another question for you pros

fizzy

thank you so much for all of the expert answers to my questions and here comes another. We are booked on the Cloud next spring and my TA has called to advise us that her source tells her that there is a group of 230 people from a Freemasons organization on our date. It took her a bit of digging from a friend at SS to get this exact info. Would we be correct in assuming that ANY group this big will be a problem? thanks--- as usual

I was on Seabourn Legend once with a group of 100. It was like night and day from my previous cruises. A group of 230 on the Cloud? You will be in a vast minority. I'd rebook another cruise in a heartbeat.

Host Dan

I'd cancel immediately. With 230 out of 296 passengers this group will be a club of which you are not a member. They will feel entitled to do as they please, whenever they please, wherever they please. And complaints to the Hotel Director will have little impact as that group constitutes the majority of SS's revenue for this particular cruise. I'm not saying they won't be nice people, but groups tend to take on a life of their own.

How do you even know these people know each other? This may be an incentive group, or it may be just something they booked to get people in their organization an discount. On our first Silversea trip, there was a group, and a couple of the guys were drunk, but we had a good time. There was also a large Spanish group on that cruise. The only thing we noticed with that was that they got a lot of extra assistance on their shore excursions. SS took great care of us, too, but after them m(maybe 5 minutes).

It is a personal decision. I would not cancel something I wanted to go on, but I would see if anything else could be determined. They obviously did not charter the whole ship, and that may have been their initial intention. Like I saida little more info would be better.

Of course I read the original post, that is why I posted because I was trying to add something. There are many national organizations where the people don't know each other, and they may have only organized a one hour cocktail party. You don't know what the situation is, and it could go either way. That is what I am saying...or they may have a string of activities. That is why I said it would be good to know if it was an incentive trip or just a trip they discounted for group members. If it is an incentive trip, they will likely have much more planned.

Whether it is 6 to 1 or not, it is still a personal choice, and having as many facts as possible is certainly better than just saying cancel when all you know is some group booked and might be very interesting in going on what you booked in the first place.

Archived