Ziti?

Longtonian

A ruben is a sandwich that is pretty popular in the US, especially in delis. It is made of either pastrami or corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and either russian or thousand island dressing and served on marbled rye bread. It is generally toasted or grilled.

Baked Ziti is a pasta casserole dish made with ziti macaroni and sauce (cheese sauce or tomato sauce, which may include meat, sausage, mushrooms, peppers, or onions.

Some of this information was provided by Wikipedia as well as my own cooking knowledge.

A ruben is a sandwich that is pretty popular in the US, especially in delis. It is made of either pastrami or corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and either russian or thousand island dressing and served on marbled rye bread. It is generally toasted or grilled.

Baked Ziti is a pasta casserole dish made with ziti macaroni and sauce (cheese sauce or tomato sauce, which may include meat, sausage, mushrooms, peppers, or onions.

Some of this information was provided by Wikipedia as well as my own cooking knowledge.

Thanks very much! I'd just got to grips with what grits were, so this expands my knowledge of US food terminology (important for us Brits on US cruise ships, so we know what we're getting):)

Hope you enjoy your first cruise! Have a great time

seen the grits on various breakfast buffets, but never dared try them -are they savoury or sweet?

It depends on which part of the country you live. People in some parts of the country prefer their grits with sugar. Being born and raised in South Texas, I prefer my grits with butter, salt and pepper.

The comparison to polenta is a good one. At least on a buffet, if you don't care for grits, then you can always get something else. I would try them with butter, salt and pepper and go from there. Who knows, you may just end up liking them.

;)

I don't think grits are savory or sweet, lol. I think they are just bland with no taste. Now, I have heard of putting cheese in them and I might like that, but still not sure about them.

I agree, kinda like farina or Cream of Wheat. I have tried grits with sugar and a little bit if milk on them. Still don't like them!

I don't think grits are savory or sweet, lol. I think they are just bland with no taste. Now, I have heard of putting cheese in them and I might like that, but still not sure about them.

Thats the way my wife and I eat them. We melt cheddar cheese into them and then sprinkle some on top.

What is or are ziti? Thought I had pretty cosmopolitan tastes, but have never heard of this!:) Also, reubens? Need urgent translation

Ziti is a hollow, tubular pasta. It is the same as or similar to Mostoccioli and Penne.

Originally, the Reuben sandwich (sometimes spelled Ruben) was made open face. First on the large slice of bread was the meat followed by a mound of sauerkraut with the cheese piled on top of the kraut. This was then heated under a broiler until the cheese was melted. Today it is commonly made with a top slice of bread and is grilled. There also is a similar sandwich called a Rachel which uses turkey instead of the corn beef. I have a friend who makes a non-grilled version (double decked) with corn beef, pastrami, bologna, salami, Swiss cheese and Cole slaw instead of sauerkraut.

Probably too late for the OP, but of course you can bring Tony’s on board the ship. I used to love Tony’s but had to give it up when I was placed on a low salt diet. I had forgotten all about it and I thank you for reminding me. On my next trip to the grocery store I will have to check for a low salt version. Because most restaurants do not seem to have a good understanding of seasoning, when I go to a restaurant I generally wear a fanny pack in which I carry garlic, onion and mustard & cayenne powders, Mrs. Dash, black pepper in a disposable grinder and an Italian seasoning (all salt free). I take this on cruises also, but generally the cooks on board seem to be able to do a better job of seasoning without salt and I rarely need it.

I like my grits with the aforementioned butter, salt and pepper, but smoked ham flavor or bacon make them good too.

I'm not into the sweetened side of grits, but then oatmeal and other hot cereals never really did it for me, either.

Geek note: "hominy grits" are made from corn soaked in an alkaline solution, which improves the nutritional value of the corn, and reduces mycospores.

And remember, ya got to cook them grits _slow_! :D

Archived