Do not get a facial on the ship

hulahoops

My husband very generously made me an appointment to have a facial on Freedom of the Seas. Big mistake. When I first got into the room she tried to sell me the microdermabrasion facial - annoying. Then the "facial" started...all she did was rub cream cream on my face, wipe it off, and repeat. This went on for 45 minutes or so. Nothing else. Complete waste of $130. Just want to warn others, do not waste your money! I told Royal about this so hopefully they do something.

I have had facials on ships and have always been pleased. I am sorry that you were not. Yes, they do try to sell you other products, but I do tell them first that I am not interested in any . After different lotions are put on they do use a very gentle machine, clean pores, massage, warm towel and then more lotion. I am over 50 and my face just glows after.

We had one on our Alaska cruise, and it was nice and relaxing. They did a lot more than just rub cream on my face! They did the "hard sell" at the end, telling us (sister and me) that our skin "needed" these products, but we refused and that was that. I guess it depends on the person doing the facial. And I know we didn't pay $130, either!

My husband very generously made me an appointment to have a facial on Freedom of the Seas. Big mistake. When I first got into the room she tried to sell me the microdermabrasion facial - annoying. Then the "facial" started...all she did was rub cream cream on my face, wipe it off, and repeat. This went on for 45 minutes or so. Nothing else. Complete waste of $130. Just want to warn others, do not waste your money! I told Royal about this so hopefully they do something.

Sorry you had a poor treatment. You should actually complain to Steiner though. The spas are owned and operated by Steiner and not affiliated with Royal Caribbean. Steiner simply pays Royal Caribbean a fee in order to have their spas on the ships.

I was not impressed with the facials on board either. They will not do any extractions which I feel is a major part of any facial. It is very nice and relaxing but highly over priced.

It really just depends on whose doing the facial. They've always done extractions for me, asking me first if it was okay to do so.

I believe the Spa is an outside contractor, hired by RCCL. Many people here have said that they write on the form "not interested in purchasing products" or something to that effect and usually that takes care of the people trying to sell extra products.

I am sorry you learned the hard way. I did too a couple years back when I received a coupon for 1/2 off of the teeth whitening. Wished I knew then what I know now. Expensive lesson learned.

Any basic facial will feel like they are just putting one product after another on your skin, but they are cleansing, exfoliating, toning and moisturizing in several different steps with several different products. You have to request and pay extra for add-on procedures. The "upsell" is something cruise line spas are infamous for - they do it to everyone. :cool:

Wow, I know what you mean about the sales pitch at the end of

the spa treatment to buy products..my friend got "suckered" big time at least by $200, simply because she can't say NO. She did this

on the 1st day of sailing and drained so much money from

her onboard acct. I felt bad for her. I should have went up

there and demanded a refund for her. Would they even to that?

Does anybody know if you can buy those Elemis products online

without having purchased them before?

I know the markup is tremendous on the ship, and I mentioned

to my spa therapist, I would just go "online" and he told

me I had to have a number code established first.

[quote name=rosebud1g;16149238

Does anybody know if you can buy those Elemis products online

without having purchased them before?

I know the markup is tremendous on the ship' date=' and I mentioned

to my spa therapist, I would just go "online" and he told

me I had to have a number code established first.[/quote]

There's always a ton of Elemis on ebay. A quick Google search also showed results from Amazon and Nordstrom.

I had buyer's remorse after purchasing an Elemis product after a full body massage, and went back to the spa the next day with my receipt and returned it for a full refund. By mistake, they also refunded my massage :X

I think the spa services are a bit overpriced on the ship, but that might just be in comparison to where I go. However, with that said, a basic facial doesn't entail a whole lot. I prefer an oxygen facial to get all the crud out of my face, and I think they do them on the ship, but it's been a while since I've been to the ship spa.

I love getting a massage and facial on the ship. It is typically very relaxing. However, when you get done and then they try to sell you all that overpriced stuff, it stresses me out. So, I passed the last time I was there. It completely defeats the purpose if I have to listen to a sales pitch afterwards.

I pretty much avoid the spa entirely on a ship, unless there is a really awesome and compelling special sale price for a service that I really want. I've been to too many really wonderful spas in various parts of the world, and received WAY better services, for such a small fraction of the price of cruise spa services that I just can't justify the outrageous cost.

We recently spent 3 weeks in Bali, and went to spas every few days. One day we spent the ENTIRE DAY at a spa, getting pampered from head to toe, including a lovely lunch and a restaurant dinner. The entire day (including meals) cost $75. Every single thing they did to us was the best, most luxurious I've ever received, including liberal use of amazing, often hand-crafted products. Many of these products were offered for sale in the lobby, but not once were we ASKED to buy them. (We did buy some anyway :D).

After that experience, it's awfully hard to pay the exhorbitant prices on cruise-ship spas, and then waste a large chunk of the time fighting off the hard-sell. Yes, I know that you can "just say no", but some of them take no better than others. I personally don't appreciate paying money to have someone sell to me.

Moral of the story is: cruise ship spas are, IMO, mostly a rip-off. You can get far better spa experiences on land. I spend my cruise dollars elsewhere.

This is the kind of thing you learn from experience, and/or research on boards like this. Consider it an expensive lesson, I suppose.

If the facial does not include extractions and massage (face,neck and shoulders) then IMO, it is not a basic facial. I can put toner, moisturizer and exfoliation cream or mask on my own face!!! And $130 is outrageous. I live in the Boston metro area(not inexpensive) and pay about half that and get all of the above. Talk about inflated prices! YIKES!!!

Any basic facial will feel like they are just putting one product after another on your skin, but they are cleansing, exfoliating, toning and moisturizing in several different steps with several different products. You have to request and pay extra for add-on procedures. The "upsell" is something cruise line spas are infamous for - they do it to everyone. :cool:

Trust me, this was not even a basic facial.

I do like to treat myself to occassional spa treatments at a well known spa/resort in my hometown. This is a tourist destination, so I know they charge more than the local places. I am willing to pay more for the no kids, hot robes, and total princess treatment I get there. But the place I go is a bargin compared to the cruise lines. Excuse me, one cruise line told me $45 for a manicure...What!

Yes, I feel the cruise lines are very overpriced. I have sailed with several companies and the prices on the ships are about the same, and all way high. However, if I didn't have this spa in my backyard, I might consider the ship a real treat.

Hello Fellow Cruisers

Well I always started my cruise vacation with a massage and loved every minute of it. It wasn't to bad on the pocketbook. Anyway on one of my cruisers my BF and I made appoinments for a facial since they were having a wonderful sale. It was $65.00 after sale and discount.

NEVER AGAIN! It was my first and last. I broke out in such a rash that I would never do it again. I ended up having to avoid the sun as much as possible. My face was red the skin was raised and peeling badly. I take care of my own facials now. Yes they rub one cream after the next one rougher then the next. lol

I have pretty much or less avoided the spa since then since the prices have become ridiculous. I get wonderful massages at Bliss and I dont have to worry about the sales pitch. Although a forceful "NO THANK YOU" typically works for the pushy salesperson.

By all means for those that want to enjoy some you time go to the spa and enjoy. For me personal been there done that.

Happy Sailing!

My wife takes full advantage of the Spa during our cruises. She has a very simple technique to stop the "selling"

When she goes in with the massage theripist, etc. She say "Hi, I am Suzan, every time you try to sell me something, I reduce the tip"

They never try to sell her anything and she tips very well.

My wife takes full advantage of the Spa during our cruises. She has a very simple technique to stop the "selling"

When she goes in with the massage theripist, etc. She say "Hi, I am Suzan, every time you try to sell me something, I reduce the tip"

They never try to sell her anything and she tips very well.

Great tactic! If I ever decide to try another spa service, I might very well try it. :)

Up until my first cruise in 2005, I used to get regular facials, etc., but after that cruise, I decided my money had to go to more important things, like more cruising! Facials are great, just not in my budget anymore.

Buy less, Buy more cruises is my philosophy!

BTW, I love the tip that says about try to sell me anything, and the tip goes down, LOVE that!:D

Sorry, but I have to disagree with a lot of these comments. I'm quite young but have been on a few RC cruises now. I was on Independence in July and my parents said I could go to the spa for a facial as a treat. I have had very bad acne in the past which i have had a lot of treatment for and was also very scared. I had the Elemis Tri-Enzyme facial and I bought four of the products that the lady advised for me and my skin has never looked better. I know it sounds cheesy but the facial helped me a lot. My skin is so much better now that i hardly wear any foundation, which is great for me. The people in the spa were very helpful. So i have to thank them for that. :D

Sorry, but I have to disagree with a lot of these comments. I'm quite young but have been on a few RC cruises now. I was on Independence in July and my parents said I could go to the spa for a facial as a treat. I have had very bad acne in the past which i have had a lot of treatment for and was also very scared. I had the Elemis Tri-Enzyme facial and I bought four of the products that the lady advised for me and my skin has never looked better. I know it sounds cheesy but the facial helped me a lot. My skin is so much better now that i hardly wear any foundation, which is great for me. The people in the spa were very helpful. So i have to thank them for that. :D

Cruiseprincess

I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience. :D Like I said in my post I had a different experience with a facial. I had clear skin when I went in and not clear at all when I came out. Facials are different for everyone.

I also told others by all means enjoy the spa. I dont put a priority on the spa anymore. But I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience. You did not say anything "cheesy" as you put it. You only stated what a good experience you had. I am glad that you had one. I wish mine would of been that way.

Happy Sailing! :D

Archived