Mazatlan safety with tours

triplemom

Has anyone used or what do you know about http://stoneisland.mazatlan.com.mx/

We were thinking it would be relaxing.....but I havent heard anything about them...I keep hearing about how great Matzatlan Frank is....but this seems more up our alley.. I just dont want to find out, that we are never heard from again :) I keep seeing those news shows where people are kidnapped etc....and I am taking 4 teenage girls...Plus with Matzatlan Frank he and everyone else guarantee you will make the boat on time....this particular company I have never heard anything about....so I am a little weary......

We were thinking it would be relaxing.....but I havent heard anything about them...I keep hearing about how great Matzatlan Frank is....but this seems more up our alley.. I just dont want to find out, that we are never heard from again :) I keep seeing those news shows where people are kidnapped etc....and I am taking 4 teenage girls...Plus with Matzatlan Frank he and everyone else guarantee you will make the boat on time....this particular company I have never heard anything about....so I am a little weary......

Everything you could ever want to know about Stone Island can be found in this thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=661059

Enjoy!

At first I thought you were joking but then I realized your are seriously worried. News shows tend to dramatize their stories for ratings. I would travel to Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta by myself, with my daughter or with another female.

My dh, ds and I did Stone Island by ourself and it certainly is NOT a place with kidnappers lurk. :)

Personally I couldn't justify spending the extra money for a guide when it is so easy and cheap to go over yourself. The cruise ships are really only about 15 mins away and that includes the water taxi!!

Thank you.. But I was actually referring to the tour company above.....and have not seen anything in regards to this tour operator...

I did a Google search for CATAMARAN PUESTA DEL SOL Mazatlan and had a few reviews come up on Trip Advisor and Trip Advisor UK. Didn't see a whole lot of favorable info in the reviews.

As far as safety is concerned, I really wouldn't worry too much at the established tourist ports along the Mexican Riviera. The media likes to report drug related violence along the US-Mexican border as being common throughout the country. Not true! Kidnapping is big business in places like Mexico City and is almost exclusively local-on-local. Ask yourself, why would somebody kidnap you and your party with no real expectation of being able to collect a ransom?

You are safer in the established Mexican tourist destinations than in most big city shopping malls.

Enjoy!

My Son and his wife to be just booked this trip on my advice. I had read a good review about the trip a couple of months ago.

We have been to Stone Island on our last two cruises on our own- we walked from the ship to the ferry, took the ferry across, ate at Fili's and Victors. Took long walks on the beach. We felt safe the whole time.

We are in our 40's-50's, the kids 20'-30's. We thought they might enjoy the activity.

I copied & pasted the post I read- hopefully it comes up below.

Has anyone else recently been on this tour?????

Now I'm WORRIED that I gave them the WRONG advice!!!!

I always count on people from Cruise Critic to help me out- Please let me know-

thanks!

#

7 report.gif

post_old.gif April 16th, 2008, 08:06 PM

SueCruz user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_14287040", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon14.gifPuesta del Sol in Mazatalan

Just did their tour today and it was fantastic!!!!!!

Picked us up at the terminal, a quick tour of Old Town, a 1 1/2 hour catamaran where we saw lots of dolphins and sea lions, then over to Stone Island for lunch and 2 activities. I did horseback ridning and the banana boat. It was open-bar on the island, soft drinks on the Catamaran.

Absolutely one of the best tours ever!!

Just as you are ready to leave the shops area by the pier, there is a booth selling tours of Mazatlan. The prices seemed elastic - we paid $25, someone else paid $20. You ride around in an open vehicle and go all the places the tours go, except the Paplanta flyers. We enjoyed it. Nancy

Archived