enough time to get to the airport?

skwirt2

Hello

this is my first cruise and we are going on the freedom of the seas eastern caribbean october 19!!! cant wait. I am wondering if we do the early disembark carrying off our own luggage, can we make it to ft lauderdale airport by 9am?

I've been at FLL shortly after 10 am leaving Liberty of the Seas without express departure. You might make it by 9 am if there are absolutely no slowdowns, nothing to slow customs & immigration clearing the ship, no road construction to slow traffic. No bad weather to delay the ship coming in to port. If you're talking about catching a 9am flight -- find another one definitely. You may make it, but I don't think that I'd try.

We did self debarkation on the Enchantment in January and were at the airport by 8:15am. We weren't even the first ones off the ship.

I think it's quite do-able, but I wouldn't want to book on a flight leaving before 10A.

JMHO

Welcome to Cruise Critic,

In my opinion that is an extremely risky flight to try and make. The ship does not clear customs right away when it arrives in port (and occasionally is even late arriving in port). Typically it is recommended to be at the airport 90 minutes prior to a domestic flight if checking luggage.

It is often wise to pick a flight around noon or early afternoon to decrease stress on the last day of your vacation. About 11:00am is fairly safe (though not comepletely risk free) if you do self-disembark). Yes, it is nice getting home early, but with fewer and fewer flights it now can be rather hard to get on a later flight if you miss your flight.

Enjoy your cruise.

We did self debarkation on the Enchantment in January and were at the airport by 8:15am.

You were sailing from Port Everglades which is 10 minute from FLL. The OP is asking about a sailing from Port of Miami which is 45 minutes from FLL.

well I was considering booking the 10:05 flight. I guess by the sounds of your advice I will continue to watch for fare decrease on later flights. I have already booked the nonstop 8:45 pm flight on southwest for a good price and and watching for lower fares for earlier flights. The 10:05 is only $27 more with a stop in tampa. It was worth a try!

thanks for your help

Archived