant fold up sombrero. ;)

Had the prime rib one night and sirlion the 2nd time, both were very good. Remember you can order as much as you want of any item so if you want a 2nd staek, go for it!!

I should have DH do that.

I'm glad to hear about the fruit. We love to bring a bowl of fruit to the balcony for an afternoon snack.

Were the desserts good?

I'm trying to picture a noodle fitting easily in my suitcase. :rolleyes: I bought a blow-up raft from Walmart on clearance for a buck that I'm going to take and just leave there. I also am bringing an umbrella with the hook that will clamp on a beach chair. Glad you had a good time!

Actually we did have the blow up tube for our daughter, and she did use it! We also bring our own snorkeling gear, but there really wasn't alot to see, it's mostly a sandy bottomed cove, my husband did swim out near the big rocks and saw a big grouper but over all the snorkeling was disappointing. Definitely still had a good time though! They offer parasailing and I was willing to let my older 2 kids go by they chose not to as THEY didn't think it was worth it!! They take about 8-10 people out on a boat, said it takes about an hour but you only parasail for about 10 minutes, they did not think it was worth it at $80 a piece!

For those wondering there were plenty of chairs but not alot of loungers, but for the most part people were not sitting in them very much, mostly a place to put your things! Also the lunch buffet stops serving at 2 so make sure you get there before that if you plan on eating on the island.

I should have DH do that.

I'm glad to hear about the fruit. We love to bring a bowl of fruit to the balcony for an afternoon snack.

Were the desserts good?

My kids order double the meat all the time, the boys anyway! :)

As far as desserts the cheesecake was really good but we

Tried to stay away from them for the most part! Sorry!

The wheeled cooler is a great tip - thanks!!

I was hesitant about bringing it but we loaded it with soda and water, gave it to the bag handler and it was delivered to our room with everything else! When we first got in our room, we asked the room stewart for ice and after that he filled it to the top twice a day without us even asking!

I guess you had good weather then? No problems with TS Fay?

We are taking the blow up floats also, looked at the clip on umbrella's at wal-mart but they seemed a little too heavy. What i really need is a big giant fold up sombrero. ;)

We were really worried about the weather but it was beautiful the whole time, we left on the 15th and the only rain we had was in port upon returning on the 18th. Even though the storm was out there by Cuba, water was as calm as could be! not sure how the one going out after us fared though, I heard they left earlier.

Just a little hint a veteran cruiser gave us, bring a "noodle" with you from home. It will fit easily in your suitcase and is great to use at great stirrup cay or anywhere else you will be floating in the water! I can't tell you how many people commented about what a good idea it was and that they would do that next time!! We also bought on a wheeled cooler filled with sodas and bottled water, our room stewart kept it filled with ice during the cruise!! Great savings and also conveinence!

Is your cooler collapsable and inflatable because with the luggage restrictions these days (at least from Canada) I can't imagine lugging one of these on board for just 3 to 4 days.

Is your cooler collapsable and inflatable because with the luggage restrictions these days (at least from Canada) I can't imagine lugging one of these on board for just 3 to 4 days.

It is somewhat collapsable, it is the kind that looks almost like a piece of luggage that has a handle that pulls out and the cooler part of it sort of unfolds for use. It also made a great place to pack our souvenir cups when we left!!! :) You are right thought it may not be worth it if you are flying. It was very convenient though to have drinks readily available in the room, especially with us cruising with 3 kids, that sure can drink alot!!

Another thought, you can just bring some water or soda in the boxes they come in and use the glasses and ice that are in your room. You could buy that in Miami when you get there!

We did the same thing--a fold up cooler that I filled with water and drinks before we left port and I bought those drink mix singles (like lemonaid) to add. I bought some beachballs that blow up and the kids has a game going in the water. They meet so many other kids that way. I also found a sun tent at CVS that folds into a bag the size of a beach chair. It was $15. We had a great day on the beach. Now if you want to see lots of fish you must swim out to the area between the rocks to snorkle. We saw a stingray and tons of fish the day we were out. There is a lifeguard out there on the rocks.

I've never heard this expression before. Can you explain it?

nlvc/Nancy (from your upcoming Repo cruise, MrLee)

I was wondering the exact same thing! Never have heard the expression before. Splain me, Lucy! :p

I think she means a pound of pasta fits into a pot...thus one noodle in a suitcase no problem.

Just a cute pun.

Thanks Barbara. Apparently my wink didn't explain it.

(That's okay...my sense of humor frequently confuses everyone but me...and sometimes me :D )

Can't speak for all rooms but ours did have a fridge however it was full of drinks and bar items from NCL that you can buy. We didn't use it. I just wanted to let people know that it was very convenient to fill a wheeled cooler with your choice of sodas and bottled water and bring it on board. traveling with 5 of us, it saved us a bundle!! Not to say we didn't have our share of speciality drinnks in souvenir cups because we did, but at almost 20 bucks for 2 of them, we were careful!!! :)

That is a great idea about the cooler and bringing the boxes of can soda and water....I usually just bring a couple of bottle waters and buy the rest but if we can stick it allis a cooler/suitcase....it will be better. You were able to bring on soda & water very easily...what about liquor. I like to drink wine (Arbor Mist) that the ships do not sell. Is NCL strict about allowing wine to be brought on?

That is a great idea about the cooler and bringing the boxes of can soda and water....I usually just bring a couple of bottle waters and buy the rest but if we can stick it allis a cooler/suitcase....it will be better. You were able to bring on soda & water very easily...what about liquor. I like to drink wine (Arbor Mist) that the ships do not sell. Is NCL strict about allowing wine to be brought on?

We did not try to bring any liquor on board however it is my understanding that it is not allowed. I read somewhere that you can bring wine but there is a corkage fee (I think) of $15.00

Archived