Relaxing Day in Aruba Without the Beach?

Sunny AZ Girl

We are going to visiting Aruba on our next cruise. It is still almost 8 months away, but I am already beginning to book private excursions at other islands that have been highly recommended on these boards. So far it is looking a bit pricey for all we want to do, plus I am already getting exhausted looking at our plans! So far we are doing Seways in San Juan, a day at sea, Aruba, snorkeling in Bonaire, touring in Grenada, touring & snorkeling in Dominica, and finally - to rest at our favorite beach in St. Thomas!

Aruba is where we still don't know what to do. We aren't huge beach people and I would like to do some shopping at least at one port. DH would like a tour since we have never been there before. We like historical sights along with natural sights. Is there a way we can take a short tour of the area (even a buggy tour of the city would be fine for me), have lunch and shop downtown? Any suggestions for me?

It seems that most of the threads on this forum have to do with Jeep Tours and beaches. We may end up with one of those anyway, but right now I am more inclined to just having a casual day without getting wet! Or, would we be missing the reason to go to Aruba if we did not join the crowd?:confused:

Imo, switch your beach day and shopping day from St. Thomas to Aruba. The shopping in Aruba is not memorable, the beaches are. The island is small enough that you can see the island in the a.m. Return to your ship for lunch and then head to the beach for the afternoon.

A few months ago, we took a ship's excursion bus tour of Aruba for 3 hours and saw about 2/3 of the island. We went all the way up the coast past Palm Beach to the lighthouse and then down the North Coast, stopping at the Aloe Factory, the Casibiri Rock Formations, and the collapsed Natural Bridge and Baby Bridge. Our guide pointed out other historic or interesting places. It was a relaxing excursion.

Later, we had plenty of time to spend at Palm Beach. A very good day and evening in Aruba. (Our ship was docked from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.)

Thank you for the responses. We chose our beach day to be in St Thomas because we knew we'd be "excursioned out" by then. We like Sapphire Beach there because we can sit in the shade, and when we go into the water we like to snorkle. We do not really care for just sitting at a beach where we can't snorkle! We are not sun worshipers - we live in AZ and spend much of our time avoiding it, LOL!:cool: Chances are I won't even want to shop by then!

However, I like the idea of a morning tour. Perhaps we could do that and then spend some time wandering around the town a bit on foot? Perhaps find a quaint little local cafe for some local 'flavor' for lunch? I like to browse in shops, but usually skip the Diamonds International stores. I head for local crafts, Dutch lace, household items & possible some cute 'island wear' type of stores. Anything like that there?

DH does not want to rent a car or Jeep and go off on our own, so that is not an option. I thought I read a thread about the taxis taking you on a private tour. Do you recommend that? Thanks!

We used Bully for a tour. He was very good and adjusted the tour as we went. It even ran an hour longer, but he didn't expect any more $ for it. We paid him for the extra time, but he really resisted saying "no problem" It was a great tour - pretty much went to all of the highlights of the island. I don't have his email at the moment, but if you'd like to contact him just do a search on the boards. My parents went with and he was especially accomodating with them - highly recommend him.

Contact Bully at bullytaxi79@hotmail.com and perhaps see what he suggests.

Bully is a hard working family man, so may not get back to you within an hour ;), but he will respond. It is nice to know that many others appreciate him besides just our family. He is honest, dependable and being a native Aruban extremely knowledgable about everything Aruban. :)

Hi sunny gal,

If bully cannot accomodate 6, perhaps he will rec someone that will.

Try sending Marco Wix a shout out! He offers small groups and pr trips as well.

Thank you! Do you have an e-mail address for him?

Contact Bully at bullytaxi79@hotmail.com and perhaps see what he suggests.

Bully is a hard working family man, so may not get back to you within an hour ;), but he will respond. It is nice to know that many others appreciate him besides just our family. He is honest, dependable and being a native Aruban extremely knowledgable about everything Aruban. :)

Thank you. I will do that. I may not know for a while what my DB & SIL will want to do. I'm not even sure what I want to do yet, LOL!:rolleyes: It is still 7+ months away, but I know that the best tours and guides book up early. I have every other port already reserved with guides recommended on this board. I really do want to not miss the "Best" of Aruba, but don't want to get so tired out that we can't enjoy the whole cruise.:)

Thanks!!! I looked at the site and that would probably be the better option for us if all 6 choose to tour. Also if there are only two of us due to the price. Everyone is free to do their own thing. I'm just trying to collect as much info as possible. I seem to have been selected 'Cruise Director'!:D

Archived